Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Difference between Browse and Explore (Read 3612 times)
Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Difference between Browse and Explore
Feb 28th, 2006 at 11:52pm

What are the differences between Browse and Explore?

Browse also assigns a drive letter to each drive, but displays al drives in one scrollable window.

Explore seems to differ in two ways:

1. Each drive gets a separate window.
2. If there are not enough available drive letters, EXplore issues warnings, etc. Browse just silently assigns available drive letters.

Are there any other differences between Browse and EXplore?
Are there differences in the operations that can be performed?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Difference between Browse and Explore
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:27am

Quote:
What are the differences between Browse and Explore?

Explore mounts the recovery point as a drive, then invokes Windows Explorer to see/browse that new drive, as well as other drives.

Browse, on the other hand, uses the Ghost Recovery Point Browser program to open and view the contents of the Recovery Point.  It is NOT mounted as a drive letter (you can verify this by then opening Windows Explorer progam and you will not see any additional drives).

Using the Ghost Recovery Point Browser progam, after opening the Recovery Point, you can select the recovery point (C_Drive007.v2i for example) and right click, then Mount Recovery Point, Verify Recovery Point, etc.

Quote:
Browse also assigns a drive letter to each drive, but displays al drives in one scrollable window.

Browse opens a Recovery Point.  If that recovery point contains more than one drive-image, all of them will be displayed, but they are NOT assigned drive letters unless you mount them.  (Verify this by using Windows Explorer and you will not see any new assigned drive letters unless you mount them.)

Here's a reference on Mounted drives in XP:

How to create and use NTFS mounted drives in Windows XP

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:17am

Yes, that's what I tried to say, but you said it better.

In effect, the best way to mount recovey points, if there are no tenough drive letters available, is via Browse, as Explore generates messages if there are not enough available drive letters.

Once mounted, it looks like it does not matter which mmethod was used, and the same operations are permitted either way.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:34am

Quote:
...if there are not enough available drive letters.

It's hard to imagine using all drive letters in a Windows 2000 or Windows XP environment, as compared to Windows 9x.

You can use the Universal Naming Convention.

Instead of mapping a network drive, you can for example easily assign a default directory using the address in the UNC form.  So, in Microsoft Word, your default startup directory doesn't have to be (for example) j: but instead it can be expressed as a UNC-name.

Universal Naming Convention:
\\<server-name>\<share-name>\<directory/filename>

More info:
How to connect to network resources in Windows XP without mapping a drive or a port

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:44pm

Quote:
It's hard to imagine using all drive letters in a Windows 2000 or Windows XP environment, as compared to Windows 9x.

Easily!

A: Floppy
B:
C- D: Hard disk 1, OS on C
E: Zip
F-H: Hard disk 2, OS on F and G
I-M: Hard disk 3, OS on J
N: USB drive
O: USB drive
R: CD-ROM
Q: CD-RW

I would have to disconnect 1 USB drive to map the drives backed up (C-D, F-M).

Since I would rarely want all drives mounted, using Browse allows me to select the drives to mount.

Quote:
You can use the Universal Naming Convention.

Instead of mapping a network drive, you can for example easily assign a default directory using the address in the UNC form.  So, in Microsoft Word, your default startup directory doesn't have to be (for example) j: but instead it can be expressed as a UNC-name.

Universal Naming Convention:
\\<server-name>\<share-name>\<directory/filename>

More info:
How to connect to network resources in Windows XP without mapping a drive or a port

I do not map network drives, no need to do so.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print