Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Partitioning a drive from a remote terminal (Read 2550 times)
Jimmy deKoster

Partitioning a drive from a remote terminal
Apr 2nd, 2006 at 4:07am

Well I'd like to start by saying I don't know of any way it is possible and I think he is full of you know what, but one of my roomates claims that he must have some how re-partitioned my hard drive accross the local area network we have in our house.  He was trying to wipe his drive and do a fresh install, and some how my fat32 partion I was running windows XP on, turned into a fat32X partition.  Which for those of you who don't know is a partition used by later editions of 95 & 98, specifically second edition.  Now he swares he never put a bootable cd into my computer and did not pull up any partioning programs on my computer.  He only did this on his computer and that some how he believes (and wants me to believe) that while he was partitioning his drive it must have partitioned mine to over the network.  Which may I add, his computer was not even bootabe to windows and not even capable of talking out on the network at the time at which my computer was re-partitioned.  Now I'm not a computer expert, just an above average user but I am 99.9999%    sure that what he wants me to believe is a bold faced lie.  He on the other hand is a complete idiot when it comes to computers and has not been able to get his computer bootable with an OS installed for over 2 weeks now.  If anybody knows any way that what he wants me to believe could be true please tell me, because right now I am ready to kick the MF'er out of my house for loosing all my files and lieing about it straight to my face.  I would really hate to do that if I am wrong, but I can't see any way possible to partition a drive unless you are sitting local at the terminal and specifically initiate the command.  Someone please give some feedback soon so I can kick the mofo out with out a doubt in my mind.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Partitioning a drive from a remote terminal
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 4:28pm

There are ways to partition a hard drive over a network, but it doesn't just happen on its own.  As you can imagine, it takes two computers that are both capable of communicating on a network.  It also requires advance knowledge of the Windows Operating System (or at least basic knowledge of advanced functions of the OS.)  While it is possible to partition a drive accross a network, it would be very, very difficult to do by accident.

In the future, you can rule out the possibility of someone putting a CD into your computer and using it while you are away through the use of both a BIOS password on boot-up and a password protected Windows account (both on sign-in and on screen saver.)  These basic protections will ensure that your computer isn't used by someone you have not authorized.  True, all these passwords are crackable with some amount of effort, but basic protections keep honest people honest.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print