Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost and Primary Partition (Read 4676 times)
plainolguy
Gnarly

What a mess!

I`m out there!

Ghost and Primary Partition
Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:12pm

When I try to use Ghost 2003, I get about halfway through and just before it should be making an image of what I want, I get a message that says something about not being able to image because unable to find MBR slot and something about no primary partition available.  I can`t remember the whole message.  If I need to I will write it down though. 
Any thoughts about why I`m getting this?//////////Plain

Aaaaaaaarrrggghhhhh!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost and Primary Partition
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:48pm

plainolguy

You are using the Windows interface for Ghost 2003--you set up the Ghost procedure from within Windows, then Ghost shuts down Windows (this is where you get your error message), boots to DOS to do the Ghost procedure, and then boots back to Windows.

Ghost 2003's Windows interface, in order to close down Windows and then do the Ghost procedure requires that it create in the Master Boot Record, a *virtual partition* listing.

Your Master Boot Record has four primary partition slots available per HDD to hold partition information.  On the boot HDD that you have your Windows OS on, and from which you must run Ghost 2003 from--you have already used up the four primary partition slots to hold partition information.

For Ghost 2003 to run from Windows--there has to be an unused, open primary slot on the boot HDD for Ghost to place its *virtual partition* information.

You can run the DOS version of Ghost 2003 without having a free primary partition slot available however.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 2:11pm

IP Logged

plainolguy
Gnarly

What a mess!

I`m out there!

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 2:28pm

Okay, I finally made an image of my OS and put it in safe place on the other drive.  Now when I go to check if Ghost is happy with the image I get another type error message.  I`m gonna read the manual agaiin and see what`s up.  I`ll be back.                  Plain Undecided

Aaaaaaaarrrggghhhhh!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print