Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
GHOST32.EXE: No More Recalcitrant USB 2.0 HDDs ? (Read 52260 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: GHOST32.EXE: No More Recalcitrant USB 2.0 HDDs
Reply #30 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 12:15am

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 12:22am:
"... Essentially, I used components of Norton Ghost 8.2 derived from my Norton Ghost 10.0 CD to do so in the following manners: (1) booting from a ReatogoPE bootable CD in my CD-ROM drive, I merely opened RESTOREGHOST.EXE residing as a file on a CD in my DVD burner..."

By using the Reatogo AutoDriver routine to reconcile my SATA HDD situation, modifying the BartPE Ghost8 plugin to accept the Norton Ghost 8.2 elements from my Norton Ghost 10.0 CD and incorporating same into a bootable BartPE-XPE CD (reatogo edition), I was delighted to see the image below:

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #31 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 9:51am

El_Pescador wrote on Jul 28th, 2005 at 8:57pm:
"... Behold a device that previously could only conduct Norton Ghost 2003 operations at speeds slower than USB 1.1!  This device is cranky regardless of whether the USB 2.0 ports emanate from the Dell Dimension 8300 systemboard or from a NEC-compliant SIIG NN2660 PCI-to-USB 2.0/Firewire 400/FireWire 800 Combo Host Controller Adapter Card.  Without NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine, it borders on being just about useless with DOS-based Norton Ghost 2003..."  

216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/176/176523/folders/122427/1388348ME320pic.jpg

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 6:52pm:
"...  Parenthetically, let me report that today I used the PE feature of the bootable Norton Ghost 10.0 CD to successfully perform a full-scale Norton Ghost "disk-to-image" Backup procedure of the MASTER HDD (SATA) on my Dell Dimension 8100 - followed by a clean Integrity Check - onto the alternate NTFS partition of the 120GB Seagate IDE HDD mounted in my Bytecc ME-320U2 USB 2.0 external enclosure kit..."

Last night I repeated the task outlined above using the BartPE-XPE CD described in the post above.  
With Norton Ghost 8.2 onhand, I doubt that problems with external HDDs - particularly USB - will bedevil me ever again !

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #32 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 10:36am

El_Pescador

Very interesting testing and results!

I'm curious--with all your testing of USB and the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment, BartPE, and ReatogoPE, have you run across any problems as discussed in this thread
Missing External HDD's in Ghost 10's RE
?

I believe you have at least one *dual* HDD enclosure kit that allows you to use either USB or Firewire--I would be interested, if you have the opportunity at some point, to have you hook up a USB unit and the Firewire unit when you boot the one of the various Recovery Environments above and using the Ghost32 v8.xx--look at the order that *disk #'s* are assigned and reported for the various devices.

My device order is from disk #1 to disk #8 is:

Firewire HDD  (#1)
USB HDD  (#2)
USB non-HDD mass storage (card reader)  (#3, #4, #5, #6)
Internal HDD  (#7)
Internal HDD  (#8)

I'm curious if other systems enumerate the disk #'s in the same order?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  ;) !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #33 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 11:14am

NightOwl wrote on Apr 24th, 2006 at 10:36am:
"... I believe you have at least one *dual* HDD enclosure kit that allows you to use either USB or Firewire--I would be interested, if you have the opportunity at some point, to have you hook up a USB unit and the Firewire unit when you boot the one of the various Recovery Environments above and using the Ghost32 v8.xx--look at the order that *disk #'s* are assigned and reported for the various devices..."
El_Pescador wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:20pm:
"... Regrettably, I am pretty much on the sidelines for with the exception of a Dell Dimension 8100 coupled to an external Iomega 80GB USB HDD, all of my
remaining gear
- those items not ruined by Katrina's floodwaters, I might add - resides in "deep mothballs" to escape the incredibly pervasive dust associated with renovating a "slab-on-grade" gutted house..."

The
'remaining gear'
alluded to above contains those items necessary to respond to your inquiry.  I estimate that at least four more months will have to pass before our home can become fully livable so that said items will have a suitable environment for normal service.  I really doubt that I will live long enough to be genuinely shut of the aggravating dust and filth currently coating our residence and all of the contents therein.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #34 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 7:31pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 23rd, 2006 at 12:15am:
"... By using the Reatogo AutoDriver routine to reconcile my SATA HDD situation, modifying the BartPE Ghost8 plugin to accept the Norton Ghost 8.2 elements from my Norton Ghost 10.0 CD and incorporating same into a bootable BartPE-XPE CD (reatogo edition), I was delighted to see the image below:..."

I am delighted to relate that I successfully used the Norton Ghost 8.2 routine contained in the BartPE-XPE CD described above to:
    (1) perform a "disk-to-image" Backup from a SATA MASTER HDD to an USB external HDD;
    (2) perform a positive Integrity Check on the Ghost 8.2 image referenced above;
    (3) perform a "image-to-disk" Restore of said image from an USB external HDD to an internal SLAVE HDD; and
    (4) perform a "disk-to-disk" Clone from a SATA MASTER HDD to an internal IDE SLAVE HDD.
In light of the performance outlined above, I harbor no reservations about Norton Ghost 8.2 employed in this manner, i.e., as a fit substitute for Norton Ghost 2003 whenever DOS-related problems are likely to arise.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 7:57pm

EP,

You have all bases covered. One question. How did you do the screen capture from ReatogoXPE?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #36 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 9:19pm

Brian wrote on Apr 26th, 2006 at 7:57pm:
"... One question. How did you do the screen capture from ReatogoXPE?..."

Actually, the only way that I know how -
Shift + Print Screen
, then '... Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint > Edit > Paste > Save As...' -  Embarrassed
EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #37 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 9:26pm

So simple. I'd forgotten that Paint was included in ReatogoXPE.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #38 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 5:51pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 2:04pm:
"... be advised that I have no intention of ever using Norton Ghost 10.0 in the Windows XP mode - instead, I choose to use the Ghost 8.2 aspect in a Preinstalled Environment for situations where Ghost 2003 is troublesome, i.e., USB host/device controller issues and such...."

I have a pal still using Windows 98SE on a Dell PIII desktop PC (128K RDRAM) outfitted with Norton Ghost 2003.  He reported readily booting with the BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) CD I loaned him despite the fact his system is some 8 years old and has never had any XP components onboard.  Our next trick is to see if we can successfully perform Integrity Checks on his Ghost 2003 backup images with Ghost 8.2 inside the Preinstalled Environment.  The goal here is to have an emergency boot CD for an obsolescent system onhand in the event of the MASTER HDD failing to boot for whatever reason (as happened to my eldest daughter's eMachine due to a corrupted file in the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32).

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #39 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 8:18pm

El_Pescador wrote on Jun 13th, 2006 at 5:51pm:
"... I have a pal still using Windows 98SE on a Dell PIII desktop PC (128K RDRAM) outfitted with Norton Ghost 2003.  He reported readily booting with the BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) CD I loaned him despite the fact his system is some 8 years old and has never had any XP components onboard.  Our next trick is to see if we can successfully perform Integrity Checks on his Ghost 2003 backup images with Ghost 8.2 inside the Preinstalled Environment..."

The Dell PIII desktop PC outfitted with Windows 98SE used Ghost 8.2 on a BartPE-XPE CD to successfully perform Integrity Checks on backup images previously created with Ghost 2003; following that, a Dell Inspiron 7500 PII notebook PC (128K SDRAM) running 98SE did likewise in a Preinstalled Environment.  

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #40 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 10:47pm

El_Pescador

To emphasize a point here--you are using the *BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) CD*, and not Ghost 9.x or 10.x's Recovery Environment (RE) from it's Recovery Disk.

Ghost's RE requires 256 MB of RAM (or more--see below!) to successfully boot to the RE--and you are being successful with 128 MB of RAM--good info to know for folks with *older* system with less RAM!

I just checked the *System Requirements* for Ghost 10--and to install on an WinXP system, you only need 128 MB of RAM, but 256 MB of RAM to use the RE!

And here's another interesting tidbit from the Ghost 10 User Guide:

Quote:
The recovery environment requires a minimum of 256
MB of RAM to run. If your computer’s video card is
configured to share your computer’s RAM,
you might
need more than 256 MB of RAM to use the recovery
environment

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #41 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 6:26pm

NightOwl wrote on Jun 14th, 2006 at 10:47pm:
"... To emphasize a point here--you are using the *BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) CD*,
and not Ghost 9.x or 10.x's Recovery Environment (RE) from it's Recovery Disk

Ghost's RE requires 256 MB of RAM to successfully boot to the RE..."

Using the Dell Inspiron 7500 PII notebook PC (Windows 98SE, 128K SDRAM), I tried to boot into the Norton Ghost 10.0 Recovery Environment (RE) from my Recovery Disk only to get a warning of insufficient memory.  I dismissed the warning and forged ahead anyway only to cascade into a series of Error Messages leading up to a dismal failure.  A careful repetition - taking notes the whole while - met the same fate.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #42 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 7:47pm

El_Pescador wrote on Jun 14th, 2006 at 8:18pm:
"... The Dell PIII desktop PC outfitted with Windows 98SE used Ghost 8.2 on a BartPE-XPE CD to successfully perform Integrity Checks on backup images previously created with Ghost 2003; following that, a Dell Inspiron 7500 PII notebook PC (128K SDRAM) running 98SE did likewise in a Preinstalled Environment..."

Later on, I used the BartPE-XPE CD to perform a Norton Ghost 8.2 "disk-to-image" Backup of the internal MASTER HDD in the Dell Inspiron 7500 PII notebook PC (WIN 98SE, 128K SDRAM) onto an Iomega 80GB external HDD via the USB 1.1 port of the notebook.  Using the BartPE-XPE CD with Ghost 8.2, I performed an Integrity Check on said image in
00:33:48
with USB 1.1 connectivity; using USB 1.1 drivers for Norton Ghost 2003 within the Windows 98SE GUI required
00:57:29
to perform the exact same task.  Chalk up another plus for Ghost 8.2 onboard a BartPE-XCPE CD.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print