Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore (Read 224132 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Using Ghost 10 CD to Create and Restore
Reply #75 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:49pm

well, seeing that it can save a week's-work worth of headaches, re-installing everything, i'd say it's worth it.

IP Logged

Tommytiko
N00b

Reply #76 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 4:11pm

Brian wrote on Mar 5th, 2006 at 5:50pm:
Pleo,
John has answered the question re external HD's. Writing to DVD's is crippled but I'm sure restoring from DVD's would be OK.

My copy of save & restore advises that cd/dve writing is unavailable and refers me to the symantec ghost reference guide to enable it.  Is that a blind alley to a crippled function, or is there some way of enabling it?  If not, can I write the backup in 4.5GB chunks to a hard drive and copy the chunks to dvd's, and then restore from those dvd's to follow the above suggestion?

Tommytiko

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #77 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 12:50pm

Tommytiko wrote on Jan 14th, 2007 at 4:11pm:
"... My copy of save & restore advises that cd/dve writing is unavailable and refers me to the symantec ghost reference guide to enable it.  Is that a blind alley to a crippled function, or is there some way of enabling it?..."

The answer is twofold when taking either the BartPE or Reatogo-X-PE route: (1) both
ghostcdr.dll
and
ghostsrv.exe
can readily be incorporated in a practical fashion into either CD; but (2) regrettably, I was never able to realize a manner in which to legitimately obtain
ghostcdr.dll
and
ghostsrv.exe
through Symantec channels.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #78 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 1:07pm

Tommytiko, yes – using Ghost in Norton Save & Restore, you can specify a recovery point split size below the storage capacity of a DVD disc, and then after the backup is complete, burn the recovery point segments onto DVD discs.  These discs may be used for a restore operation.

I recommend that you run a “verify” operation from the recovery environment on the DVD discs you create in this way, to confirm that all works as expected.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Tommytiko
N00b

Reply #79 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:00pm

Thanks for the replies.

Does anybody have a manual for ghost 8.2?  For example, what is the significance of the choice between .gho files and raw and image files when making a backup from dos?  And what are the segments in spanned images and how can their size be controlled?

Tommytiko

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #80 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:24pm

For a list of Ghost manuals, enter "Manual" and check the "Include PDFs" box using this search page:
     http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/knowledge_base.jsp?pid=52023

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

GhostUserD
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 9:14am

Hello,

I had just read this thread last week and quickly ordered a copy of Norton Ghost 10.0. It arrived today, but it seems to be different from that discussed here; i.e. no "Ghost 8.2".

I live in Germany and the boxed copy that I received is the German version.

My question is two-fold:

1) Is there a functionality difference between 8.0 and 8.2?
2) Is the Germany version of Ghost 10 somehow crippled in comparison to the American version (which is the version I assume many of you are using)?

On the recovery CD under [drive letter]:\I386\SHELL\GHOST there is a file "RESTOREGHOST.EXE", which, when executed, indicates that it is version 8.0 of ghost32.exe (under Windows, if one looks at the file properties, the version is shown as 8.0.0.984). It's the name that concerns me, since it matches what others here have said is the name of the 32-bit version that ships with Ghost 9...

However, It did allow me to create an image using the Recovery disk. So maybe all is well and my question is academic. I haven't yet tried to restore the image, which I'll do shortly.

Thanks for the discussion! Having a 32-bit Ghost which will run under a PE environment supporting more devices is really really nice.

Thanks

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #82 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 12:17pm

Quote:
"... It did allow me to create an image using the Recovery disk.  So maybe all is well and my question is academic..."

The 'RESTOREGHOST.EXE' file in Norton Ghost 9 can only restore legacy images, but not create
them.  However, the version of said file (aka GHOST32.EXE) included with the Norton Ghost 10 available in the US can both create and restore.  So, it sounds as if all is well for you (although you should be advised that optical drives are not supported in the Ver 8.2 PE mode in any case).

EP
Cry

IP Logged

GhostUserD
Ex Member

Reply #83 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 2:58pm

Thanks for the reply El_Pescador.

I have run my "RESTOREGHOST.EXE" through its paces and it seems identical to what is called "ghost32.exe" in the US: It can create and restore images, there is no optical drive support.

So, what I can contribute to this thread is:
The German market Ghost 10 ships with a ghost32.exe ver. 8.0.0.984 renamed as RESTOREGHOST.EXE which is functionally equivalent (I think) to the American market ghost32.exe ver. 8.2 that ships with Ghost 10

The German RESTOREGHOST.EXE from Ghost 10 works great with BartPE!

I won't be retiring my trusty Ghost 2003 boot disks just yet, but this is a great find.

Thanks to Grizzly for making the original discovery.

Cheers,
GhostUserD

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #84 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 3:49pm

Quote:
"... The German RESTOREGHOST.EXE from Ghost 10 works great with BartPE!..."

The thread below reveals my thoughts on the BartPE/Reatogo-X-PE concept:

While working with a deteriorating Compaq PC, I found that a Reatogo-X-PE CD with Ver 8.2 secured a functional "disk-to-image" Backup after a Norton Ghost 2003 Backup attempt was riddled with errror messages leaving me to regard Ver 8.2 as the most robust product in the Ghost lineage whether "cold-imaging" or "hot-imaging".

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #85 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 5:22pm

thanks for the input
GhostUserD
. our german friends will be glad to hear the news.

IP Logged

BodyAndSpirit
Dude

The Texas of Canada

Reply #86 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 11:51pm

Hey guys

Very good thread!  Smiley

This thread "seems" to say that while one can create a cold-image (via booting from Ghost 10 into recovery mode), it must be saved to a hard drive. Saving it directly to DVD is not an option.

Is there any work-a-round the notice:

“Ghost 8.2 Corporate Edition”
“CD/DVD functionality is currently unavailable. See the Ghost Reference Guide to enable it.”

B.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #87 - Dec 24th, 2007 at 9:12am

BodyAndSpirit wrote on Dec 23rd, 2007 at 11:51pm:
"... Is there any work-a-round the notice:

'Ghost 8.2 Corporate Edition'
'CD/DVD functionality is currently unavailable. See the Ghost Reference Guide to enable it.'..."

Not inside the the retail consumer realm of Norton Ghost, but the corporate-oriented Symantec Ghost Solution Suite series does so quite handily if you can sweet-talk a vendor into selling you a minimum of five 'seats'.

El Pescador

IP Logged

BodyAndSpirit
Dude

The Texas of Canada

Reply #88 - Dec 25th, 2007 at 3:49pm

Thanks El Pescador

I was afraid that would be the answer. Cry

B.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6