Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore (Read 224115 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore
Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:19pm

As you know I wasn't suggesting using Method #2, just looking at the Registry. Every drive letter I've ever used for external HD's and cards is in that Registry page.

WinPE only looks at the active partition so no problem if you are multi-booting.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #16 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:29pm

To all

Just to clarify--the Ghost 8.2 version on on the Recovery CD is the 32-bit version (ghost32.exe), and is not the DOS version (ghost.exe).  So it must run under Windows or WinPE, and can not run under DOS.

When run from WinPE, the OS (usually C:\) partition is not active and you can image the OS partition--whereas if you were running ghost32.exe under regular Windows--then I'm not sure you can image the currently active OS partition.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:46pm

NightOwl wrote on Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:29pm:
--whereas if you were running ghost32.exe under regular Windows--then I'm not sure you can image the currently active OS partition.

That is correct. You can't.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:49pm

Brian wrote on Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:19pm:
WinPE only looks at the active partition so no problem if you are multi-booting.

Brian, good point.  I hadn't thought of that.  So maybe WinPE does examine the registry from the active partition to reconcile hard drive letters and create assignments?  I guess it's possible.

What do you think?

It seems like WinPE controls everything, not Ghost 10 from what I see.

The Ghost 10 User Guide is interesting in section 10 (of the Software License Agreement). Additional Uses and Restrictions, which states that Symantec uses software licenses from Microsoft.  I assume that's WinPE and it says later that there is a "time-out feature that will automatically reboot the computer after twenty-four hours of continuous use."  I guess that's to prevent you from using WinPE forever.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:58pm

Quote:
What do you think?

Beyond me. I hope Dan will answer.

Quote:
automatically reboot the computer after twenty-four hours of continuous use."  I guess that's to prevent you from using WinPE forever.

That's correct but BartPE has got around this limitation.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 9:37am

NightOwl, your point is well-taken:  “if you were running ghost32.exe under regular Windows--then I'm not sure you can image the currently active OS partition.”  It is, however, an empirical question.  As a resident Ghost 2003 guru on the forum, do you feel motivated to run a test and report back the results?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 9:53am

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 6th, 2006 at 9:37am:
NightOwl, your point is well-taken:  “if you were running ghost32.exe under regular Windows--then I'm not sure you can image the currently active OS partition.”  It is, however, an empirical question.  As a resident Ghost 2003 guru on the forum, do you feel motivated to run a test and report back the results?

Pleo and NightOwl, as I understand it, ghost 8.2 is NOT running under regular Windows in the sense I think you asked it.  It is running under WinPE.  
The currently active OS partition is WinPE.
So you couldn't image that (virtual) one.  But every other partition is fair game.

WinPE starts from the CD, creates a ramdrive in memory and loads Windows PE into memory and the ramdrive.  There are three drives open:
z: ms-ramdrive
s: cd-rom
x: ghost

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 10:28am

Based on the prior posts in this thread, it appears that the Ghost 10 recovery environment CD provides a potentially superior method to both create and restore ‘Ghost 2003’-format images.  Since a user needs to reboot into another operating environment anyway to use Ghost 2003, why not boot into the WinPE environment of Ghost 10 rather than DOS?  Doing so seems to deliver access to the corporate Ghost 8.2 utility which has all the functionality of Ghost 2003 under DOS supplemented with the capability of accessing a broad range of external storage devices that can otherwise be problematical to use in DOS.  (I am assuming, of course, that a license for Ghost 10 has been acquired.)

Theoretically, I don’t see any disadvantage to substituting the use of corporate Ghost 8.2 in the Ghost 10 recovery environment for Ghost 2003 under DOS – and, there is the ancillary benefit of supporting a wide range of storage devices.  Correct?

Is there any reason not to recommend such an approach to those who visit this forum in the future?

Should the Radified Guide to Norton Ghost be updated to include this important insight?  (Of course, the phrase “DOS is our tripod” will need to be updated to read “WinPE is our tripod”  Wink.)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #23 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 10:28am

Pleonasm

Quote:
“if you were running ghost32.exe under regular Windows--then I'm not sure you can image the currently active OS partition.”  It is, however, an empirical question.  As a resident Ghost 2003 guru on the forum, do you feel motivated to run a test and report back the results?

Actually, Brian answered that question in his reply #17 above!

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #24 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 10:50am

NightOwl wrote on Mar 6th, 2006 at 10:28am:
Pleonasm
Actually, Brian answered that question in his reply #17 above!

I can be wrong, but I would state again:  It's like saying that ghost under BartPE can't create an image of the active OS partition, i.e. BartPE.  

The active OS partition is the one created on the fly from the cd and (as I understand it) you can't image your on-the-fly WinPE, just like you can't image BartPE using Ghost.

(always willing to be corrected of course.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #25 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 11:42am

NightOwl, it’s “my bad,” Shocked I must confess.

I didn’t notice Brian’s Reply #17 until after I posted Reply #20.  It is just another case of using "more words than are required to express an idea" . . . .

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #26 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 12:45pm

For information on the compatibility of Ghost 8.2 with optical/USB/FireWire storage devices, see Symantec's article (Document ID 2003081215321125):  Symantec Ghost 8.2 compatibility with CD/DVD-R/RW drives.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #27 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 12:50pm

I just booted from my Ghost 10 RE CD.

I invoked Ghost 8.2 and I created an image of my
NTFS c: active OS partition
onto my external USB2 NTFS hard drive.

Ghost 8.2 was able to navigate to a folder of my choice on my NTFS USB2 hard drive to choose an target folder for the image.  I created a backup image.  I just now looked at it (after rebooting back to XP) and see that it contains a Ghost82.gho file plus Ghost001.ghs Ghost002.ghs, Ghost003.ghs, and Ghost004.ghs files (each about 2 gb in size except the last one)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #28 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:00pm

Followup:

I just double clicked on the .GHO file and XP invoked the old Ghost Explorer program.  After loading the backup image I noticed that it contained disk 1 (BOTH partitions) not just my c: boot os partition.  Guess I did a full disk image backup, instead of a partition image backup.

Anyway, I selected a folder from the backup (which I had renamed on my original hard drive) and successfully restored it!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #29 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:07pm

Ghost4me.John

Quote:
I invoked Ghost 8.2 and I created an image of my NTFS c: active OS partition onto my external USB2 NTFS hard drive.

I agree--this makes sense.

Are we misunderstanding each other?  What I meant above in reply #16, is that you can not boot to your *NTFS c: active OS partition*, launch from there the *Ghost 8.2* that you have successfully used from the WinPE, and now create a Ghost image of the OS partition that you are running the *Ghost 8.2* from--it can only be done from the WinPE.

But, you can create Ghost images of all other partitions on your system while booted to your WinXP partition and using the Ghost 8.2 under Windows.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print