Send Topic Print
can I delete it? (Read 20590 times)
fyall
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

can I delete it?
Apr 9th, 2006 at 6:59am

I'll give you a bit of background on my problem first:

Windows XP install got corrupted and I could not repair it so I re-installed XP on another partition on my HD and now this install is working fine. My question is can I now format the partition my old corrupt XP is on without any problems ( it is not dual boot and boots straight into the new XP install)?

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: can I delete it?
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 7:28am

fyall,

What drive letter is your WinXP using? If it's not C: drive then save yourself potential heartache and start all over again with an empty HD.

IP Logged

fyall
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 7:53am

corrupt XP is on drive E:
working XP is on drive D:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 7:58am

I'd definitely delete both partitions.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 9:40am

fyall

Quote:
My question is can I now format the partition my old corrupt XP is on without any problems ( it is not dual boot and boots straight into the new XP install)?

I'd say *it depends*--depends on what you want to end up with.

You obviously do not have your WinXP installed with the classic C:\ drive arrangement for either of your WinXP installs:

Quote:
corrupt XP is on drive E:
working XP is on drive D:

So, if you're okay with the current drive letter assignments, then probably the current working XP is okay with it.

The issue of installing your OS on a different partition than the *default* is you now have to keep track of what you are doing and translate OS issues from the *default* step-by-step instructions to the arrangement you have set up.

You say:

Quote:
( it is not dual boot and boots straight into the new XP install)?

So, where is the boot partition?  Is it the C:\ partition?  (It's where the active boot.ini file, ntldr, & NTDETECT.COM--among others--are located.)

What is the content of the *boot.ini* file--if it lists only the one working WinXP, and there are no references to the corrupt WinXP, and you have no need for any of the files on the corrupt WinXP's partition--then you probably can re-format over it.

But, I'd have a good whole drive image to restore before I proceed so I could recover if some miscalculation has occurred  Wink !

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

fyall
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 10:51am

how can I find for certain which partition is the boot partition and where the boot.ini is saved?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 11:19am

fyall

Open Window Explorer and do a Search--should show up in the results--note--tell Search to look in all local hard drives.

If you have not set Windows Explorer folder options to show all files, you can do the following--open Windows Explorer, select menu item *Tools/Folder Options...*:

Once in *Folder Options*, click on the *View* tab, make your settings like this:

I click on *Apply to All Folders*, and if needed *Apply*, and finally *OK*.  Now, all files should be visible when using Windows Explorer.

If more than one *boot.ini* file shows up in the search, then more detective work will be needed to see which one is the *active* boot.ini file.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

fyall
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 2:15pm

tried this but all that seems to come up are two boot.ini backup files but not the actual file.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 2:24pm

fyall

Quote:
all that seems to come up are two boot.ini backup files but not the actual file

What are the file's names--why do you say they are *backup files*?

What drive letter are they located on?

Is there the *ntldr* and *ntdetect.com* files on the same drive as one of the above *boot.ini* files?

IP Logged

fyall
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 4:03pm

the files are called boot.ini.backup and the file type is backup. The ntldr and ntdetect files are all located on the same drive as the working XP install.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 4:20pm

You can also find out which drive has your boot files by using Disk Management.  From the conrtol panel, click on "Administrative Options" and then "Computer Mangement."  In the left window pane, click on "Disk Management".  It should have a list of all  your hard drives and all the partitions on them.  It will also put something like "(boot)" and "(system)" next to two of the drives.  If you only have one that says "(system)" then that is the one with the boot files on it. 

You can also use the Disk Management tool to delete and format any partitions that you find are safe to delete.  Right click on any partition and choose "Create Partition."   That will start an easy wizard that will format a drive.

IP Logged

fyall
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 4:29pm

the c: drive is the boot drive
the d: drive (working XP) is the system drive
the e: drive (corrupt XP) says healthy

I take from this information I should be able to format the e: drive and not affect the boot ar system drives?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 4:46pm

fyall

Have you found the boot files on C:\?

Have you reviewed the contents of the boot.ini file on C:\?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #13 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 2:53am

Sounds like it is safe to format E:.  As NightOwl suggested, you may want to double check by looking through the contents of C: to make sure the boot files are there, but if all is in order, then right click on E: and have your way with it.

IP Logged

fyall
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 4:57am

the strange thing is there are no files on c: and explorer only finds the two boot.ini backup files as I explained above so I still cannot find the actual boot.ini file

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print