Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore (Read 224118 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore
Reply #45 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 4:51pm

NightOwl, I am now interjecting the use of Ghost 8.2 into my backup strategy.  My intention is use Ghost 8.2 from the WinPE/Ghost 10 recovery environment to create Partition-to-Image backups onto an external NTFS/FireWire hard disk drive on a monthly basis (while continuing to use Ghost 10 as the primary tool on a weekly basis).

Since redundancy is the core attribute of a solid backup strategy, using Ghost 8.2 together with Ghost 10 will provide redundancy across applications – something that I had been lacking.

Ghost 8.2 works well.  In comparison to Ghost 10, the major shortcomings – from my perspective – are that you need to exit WinXP and boot into WinPE (a slow process), and that you can’t schedule unattended backup and verify operations.  Both of these negatively impact productivity and increase the “hassle” factor, but every tool or approach has both advantages and disadvantages.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

scott3415
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #46 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 4:07pm

I know this has been answered (so I apologize), but here it goes:

Does Ghost 10 include the ghost32.exe (and library files) needed for Ghost in BartPE? If not, how can I obtain a copy that will work with BartPE?

I have the 2003 version (doesn't include Ghost32.exe) and would like to use BartPE to Ghost via Network connection.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #47 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 12:25pm

scott3415

Quote:
Does Ghost 10 include the ghost32.exe (and library files) needed for Ghost in BartPE?

From Brian's reply #35 in this thread:

Quote:
From  i386\Shell\Ghost I extracted restoreghost.exe and renamed it ghost32.exe but the rename probably wasn't necessary.

The *restoreghost.exe* is *ghost32.exe* on Ghost 10's Recovery Disk.

But I'm not sure what *library files* are asked for by BartPE--I have not played yet with BartPE--maybe someone who has (like Brian) can help with that answer.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #48 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 12:50pm

You can confirm that RESTOREGHOST.EXE is in fact GHOST32.EXE by right-clicking the file in Windows Explorer, selecting Properties, and examining the items (e.g., File Version, Internal Name) listed in the Version tab.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #49 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 1:14pm

From the Properties of restoreghost.exe

Company:                Symantec Corporation
File Version:            8.2.0.1115
Internal Name:        Ghost32
Language:               English (United States)
Original File name:  Ghost32.exe
Product Name:        Symantec Ghost
Product Version:      8.2.0.1115

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #50 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 11:54pm

Ghost 8 plugin (same procedure for Ghost 8.2)

Quote:
Ghost v8.0
Ghost32 (version 8.0!) is certified to run on Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE).
But it also works on BartPE.
Ghost32 is not free, buy it from Symantec.
To activate support for CD or DVD write, you also need to enabled the "ASPI" plugin.

Before you can use the plugin you must copy some files to the plugin directory.

Install and activate ghost as described in the ghost installation manual.
Then copy the following files from programs files\symantec\ghost into the plugin\ghost8\files directory:
ghost32.exe, ghostexp.exe, ghostsrv.exe, ghostcdr.dll

See

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11415...

So you can get by with only 2 of the 4 files.

IP Logged

scott3415
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #51 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 10:20am

Brian,

Has anyone used a Corporate Version of Ghost (Solution Suite, etc) with BartPE or Reatogo? I purchased the 9.0 Ghost product, and have it working successfully. However, i'm concerned about the licensing aspect. I'm deploying the image to new hardware (w/o Ghost client) and never using Ghost again (unless there is a hw issue). According to Symantec, I will need a Ghost 9.0 license for every machine that I deploy an image to. At $60.00 a shot, wouldn't it be more economical to use the Ghost Solution Suite executable, which MSRP's at $28.00 per license. What are peoples thoughts on licensing for the corporate environment?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #52 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 10:59am

scott3415

Quote:
wouldn't it be more economical to use the Ghost Solution Suite executable, which MSRP's at $28.00 per license

I think the minimum # of licenses is 10, and as the # goes up, there are additional price breaks for higher quantities.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

scott3415
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #53 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 11:03am

Nightowl,

You're exactly correct, and the $28.00 was ballpark for the 10-100 licenses. Which only validates my point, Ghost Solution Suite is more economical. However, I cannot see any way to use this product in a PE environment. The only plugins (I see) are 8.0 and 9.0, which I've been told are thier Consumer Desktop products. Ghost Solutions Suite (let's call it "GSS" for simplicity) is more an enterprise product. I know the Ghost32.exe is NOT included with GSS. Anyone had experience using the GSS in a PE environment?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #54 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 12:00pm

Scott3415, what are you seeking to accomplish through the use of BartPE in conjunction with Ghost?  If the objective is to perform image backups over a network, you may wish to explore the LiveState Recovery suite of products by Symantec, which are essentially the ‘corporate’ version of Ghost 10.

Please post the results of your research.

IP Logged

scott3415
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #55 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 12:10pm

Thanks for the pointer.

Basically, I'm trying to deploy the image once the new hardware arrives AT THE LOWEST LICENSE COST.

Initially, the idea of performing this over the network was attractive. But I think deploying an image contained on an external HD would be more efficient.

Could they have any more products? (sarcasm) There are 6 levels of LiveState Recovery & 101 ways to use the Ghost products. I will take a look at the LiveState option.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #56 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 12:47pm

Scott3415, have you considered any of the free image backup products, such as DriveImage XML?

P.S.:  I have no experience with this tool, and so can't recommend it.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #57 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:56pm

NightOwl wrote on Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:29pm:
"... the Ghost 8.2 version on on the Recovery CD is the 32-bit version (ghost32.exe), and is not the DOS version (ghost.exe).  So it must run under Windows or WinPE, and can not run under DOS..."

CLICK HERE to discover how "yours truly" is considering a rather inexpensive way to procure a Symantec Norton Ghost 10.0 license in order to use Ghost 8.2 in easing his previously unyielding reliance on Ghost 2003.

CLICK HERE to discover a rather inexpensive way to procure the Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2006 for Windows suite (I am reasonably confident this is not the 'NSW 2006 Basic Edition' - but I am not altogether certain).

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #58 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:14pm

El_Pescador

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the reference for Norton SystemWorks 2006 is the *basic* version--it has to say *Premier* in order to have Ghost included--which it does not--and the product description also does not mention Ghost!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #59 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 9:26am

NightOwl wrote on Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:14pm:
"... I'm pretty sure that the reference for Norton SystemWorks 2006 is the *basic* version--it has to say *Premier* in order to have Ghost included--which it does not--and the product description also does not mention Ghost!..."

By omitting the word 'Premier', I was stating that Ghost was not included in the NSW 2006 for Windows suite; instead, I was trying to distinguish it from the 'Basic Edition' (see illustration below).  Regrettably, Outpost.com did not display a Symantec Product Number for the item in question, but my suspicion remains that it is not Norton SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition by Symantec - 337018.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print