Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recovery Point in Ghost 10? (Read 5524 times)
MacKenrick
Radmeister

Help Stamp Out & Eradicate
Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Recovery Point in Ghost 10?
Apr 11th, 2006 at 12:17am

I'm still trying to learn how to use Ghost 10.  Can someone tell me what a "Recovery Point" is?  When I go to make a "Backup" of my "C" drive, I go through the Ghost screens and near the end I get a screen called "Completing the Define Backup Wizard".  At the bottom of that screen is a check box in front of "Create Recovery Point Now".  Am I supposed to put a check in that box?  What happens if I don't put a check there?  The help file isn't very informative on this topic.

Thanks, Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Recovery Point in Ghost 10?
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 12:47am

Mac,

I don't like the new terminology either.

Quote:
1. backup job > backup, created when you define a new backup.

2. backup image > recovery point, referring to points in time
   to which you can recover files, folders, or whole computer
   systems.

3. base with incrementals > recovery point set, or a base
   recovery point with incremental recovery points.

4. full backup > independent recovery point

5. image file > recovery point

6. Backup Image Browser > Recovery Point Browser

Quote:
At the bottom of that screen is a check box in front of "Create Recovery Point Now".  Am I supposed to put a check in that box?

It's a do it now or do it later check box. eg if you have a schedule.

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 7:33pm

Brain, thanks for explaining what some of the terms mean.  I think I understand but just to make sure can you tell me if I'm doing it righ.  I am making a Backup that I will also be burning to DVD's.  Here's what I do:

1. Launch Ghost and select Backup Now.
2. Select "Define New Backup Job.
3. Select my "C" drive and select NEXT.
4. Check "Independent Recovery Point".
5. Select "Standard Compression".
6. Select "Divide Into Smaller Files" and select 3857MB
7. Select "Manually" for How to Create Recovery Point.
8. At "Completing the Define Backup Wizard", I check "Create Recovery Point Now, then Finish.

For this type of operation, is it recommended to put a check mark by "Create Recovery Point Now" in step #8 or can I just leave it unchecked?

Also, should I use the preset 3857MB or type in my own number?  When I use the 3857MB I think I have about 600 MB of free space left on each DVD.

Thanks,  Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 7:58pm

Mac, it looks fine. For size you can choose anything up to 4482 MB as that is the maximum DVD size. You need to use the UDF mode to burn in Nero as it's larger than 2 GB. I assume you will burn your images to DVD later and not direct from Ghost 10. I choose 4480 MB. You need to tick "Create Recovery Point Now".

I wrote this a while ago.

Quote:
Start Ghost 10
click Back Up Now
click Define New Backup
In the Easy Setup Window put a dot in Define a new custom backup. OK
click Next in the Define Backup Wizard
select the drive to backup. Next
put dot in Independent recovery point. Next
choose the location for the backup image. Next
Compression Standard (recommended). Tick verify. Untick Limit the number of ... Ignore Advanced if you don't need to split the image. Next
dot in Manually
tick Create Recovery point now
Finish

Quote:
SCHEDULED Backup

Start Ghost 10
Click Back up Now
click Define New backup
Define Backup Wizard opens, Next
In the Easy Setup put a dot in Define a new custom backup, OK
Define Backup Wizard opens, Next
select the drive to backup, Next
choose Recovery point set (recommended), Next
Choose location and filename, Next
Choose desired compression, Tick Verify recovery point after creation, Choose your Limit...(I leave unticked), ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Dot in Scheduled, click Define Custom Schedule
Scheduling tab,Top part is for the days and the time that recovery points (Base and Incremental) will be created. I tick all days.
Untick "Create more than one recovery point per day" if you only need one , otherwise choose the number of incremental recovery points
Choose frequency of Base recovery points at the bottom, eg weekly, monthly, etc    I choose weekly
Click "Event trigger" tab, Choose any of the four or leave unticked, (I leave unticked) OK, Next
Tick "Create recovery point now" if you want it done before the scheduled time, Finish

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:50am

Thank you Brian,

That is exactly what I needed.  The way for doing a Single Backup and the way for doing a Scheduled Backup.  I'm still not sure why Ghost gives you the option to check or not check "Create Recovery Point Now" when you are doing a Defined Backup since you need to check it.  Oh well. 

Thanks again, Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 8:09am

MacKenrick wrote on Apr 11th, 2006 at 12:17am:
I'm still trying to learn how to use Ghost 10.  Can someone tell me what a "Recovery Point" is?  When I go to make a "Backup" of my "C" drive, I go through the Ghost screens and near the end I get a screen called "Completing the Define Backup Wizard".  At the bottom of that screen is a check box in front of "Create Recovery Point Now".  Am I supposed to put a check in that box?  What happens if I don't put a check there?  The help file isn't very informative on this topic.
Thanks, Mac

Mac, I don't know if this is obvious or not, but once you have defined your "Backup of your C Drive", you don't have to go through all the choices each time.

Next time, just go to the "Backup Now" choice, then select the previously defined backup, and then select the "BackupNow" button at the bottom of the screen.

Welcome to Ghost 10!

Brian gave a great thorough explanation for Ghost terminology.  I like to think of a Recovery Point, as a point in time to which Ghost can restore a file/folder/system from.  So if you take a full backup each week, then three weeks later, you would have three points in past time (Recovery Points) to which you could restore a file/folder/system.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print