Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore (Read 224116 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore
Reply #60 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 9:49am

El_Pescador

So, there are three versions of Norton SystemWorks 2006!!!  Well, that sure makes it easier to keep things straight  Wink !

So, what's the difference between the *basic* and the (?)*regular*--as opposed to the *premier*--what is not included in the *basic* version.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #61 - Mar 20th, 2006 at 11:32am

NightOwl wrote on Mar 20th, 2006 at 9:49am:
"... what's the difference between the *basic* and the (?)*regular*--as opposed to the *premier*--what is not included in the *basic* version..."

'Basic Edition' seems to lack Norton Antivirus 2006 for one thing; since many users already employ NAV as a "stand-alone" - not to mention those users of Norton Internet Security 2006 - this may be a good idea for Symantec (check out URL below).

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/system_performance/nswbasic2006...

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #62 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 12:14pm

El_Pescador wrote on Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:56pm:
"... "yours truly" is considering a rather inexpensive way to procure a Symantec Norton Ghost 10.0 license in order to use Ghost 8.2 in easing his previously unyielding reliance on Ghost 2003..."

Well, it seems there are all kinds of developments hereabouts: (1) received the Norton Ghost 10.0 CD and I can readily see
all
my drives with no problem when booting from it - moreover, no problem in performing Ghost 8.2 Integrity Checks anywhere in My Computer; (2) incredibly enough, made a viable ReatogoPE CD on my first attempt (figured on making a bushel basket full of "coasters" before I could pull it off); after booting from the ReatogoPE CD in Drive D: (CD-ROM), Ghost 8.2 was successfully invoked by opening RESTOREGHOST.EXE which was previously copied from the Ghost 10.0 CD to a scratch CD-R now mounted in Drive E: (DVD burner); (3) regrettably, booting with the ReatogoPE CD in Drive D: I am unable to view
Virtual Drives C:, F: and G: which reside on my Maxtor 120GB SATA MASTER HDD (previously seen by Ghost 2003 as Drive 2)
albeit Ghost 8.2 easily performs Integrity Checks on those drives that are visible - sounds like I need to figure out how to attach SATA HDD drivers to the ReatogoPE CD; and (4)
whereas I have a new licensed copy of Ghost 10.0 (several, in fact)
, how do I go about integrating RESTOREGHOST.EXE (aka GHOST32.EXE) and GHOSTEXP.EXE into a ReatogoPE CD.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #63 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 2:29pm

El_Pescador wrote on Mar 24th, 2006 at 12:14pm:
Well, it seems there are all kinds of developments hereabouts: (1) received the Norton Ghost 10.0 CD

EP, welcome to the dark side. Well sort of.

Quote:
sounds like I need to figure out how to attach SATA HDD drivers to the ReatogoPE CD

To do this you can either run autoDriver from the reatogo_autoDriver folder (in plugin folder) or copy your SATA floppy to a folder on your HD and put this folder in the SCSIAdapter folder (reatogo-25-6a\drivers\SCSIAdapter)

Quote:
how do I go about integrating RESTOREGHOST.EXE (aka GHOST32.EXE) and GHOSTEXP.EXE into a ReatogoPE CD. 

Download the ordinary BartPE prog to get the Ghost 8.* plugin.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Put this plugin in the Reatogo plugin folder and read the enclosed ghost.htm. Then modify by

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11415...

I'm looking forward to your lively comments.

PS  For general information. You only need to download Reatogo once. Further changes are made from the Reatogo folders on your HD.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #64 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 8:25pm

Brian wrote on Mar 24th, 2006 at 2:29pm:
"... EP, welcome to the dark side. Well sort of..."

All of this is incredibly fascinating to me, and I would love to be able to jump right into the fray.

Regrettably, for the next few days I have rented - at considerable expense - some very exotic power tools to either grind or scarify the concrete floor of our Hurricane Katrina inundated 'slab-on-grade' residence to remove those remnants of hardwood parquet and adhesive that did not yield to the power chipper-hammer previously employed.  Will check back in from time to time.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #65 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 8:46pm

El_Pescador wrote on Mar 24th, 2006 at 12:14pm:
"... regrettably, booting with the ReatogoPE CD in Drive D: I am unable to view
Virtual Drives C:, F: and G: which reside on my Maxtor 120GB SATA MASTER HDD (previously seen by Ghost 2003 as Drive 2)
albeit Ghost 8.2 easily performs Integrity Checks on those drives that are visible - sounds like I need to figure out how to attach SATA HDD drivers to the ReatogoPE CD..."
Brian wrote on Mar 24th, 2006 at 2:29pm:
"... To do this you can run AutoDriver from the reatogo_autoDriver folder (in plugin folder)..."

Back home once more, and finally had a little free time to use AutoDriver for revealing the partitions on my SATA MASTER HDD when booting up with a ReatogoPE CD.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #66 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 12:01pm

I have updated the guide to reference this thread, indicating that both Ghost 10 & Norton Save & Restore include a copy of Ghost v8.2 which can be used to both create & restore images.

My text:

Update: 21.Nov.2006 - Good news! It appears Norton Save & Restore *does* come with Ghost v8.2, which is the corporate version of the original Ghost software, which will allow you to both create and restore images using this software. And this version is not crippled as is the version that comes with Ghost 9. See this thread for details:

Using Ghost 10 CD [including N S&R] to Create and Restore Ghost images

Is this info accurate?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #67 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 12:06pm

Rad

Quote:
which
is the corporate version of the original Ghost software
, which will allow you to both create and restore images using this software

It is as stated above, but it is the *32-bit* version of Ghost 8.xx that can only be run under a Windows OS--can not run from DOS!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #68 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 2:39pm

Thanks.

What liabilities does that introduce? [edit'ed post to delete stupid things i wrote]

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #69 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 2:54pm

Rad

Quote:
since it is hot-imaging, is there any reason to use it over normal ghost 10?

*Ghost32.exe* (aka *RESTOREGHOST.EXE* on the Recovery Disk) does not allow for *hot-imaging*!

If you are running it under your regular Windows OS, you are not able to create an image that includes your active OS partition (that's what Ghost 9 and 10 + Norton Save & Restore can do!)--and you can not restore your OS partition from within Windows (which is also true of Ghost 9 and 10--you have to boot the Recovery Disk to the Recovery Environment!).  You can image all other partitions and other HDD's--but not the active OS partition.

But, if you are running it from the Ghost Recovery Disk, then it acts like DOS Ghost because the OS is not active--you have booted from the CD to the WinPE based Recovery Environment--and now you can image the whole HDD including the OS partition--
the advantage of this is *ghost32.exe* takes advantage of all the *Windows* based drivers for USB, Firewire, and networking that's built into the WinPE Recovery Environment--so you do not have to struggle trying to make some of the *cranky* DOS drivers work like can happen when using Ghost 2003 in DOS!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #70 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 3:08pm

Suh_weet!

Thanks for the clarification.

Seems better than regular Ghost (v2003) .. in that respect.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #71 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 3:27pm

Rad

The biggest (only?) down side--it takes a looooooong time for the Recovery Disk to load!

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #72 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 3:31pm

How long we talking? 2 minutes? 3?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #73 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 3:57pm

Rad

Actually--maybe 4 or 5!  I often go get a cup of coffee!  Never actually timed it though!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #74 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 4:58pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 3:27pm:
"... The biggest (only?) down side--it takes a looooooong time for the Recovery Disk to load!..."

I have never created a pure BartPE CD, so I cannot comment.  However, I have created several Reatogo-X-PE CDs representing the two latest generations and it takes a looooooong time for them to load, too!

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print