Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help ghosting XP (Read 7698 times)
Yamovitch

Need help ghosting XP
Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:54am

So, the plan was to use ghost suite (very cool, might I add) to move Win XP and data from a 20Gd drive to an 80Gb that's currently installed in a notebook. What I did was to pull the smaller drive out of the notebook, connect it to IDE controller of a desktop, along with the new drive (both on different IDE channels), boot Ghost from CDR, and do the deed.

Now, the transfer seemed to go okay.  Ghost says it was successful and verified correctly. I tested the OLD drive in the notebook-- it still boots okay.

The NEW drive, however, when installed in the notebook, only gives me a blinking cursor in the upper l.h. corner. I'm sure this is a common XP problem with Ghost, but after looking through the posts here I seem to have missed the solution.

Anyone have any thoughts? Can you point me to the appropirate links?

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Need help ghosting XP
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:25am

Yamovitch,

I just need to ask a few questions.
Was it Ghost 8.* that you used to do a clone from small to large HD?
How did you verify? I thought you could only verify images, not clones. I've never used Ghost 8.* for a clone so you may be correct.
What choices (Disk, Partition) did you make with Ghost?
After the POST there is just a blinking cursor, no other WinXP activity?

IP Logged

ChelseaOilman
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 10:29pm

I'm having the exact same issue. I've used Ghost 2003 many times to clone HDDs on computers I've built and never had a problem. Now when I tried to clone the HDD on my IBM Thinkpad T42 all I get is the blinking cursor from the clone. It seems the MBR is missing. Just like Yamovitch, I cloned the drive in a desktop machine. The original drive will boot, but the clone won't when I tried them in the notebook. Since the cloned drive doesn't boot I thought I would install it as a second drive in the notebook to see if all the files are present. They are.

This is what they look like in Disk Management.

I never cloned a drive that had a hidden service partition. Is that what's screwing things up? Any ideas how to fix this? Maybe run repair console and FixMBR or FixBoot? I've never done that before so not quite sure about how to do it.

When I Googled I found at least one other person trying to find a solution to this problem here. I don't know if there's an answer there, you have to pay to find out. TIA for any help I can get.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 1:59am

ChelseaOilman,

Concerning http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_21731231.html

Just scroll down the page for the replies. Don't click "View Solution".

Repeat the clone and if it doesn't boot try Method #3.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm#method3

IP Logged

ChelseaOilman
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 10:01am

Brian wrote on Apr 22nd, 2006 at 1:59am:
Just scroll down the page for the replies. Don't click "View Solution".

LOL, that's so funny! The answers are right there and I didn't notice.  Embarrassed

I have a day off from work Sunday, so I'll try again to get the drive working then. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Carl

IP Logged

ChelseaOilman
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 1:05pm

So far things aren't going to well.  Sad

I did a long post with lots of information only to be greeted with a page timed out message when I hit the submit button.  Angry

I have to go to work in a few minutes so I don't have time right now to redo the post.

Quick question, why doesn't Ghost 2003, or Ghost 10 see the second hard disk when I tried to clone on the laptop? While in Windows, device manager, disk manager, and Windows Explorer can all see the second drive. I guess I'm stuck only being able to clone the drive by moving both drives to my desktop computer.

Carl

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 5:14pm

"Now when I tried to clone the HDD on my IBM Thinkpad T42 all I get is the blinking cursor from the clone."

"What I did was to pull the smaller drive out of the notebook, connect it to IDE controller of a desktop, along with the new drive (both on different IDE channels), boot Ghost from CDR, and do the deed."

Can't do it that way.  For details, see:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11286...

IP Logged

ChelseaOilman
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2006 at 10:19pm

Thanks for that link, Dan. It helped me get on the right track. I did finally get my cloned drive to boot. I found a page at IBM that gave me the final bit of info I needed to make it work.

Partition does not boot after being restored with Norton Ghost

Quote:
Symptom
The master boot record on affected systems is comprised of 4 sectors, as opposed to the single sector expected by Norton Ghost. Since the boot is dependent on coding contained in all 4 sectors, the system hangs when it attempts to boot to the incomplete master boot record. A "signature failure" error message may also be displayed.
Affected configurations
This symptom apples to any NetVista, ThinkCentre and ThinkPad system using the WinPE Rescue and Recovery partition; as opposed to the PARTIES partition used on NetVista, ThinkCentre and ThinkPad systems prior to 2004.
Solution
The Ghost documentation provides the solution. Use the -IB switch when invoking Ghost from the command line or within a batch file. This should be done on both the image creation. The command line syntax is, C:\> GHOST -IB
A complete list of Ghost command line switches is displayed by typing GHOST ? and pressing the Enter key at the command prompt. For further information, contact Symantec technical support.
Additional information
If you need to Ghost an entire hard drive, including a hidden partition, use the following method:
Enter BIOS, go to Security, and set the predesktop area to "disabled" to make the hidden partition visible on the system with the source drive.
Run Symantec Ghost with the -IB switch when you create the image (example: C:\> GHOST -IB)
After the image is created, make the predesktop area visible on the target system by disabling it.
Restore the image created in step 2. No special switches are needed for this step.
Reset the predesktop area to "normal", the system may be booted normally to the operating system or to the predesktop area by pressing the Access IBM key during POST.
Note: Source drive and target drive must be the same size.

I don't know why I didn't search their site earlier. I guess I didn't expect them to give tips on how to use Norton Ghost.  Embarrassed

Carl

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print