Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does Ghost clone XP GUID / Cloning problem (Read 4778 times)
Peter

Does Ghost clone XP GUID / Cloning problem
Mar 9th, 2006 at 3:49pm

Hello

I'm doing a little repartitioning on my harddrive.

It consists of an extended partition and a hmm primary partiton? (at least that's what partiton software reports)

The extended partition consists of G: and J:

XP is installed on J:

What i wanted to do is remove G: and resize the J: to give xp system partiton more free space. This did not work as expected, the dreaded thing happened, windows started up but stalled before showing icons.

OK Next step, delete xp partition, create a new ntfs partition and restore a ghost image on this of the xp install. I ASSUMED that this would work because logically when restoring the ghost image back it should have the same XP generated GUID as earlier and thus start as normal. This did of course, not happen (murphy anyone).

Now I've tried recreating the partiton setup with diffrent sizes and I hope that this will work, if not I'm kind of in a bad situation with a xp installation gone bad.

Can anyone provide tips as to what I can do to solve this?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Does Ghost clone XP GUID / Cloning problem
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 5:01pm

peter wrote on Mar 9th, 2006 at 3:49pm:
XP is installed on J:

What i wanted to do is remove G: and resize the J: to give xp system partiton more free space. This did not work as expected, the dreaded thing happened, windows started up but stalled before showing icons.

Peter,

I realize that you haven't cloned a drive but this experience with a non C: drive OS reminds me of .......

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11406...

IP Logged

Peter

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 2:48am

Thanks a million Brian. It saved my day and countless hours of work Smiley

Brian wrote on Mar 9th, 2006 at 5:01pm:
Peter,

I realize that you haven't cloned a drive but this experience with a non C: drive OS reminds me of .......

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11406...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 3:14am

Great. But please, tell us what you did?

IP Logged

Peter

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 4:57am

Brian wrote on Mar 10th, 2006 at 3:14am:
Great. But please, tell us what you did?

Certainly.

The recreation of partition setup, i.e. having the same partition structure as earlier did not seem to solve the problem either. I believe the partitioning software might have changed things in the MBR.

After this i tried the Repair XP Install option but this was a time-demanding process. So instead I started ghost once again and restored the image and from following the links on the article i downloaded SAVEPART. and ran it in DOS. At first the fix did not seem to work but it was an error from my side, after sort of .. forcing windows to know which drive windows should be booted as it all went swiftly.

Oh and one more thing, i saw some recommendations for using a win98 bootdisk and run fdisk /mbr. Correct me if i'm wrong but each disk has a separate MBR and if the entire disk consists of NTFS this would be impossible with this bootdisk.

So instead i tried fixmbr, fixboot and bootcfg from recovery console. Now, fixboot didn't do anything interesting, bootcfg recreated the boot.ini if there were changes.

But FIXMBR, it made things perhaps a little worse i think because after running this command J: which earlier was referenced as partition(1) in boot.ini was suddenly partition(3). I've tried reading in MS KB on how this numbering works but i didn't really get the hang of it.

As a final question I'd like to know if you could point me to any guides on partitioning strategy for XP. I've been into computers for a decade now and my partition setup has sort of followed me as a legacy using ghost and such. And like to know if my partitioning is sensible. I.E. having windows on a logical drive in an extended  partition, or deleting the extended and having TWO primary on this disk instead.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:26am

IP Logged

Keith Conti

problem solved for cloning to another computer
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 1:16am

I havebeen researching a way to clone and automate different bios, computers and makes to be compatable to each other.
So now after a year and ahalf for about 6 months , I made a hybrid.

Basiclly its this.  Imagine if you had to run a shop and your own and a  customer wanted to have over 18 hours worth of opensoftware from utilities , protection, graphics, and a back up for one price. 
Then you tell them 18 hours for 149.00
All they need is there os code. and type.

I finally made a hybrid clone that is compatible to 90% of all computers.  It now acts a replicator,  I choose the os of choice and with a technique.  IN one half hour 18 hours is done.
All sony viohs from 2 years back, p3's gateways, dells, amds, hps, compaq, are compatible to this hybrid.

Its fun when you can charge 1 /9th the cost soon froma  competors price and explain how a product works to the customer. and make 150 and hour unless you feel to lower it.. Smiley to monopolize.
Now thats the future of the tech industry.

Now there will be no more crooked techs out there who can over charge.  The  customer can repair it themselves and do it in 3-15 minutes after as well.
since I show them they  how.

take care

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print