Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bootable cd without floppy (Read 33754 times)
Marble
Ex Member

Bootable cd without floppy
Mar 8th, 2006 at 4:45pm

I'm using Norton  Ghost 2003 and trying ti do the Nightowl bootable CD thing  but It  stops on the   A prompt for DR Dos.I  went to F:\Norton Ghost & ckicked on Ghost exe & got  this "double  fault at EIP or (ELP)=1d5; Flags=3a86.There was several more lines but did't get them (I can go back & copy them & repost but it will be tomorrow if they matter)so I guess
the problem is with the Ghost.exe file.I reinstalled Ghost 3 times but it was the same each time.Is it possible to get a Ghost.exe somewhere & install to see if there is a difference ? I am open to any suggetions & will appreciate any info.What is worse than not having Ghost is not being able to make it work.
Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Bootable cd without floppy
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 6:01pm

Marble

Post a copy of your *config.sys* file content, + copy of your *autoexec.bat* content--and a list of files you are placing in the boot sector.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

J C Ames

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 6:47am

Here 'ya go

config.sys
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
lastdrive=z

autoexec.bat
path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe  /d:nightowel  /l:x  /m:16 v
ghost.exe

Thanks for the prompt reply.Hope this is what you need

IP Logged

j c ames

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 7:01am

Sorry for all the screwups.Not a good morning
boot sector
bootcdp1.ima

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 8:46am

j c ames

Quote:
bootcdp1.ima

What files have you placed in that bootsector image *bootcdp1.ima* above?

Quote:
went to F:\Norton Ghost &
ckicked on Ghost exe
& got  this "double  fault at EIP or (ELP)=1d5; Flags=3a86.

Not sure I understand this reference in your first post--if following the Guide steps, *ghost.exe* should be present on the virtual A:\ drive that a bootable CD creates from the CD's boot sector list of files.  But you are switching to F:\ ?

And, once booted to DOS, the DOS interface is what's know as a *command line* OS--you can not *click on* a file and have it execute like in Windows--you have to change to a given directory (or have it listed in the *path* statement), and then *type* the name of the executable file at the DOS prompt to lauch it--i.e. *ghost.exe*.

At the A:\ prompt, after booting, type *dir*--is your *ghost.exe* listed?

Quote:
autoexec.bat
mouse.com
mscdex.exe  
/d:nightowel
 /l:x  /m:16
v

ghost.exe

Typo errors in posting?--or errors in the *autoexec.bat* file?  Your optical drive will not be correctly assigned a drive letter with this--should be:

[autoexec.bat]

mouse.com
mscdex.exe  
/d:nightowl
 /l:x  /m:16
/v

ghost.exe

But the above should not have any bearing on *ghost.exe* not launching.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

J C Ames

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 9:51am

The owel & v are typo's (I'll try to do better)
Files are
autoexe.bat
config.sys
ghost.exe
nouse.com
msdos.sys
command.com
io.sys
mscdex.exe
oakcdrom.sys
The F: was when the bootup stopped on the DrDos A: prompt
I changed directories to F:then typed in  ghost.exe
& got that message.
When I read your answer to this post (so I can try to answer any questions you may have) I will reboot & send you an
A: prompt directory list
Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 2:03pm

J C Ames

Well--I don't see anything wrong with the list of files.

What do you get with the directory command at the A:\ prompt?

IP Logged

J C Ames

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 3:39pm

UPDATE
I took a deep breath walked around the block 6 times took a short nap deleted all the files I had created & started all over (your program worked flawless this time)
Some joy but not completely.Everything goes right till it boots to ghost then the blue screen with the hourglass comes  up but nothing happens..The hour glass is there but it doesn't turn so what have I done wrong this time ?  One time at the blue screen I let it run for 15 minutes & nothing happened .I have reinstalled ghost but no joy.
I really appreciate all the help you have given.Any other suggestions ?
Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 11:45pm

J C Ames

Quote:
Everything goes right till it boots to ghost then the blue screen with the hourglass comes  up but nothing happens

Do you have a system with SATA HDD's?

Have you updated Ghost 2003 using Live Update after the initial install?

IP Logged

J C Ames

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 8:41am

I have sata HDD.
Will update & keep you informed

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 9:11am

J C Ames

Quote:
I have sata HDD.

Ah!...well you may be having a hardware/software incompatibility with running Ghost in DOS.

Here's a reference that talks about a couple ways others have dealt with the issue:

Norton Ghost Sata problems

(NightOwl edit:  9-7-2006, apparently the above link has gone *bad*--too bad--it had some good troubleshooting info!)

SATA HDD's and Ghost!

Looks like the most common *fixes* are:

1.  In some BIOS's, changing the setting from *normal* or *native* to *combination*--

Quote:
Working on a Dell SX 280 I was able to change the BIOS settings for the SATA controller to Combination. The default is *normal*. This worked. I am ussing Ghost 7.5 enterprise.

Dannypcs

2.  Starting Ghost with the following command line:

*ghost.exe -fni*

According to the thread, this allows access to both IDE and SATA HDD's.

3.  Or, staring Ghost with the following command line:

*ghost.exe -noide

This allowed for SATA HDD access, but now could not access other IDE HDD's if they too where on the system (this might also prevent access to optical drives that are hooked up to IDE controllers as well--don't know this for sure though).

4.  Live Updating Ghost 2003 to the most current version seemed to help some.  To check you version of DOS Ghost 2003, open a *command window* in the sub-directory where your *ghost.exe* program is located, and type *ghost.exe -ver*.  Here's what I get:

Quote:
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost>ghost.exe -ver
Norton Ghost 2003 (build=793, cdrlib=3.1.25)
Copyright (C) 1998-2003 Symantec Corp. All rights reserved.

There are a number of other suggestions scattered throughout the thread.

Let us know if/what works for you!

IP Logged

J C Ames

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:32pm

Update
I went to the automatic update & it downloaded & installed the latest but it didn't  help.I'm going to try all the other suggestions
when I have time.I'v got to slack off for a while (must earn a living) but  I'm not quitting 'till it's working or I die.Iwill keep you posted as to what is taking place but I'm going to start another thread.I will call it"update on Ghost " I really appreciate you sticking with me on this so maybe it will be solved down the line.If you come up with any more suggestions just post it to a new thread (update on ghost  & I will know it is from you
Thanks again

IP Logged

serpico
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:11pm

NightOwl wrote on Mar 10th, 2006 at 9:11am:
Looks like the most common *fixes* are:

1.  In some BIOS's, changing the setting from *normal* or *native* to *combination*--

2.  Starting Ghost with the following command line:

*ghost.exe -fni*

According to the thread, this allows access to both IDE and SATA HDD's.

3.  Or, staring Ghost with the following command line:

*ghost.exe -noide

This allowed for SATA HDD access, but now could not access other IDE HDD's if they too where on the system (this might also prevent access to optical drives that are hooked up to IDE controllers as well--don't know this for sure though).

4.  Live Updating Ghost 2003 to the most current version seemed to help some.  To check you version of DOS Ghost 2003, open a *command window* in the sub-directory where your *ghost.exe* program is located, and type *ghost.exe -ver*.  Here's what I get:

There are a number of other suggestions scattered throughout the thread.

Let us know if/what works for you!

I have Ghost v10.  When I run the driver validation tool from the cd, it tells me the following:

The following devices do not have drivers in the Symantec Recovery Disk.
Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Like a lot of people with laptops, I do not have a floppy drive, so I cannot load the SATA drivers by hitting F6 when the Ghost cd boots.

OK, so here are my questions:
1. Can I create a bootable cd that contains Ghost 10 and the SATA drivers?  Is this difficult to do?  I generally know the basics of computers, but I'm no IT wizard.

2. When I switch the SATA setting in the BIOS from "AHCI" to "Compatability" mode, Ghost can see the hard disk.  I was able to do a mini-test by restoring a small folder to the hard disk from a partition backup I had stored on a USB drive.
Is there any drawback to using Ghost while the BIOS setting is "Compatibility"?  If my boot partition became FUBAR'ed, and I restored a backup to the boot partition while the disk is in "Compatibility" mode, would there be any difference relative to doing the recovery while the disk is in "AHCI" mode (other than Compatibility mode being slightly slower, presumably)?

If not, then it would seem that it's really not worth the trouble of creating a boot cd with Ghost and the SATA drivers.

3. How are people getting to the command prompt to run things like
"ghost.exe -fni"?  Ghost 10 cd boots straight into a GUI.  Is the command line part of earlier versions of Ghost?

TIA for any advice on the above!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:29pm

serpico,

It can be done and I've added NIC drivers too. I'm sure Ghost 10 can be edited the same way as Ghost 9.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11131...

When I tried anything other than AHCI/SATA in the bios, my computer wouldn't boot so I needed a CD solution.

IP Logged

serpico
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 12:05am

Brian wrote on Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:29pm:
serpico,

It can be done and I've added NIC drivers too. I'm sure Ghost 10 can be edited the same way as Ghost 9.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11131...

When I tried anything other than AHCI/SATA in the bios, my computer wouldn't boot so I needed a CD solution.

The MSFN pages are talking about integrating drivers into a Windows install cd.  How did you go about integrating drivers into another program's cd?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print