HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Endless reboot cycle (Read 25633 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Endless reboot cycle
Reply #15 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:58am

Ghost4me, my PC is a Compaq 8000T, and it came with the Recovery Console pre-installed on the system partition.

If, however, you have the Windows XP installation CD, you can install the Recovery Console on your PC using the instructions referenced in Reply #13.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 12:33pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:58am:
Ghost4me, my PC is a Compaq 8000T, and it came with the Recovery Console pre-installed on the system partition.
If, however, you have the Windows XP installation CD, you can install the Recovery Console on your PC using the instructions referenced in Reply #13.

Pleonasm,

Yes,
I have
the XP CD, and know how to install and use the Recovery Console.

The point I was trying to mention is that when I get a call from a new client/customer like melvyno, I often find out that (like melvyno)
THEY
do not have the Microsoft/Vendor xp cd and
THEY
do not have the Recovery Console already installed.  Hence, the diagnosis and recovery is often more time consuming (and more costly) to the customer.

If Dell, HP, eMachines and other manufacturers would include the XP startup CD (some will let you order one at extra cost) then it would make these problems easier to solve.

As in melvyno's case, I often remove the hard drive and place it in one of my system test pc's and recover from there.  Or I use BartPE or other diagnostics.

But just try and run chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr or other diagnostic tools for a system like melvyo's without a Microsoft xp cd.  Not easy . . .

John

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 1:00pm

Ghost4me, sorry if I didn’t correctly interpret your prior posts.

I count myself among those who lack a Windows XP CD.  Some time ago, I argued vehemently with both HP/Compaq as well as Microsoft that I ought to be able to acquire the Windows XP CD, incurring only the media replacement fee since both Microsoft as well as HP/Compaq agree that I have a valid Windows XP license.  Alas, no joy.  Neither the PC manufacturer nor Microsoft took a kind ear to my plight, and each insisted that I would need to buy a copy of the operating system at retail if I wanted the CD (ouch!).  If I recall correctly, I believe that part of the story is that the Windows XP license acquired through the OEM is less expensive than that purchased at retail, but – as a consequence – is comes with a limitation:  transferring the operating system license to a different PC (which would be facilitated with the Windows XP CD) voids the original warranty in some way.

As you noted earlier, this situation now seems to be epidemic among home PC users, and the absence of a Windows XP CD can certainly be a hindrance (no Recovery Console, problems running the System File Checker, possible inability to create a BartPE CD, etc.).

One wonders whether history will repeat itself with the introduction of Windows Vista, or whether the PC manufacturers and Microsoft have learned a lesson.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print