Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghosting multiple computers on a domain (Read 8300 times)
brandon

Ghosting multiple computers on a domain
Mar 1st, 2006 at 8:48am

I am in the IT field and my company is in the midst of upgrading most of the users' computers. Is it possible to do multiple ghosting thru a network at the same time? This can save up alot of time and manpower. Wondering if anyone here has successfully done it before?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghosting multiple computers on a domain
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:39am

brandon

What you are looking for is probably the *Corporate* or *Enterprise* versions of Ghost.

Symantec's current offering along this line is here:

Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server Suite

Those versions have server capabilities, and in the older Ghost versions (like v8.xx) you see terms like Ghost Console, and Ghost Casting for delivering Ghost images to multiple machines over networks.

Stand-alone consumer versions of Ghost will not have these abilities.

There does not appear to be a lot of *Enterprise* users that frequent these forums, however--so you may not get much response here.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

brandon

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 8:25pm

Hi NightOwl,

Many thanks for your response. I'll probably try to get a trial version and test it out first. Thanks again =)

IP Logged

sk

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:34pm

Hi Brandon,

I use the Ghostcast Server to multicast images to multiple computers.  It is very easy and very fast.  You just need a DHCP environment and you setup the ghost cast server (quick install) on a main machine and then multicast out from it or back to it from a "model" computer. 

I am just trying to figure out how to make a bootable cd that has the necessary network drivers that you need to have on it for it to talk.  I can do this in Ghost but it makes 2 floppies and I'm having problems combining them onto one bootable cd.

I am multicasting to ibms so i had to add the ndis driver for the broadcom network card...easy to find on their site.  you should definitely try it.  It is totally worth it!

IP Logged

gray

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 6:38pm

Making a ghost cd with nic drivers is not that complicated. I use a cd that contains multiple nic drivers and ghost 8.2 ce.
Here is a website that may be a useful to you. http://help.ischool.washington.edu/faqs/12_29_en.html

You will have to modifiy this to suit your environment, but with a little patience you should be off in no time. I use winimage to edit my boot disk. it makes it easier.

gray

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 9:06pm

Has anyone used the GhostCast Server from BartPE? The Ghost 8.2 plugin seems to allow this. One big advantage with BartPE is that you can add just about every Storage and NIC driver known to mankind in about 60 seconds.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print