Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore (Read 224107 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore
Reply #30 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:14pm

NightOwl, my fault.  You're right, we were saying the same thing.  

I thought from reply #16 you were saying that Ghost 8.2 (when started from WinPE) could not image c: drive.  Actually the %systembootdrive when running under WinPE is x: .  So you cannot image x: but you can image anything else.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #31 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:17pm

So (please don't take this the wrong way anyone),

What does Ghost 2003 give you that WinPE/Ghost 8.2 doesn't?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #32 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:21pm

Ghost4me.John

Quote:
What does Ghost 2003 give you that WinPE/Ghost 8.2 doesn't?

Well, there are two versions of Ghost 8.2--DOS only *ghost.exe* and Windows only *ghost32.exe*.

It's that second version you are getting when you launch from the Recovery CD.

Ghost 2003 only comes in the DOS version--*ghost.exe* (yup--the same .exe name!)--you get a Windows interface to launch Ghost 2003 from, if you install it, but it still has to close down Windows, re-boot to DOS, create the image, and then re-boot to Windows.

Ghost32.exe is far more *powerful* than Ghost 2003--Ghost 8.2 is the previous *Corporate* version of Ghost--and if you can run it from WinPE--you now have Ghost 2003 on *steroids*  Wink !

Ghost 2003 will not run in the WinPE environment.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #33 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:58pm

Assuming one wanted to backup/copy/image from a non-hot environment, then it seems to me that using the WinPE/Ghost 8.2 CD (from Ghost 10) gives another option.  I know there has been a lot of discussion as to whether or not hot-imaging is as reliable as standalone-imaging, via DOS or WinPE or BartPE.

Plus the WinPE environment is probably more up to date supporting more current motherboards, USB devices, and SATA drives, etc.  Of course if you've already purchased Ghost 2003, then Ghost 10 is an additional cost to consider.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #34 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 3:36pm

NightOwl, the question that Ghost4me asks in Reply #31 is essentially the same question that I posed in Reply #22:

Quote:
Theoretically, I don’t see any disadvantage to substituting the use of corporate Ghost 8.2 in the Ghost 10 recovery environment for Ghost 2003 under DOS – and, there is the ancillary benefit of supporting a wide range of storage devices.  Correct? 

Is there any reason not to recommend such an approach to those who visit this forum in the future?

Question #1:  For those users who have already invested in a Ghost 10 license but prefer the 'Ghost 2003' approach, why would anyone continue to use Ghost 2003 in DOS when Ghost 8.2 is available in either Windows XP (for imaging non-active partitions) or in the WinPE/Ghost 10 recovery environment (for imaging all partitions)?

Question #2:  Since a user needs to reboot into another operating environment anyway to use Ghost 2003, why not boot into the WinPE environment of Ghost 10 rather than DOS?  Doing so seems to deliver access to the corporate Ghost 8.2 utility which has all the functionality of Ghost 2003 under DOS supplemented with the capability of accessing a broad range of external storage devices that can otherwise be problematical to use in DOS.  For example, using Ghost 8.2, one could circumvent the need for the Panasonic Universal USB driver (etc.) - correct?

What do you think?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 7:13pm

I've found an interesting way to image WinXP without using the Ghost 10 RE. It's faster as you don't have to wait for the RE to load.

From  i386\Shell\Ghost I extracted restoreghost.exe and renamed it ghost32.exe but the rename probably wasn't necessary. I have two WinXP partitions and I put ghost32.exe in a data partition seen by both OS. I ran ghost32.exe and imaged (and verified the image) my other WinXP partition which is a hidden partition . To image my main WinXP I just need to boot to the other WinXP and run ghost32.exe.

Just another bit of trivia to add to our list.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #36 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 1:37am

Pleonasm

Quote:
Question #1: ... why would anyone continue to use Ghost 2003 in DOS when Ghost 8.2 is available in either Windows XP (for imaging non-active partitions) or in the WinPE/Ghost 10 recovery environment (for imaging all partitions)?

Well, firstly--nobody knew about this until one day ago!!!--Ghost 8.2 (the Windows 32 bit version that works under Windows or WinPE rather than DOS--which Ghost 2003 does not) should satisfy anyone who prefers the DOS Ghost 2003 concept of imaging the OS partition when the OS is not *hot* and active when booted to WinPE.

Quote:
Question #2:  ... why not boot into the WinPE environment of Ghost 10 rather than DOS?  ...  For example, using Ghost 8.2, one could circumvent the need for the Panasonic Universal USB driver (etc.) - correct?

Correct!  Again answer to question #1 applies to question #2!

Quote:
What do you think?

I'm in the process of ordering Ghost 10.x  Wink !!!!!

Do you have the stand alone Ghost 10.x--or is your Ghost 10 from the Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier suite?  

(Edited 3/7/2006 at 7:50 am:  )

Anyone--

Does the Premier suite have the *Recovery Disk* with the Ghost 8.2 program on it?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #37 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 4:38am

The two files mentioned in Reply #12 can be added to the Ghost 9 CD (using UltraISO) to allow Ghost 8.2 image creation. SATA and NIC drivers can be added to the Ghost 9 CD as well.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #38 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 8:39am

Brian

Quote:
The two files mentioned in Reply #12 can be added to the Ghost 9 CD (using UltraISO) to allow Ghost 8.2 image creation.

I was wondering if that might not be the case--I've recently learned how to add RAID drivers to the WinPE that is part of the WinXP installation CD--I've not yet tried an actual installation from the re-compiled CD--but I have booted to its Recovery Console successfully--and my RAID system was recognized without using the F6 to add HDD drivers not present on the original installation CD.

I used an outline of how to slipstream, for instance SP2 to a SP1 installation CD, and then re-burn the files back to a CD.  Using UltraISO to extract the boot image (I presume this is WinPE!) from the original installation CD, and then using it as the boot image to burn the changed files from the slipstreaming onto a new CD.

I presume it's a similar process--you know, Rad is willing to host *guides* created by others--might want to consider such a thing.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #39 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 11:11am

For those interested in learning more about Ghost 8.2, see the available Symantec documentation at http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/enterprise/products/symghost/symghost_8/manuals....

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #40 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 4:24pm

Quote:
The two files mentioned in Reply #12 can be added to the Ghost 9 CD (using UltraISO) to allow Ghost 8.2 image creation.

Why would anyone need to do this? One reason could be if your Ghost 10 RE has a problem seeing your drives. Ghost 9 RE is more forgiving.

From the Ghost 10 CD navigate to i386\Shell\Ghost. Copy restoreghost.exe and ghostexp.exe to a folder on your HD.

Start UltraISO and place the Ghost 9 CD in the CD drive. Click Tools, Make CD/DVD Image. “Make” a Standard ISO to a folder on your HD. Remove the CD and double click the .ISO file you have just created. In the left upper pane click the I386\START\ADVANCED\EN\ folder. In the right upper pane you will see 3 files. Drag restoreghost.exe and ghostexp.exe from your HD folder to the right upper pane and overwrite the two files present. Click File, Save. Put a blank CD in the CD drive. Click Tools, Burn CD/DVD image, Burn.

Test your new CD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #41 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 11:09pm

Quote:
Does the Premier suite have the *Recovery Disk* with the Ghost 8.2 program on it?

My mate says, "Yes". I'd confirm this however.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #42 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 6:58am

NightOwl, to answer your question in Reply #36 (and to confirm Brian's response in Reply #41), yes:  the retail boxed version of Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier includes the Symantec Recovery Disk (CD) which has the full Ghost 8.2 application.  I would assume that the downloaded version of NSW 2006 Premier is the same, but I cannot verify that assertion.

I have successfully used Ghost 8.2 in the WinPE/Ghost 10 recovery environment to generate and verify Partition-to-Image backups of an internal hard disk drive, created onto an external NTFS-formatted hard disk drive connected via FireWire.  Ghost 8.2 had no difficulty recognizing or using the NTFS/FireWire external drive.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #43 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 9:29am

NightOwl, have you purchased a copy of Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier?  If so, what are your impressions of Ghost 10 and Ghost 8.2?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #44 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 3:55pm

Pleonasm

Quote:
have you purchased a copy of Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier?

Yes I have--it's in the *mail*, and I'm waiting for its delivery.

I'm not ignoring you--but it will take a bit of time before I have played with it--so, be patient--I'll report back as I get my *feet wet*  Wink !

My intention is to try out the Ghost 8.2 first--install Ghost 10 later.  (I'm specifically going to be trying to see if I can *break* Ghost 10's ability to track the USB HDD's being plugged and unplugged with other USB memory devices-I'm curious about that one!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print