Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boot CD Thanks Nightowl (Read 3112 times)
newfilter
N00b

CA, USA

Boot CD Thanks Nightowl
Apr 13th, 2006 at 10:11pm

Well after looking for the best backup imaging solution I decided to go with Ghost 2003. I already had the program and I had used it with removeable media but when I got a second HDD I figured why waste so much time?

That is when I found Radified, the guide to Ghost and finally Nightowl's Boot CD creation guide SIMPLY THE BOMB. I have no floppy drive and it has been a hard road. I have SATA hard drives so I really wanted to use the Ghost.exe that had been live updated on my PC. I diligently followed the directions and by gosh for the first time I had a real-live boot CD in my hand that actually worked!!

My FIRST question is? I was able to boot up, ghost was executed and I was able to navigate to my latest image on my second SATA hdd and verify that image in DOS. Is that a sufficent test of my fail-safe measures or do I need to go to the extent of restoring the image to my system partition??

SECOND question, now that I see the beauty of WinImage what other boot disc's would you all recommend I make while the press is HOT? I thought that I might want to create a boot disc with the latest VER of my BIOS incase I ever need to flash to the later VER, for now this older one is working well (if it works don't fix it). I guess I should attempt to create a WinXP SP2 boot disc but I probably won't ever need it now that I can just use my latest Ghost Image to fix most problems...

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Thanks again Rad and Nightowl you have REALLY MADE MY DAY!!

newfilter  Roll Eyes

~Athlon64 3400+ (HAMMER), MB ASUS K8V SE DELUXE, TWIN 1024 (2-GIG) CORSAIR XMS PRO PC-3200C2 , VGA ATI|RADEON 9600XT 128M 8X , Sony DVD ROM DDU1613, Sony DVD-RW DWU18a, [2] MAXTOR 6Y200M0 SATA 200 GIG --WINXP HOME BUILD 2600.XPSP_SP2~

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Boot CD Thanks Nightowl
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:16am

newfilter

Thanks for the positive feedback--makes the effort worthwhile  Wink !

Quote:
My FIRST question is? I was able to boot up, ghost was executed and I was able to navigate to my latest image on my second SATA hdd and verify that image in DOS. Is that a sufficent test of my fail-safe measures

That's probably as close as you can come to verify that you can restore your image, without actually doing it--no one can say for sure, though, until you perform the acid test by doing a restore on a spare HDD, or have to restore on your *live* HDD!

Quote:
what other boot disc's would you all recommend I make while the press is HOT?

Sky's the limit--whatever you might deem useful or necessary!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 1:31am

Yeah, thanks for the kind words.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 1:08pm

Hey - is this a great forum - or what !!!

IP Logged

ThistleSailor
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 12:57pm

Yes! This is a wonderful forum, since I found it Sunday I have spent most of 2 days browsing the site and trying several of the same things you have though not totally successful yet.

As to the question about other bootable cd's that might be of value, at the bottom of Nightowl's page "Guide to Creating Bootable CD" there is a reference to the "Ultimate Boot CD" that might be of interest.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print