Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Restoring an image to a different computer (Read 124427 times)
mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Restoring an image to a different computer
Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 5:27pm

I restored an IMB t30  to a dell d410 Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 5:56pm

Well that's certainly "different hardware". I had a good experience too.

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 6:03pm

I was thrilled I dont know about this new pushback but it must have soemthign to do with non standard pc's  I dont and wont build my own, but I like knowing i dont have to spend days restoring .. and of course the direct back to same pc works great  allot less painful than ghost

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #18 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 7:11pm

interesting.

for a long time, conventional wisdom was > new computer = clean install.

seems this is no longer the case.

any caveats associated with this?

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 7:13pm

Rad wrote on Jun 29th, 2006 at 7:11pm:
interesting.

for a long time, conventional wisdom was > new computer = clean install.

seems this is no longer the case.

any caveats associated with this?

dont know really, it worked right out of the box so (lol) I cant be much help I just followed the manual and Nham! it worked..

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 7:49pm

From Acronis..

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136822

When you first boot after restoring the image there is a prolonged period of finding new hardware and installing drivers. All done without user intervention. Some devices will of course need further attention.

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #21 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 9:12pm

Nice link.

Like I said in the other thread, I still have my doubts.  I'll meddle with Acronis as I do have a copy, but as your insightful link to their customer support forum warrants, it's going to remain an issue of what hardware was present at the creation of an image, and the difference in the destination's hardware.  I would love to see an older HP imaged on to a Dell Dimension, that would make me pitch a friggin tent!  Thus resurecting my love for imaging and my thirst for knowledge of the sort.

But for now, excellent work guys.  I've learned alot, this is like my third day in the threads total and I've learned so much from everyone.

You guys rock!!!

I'm going to Cleveland for the weekend with my four year old daughter, they have a big science museum (for her) and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (for me....  and her too... I guess).

I'm going to check out Acronis right now.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

Tnelson
Dude

ghoster

OKC

Reply #22 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 9:54pm

John. wrote on Apr 26th, 2006 at 6:59pm:
NightOwl, I wasn't questioning your statement, but responding to exactly what you clarified, and I agree, -- that there is a lot of MIS-information out there.

I think when XP first came out everyone was afraid they would be stuck in the middle of the night with no way to re-activate.  That's a legitimate concern, but it hasn't turned out to be a problem.

I suppose the only others that are concerned would be someone who wants to install one license copy of XP (or one Ghost image) on 10 PC's.  Well, that is a problem, and anyone trying to
pirate
in this way should be concerned.

The problem lies with those who are system admins.  We generally use one key for all of our installs.  Thats the way we like it, and thats how microsoft wants it.  We have x amount of licenses and can be audited to see if we are over that.  We have our own update servers, so we dont rely on the windows update etc.

But when we do a fresh install, with the disks we have, it does not require validation.   With a ghost image, when it sees the hardware change, all the sudden it wants to "activate" itself.  Like you said, this requires a phone call.  No big deal......unless you have 500 pcs to do.  The way microsoft does it, they recognize that you have that key and x amount of licenses, but they still shut off activation and make you call after a certain amount.  This is a pain in the ass.  So to me, if it throws a "wga event" its a problem.  With the right system prep, i can make it work fine though.

Local ghost long time user, working on netcasting.
Tne7  
IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #23 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 10:34pm

Tnelson

Quote:
With the right system prep, i can make it work fine though.

Okay--I got the *teaser*--but, it's good to share--I'll bite--What's the *right system prep*?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tnelson
Dude

ghoster

OKC

Reply #24 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 10:47pm

NightOwl wrote on Jun 29th, 2006 at 10:34pm:
Tnelson

Okay--I got the *teaser*--but, it's good to share--I'll bite--What's the *right system prep*?

Sorry was not meant as a teaser.   Uninstall ALL hardware you can.  You will need an XP disk for this, prefereably the one you used to install originally.  Then you sysprep it and then create the image.  Send the image to another machine and pop the CD in to pick up the driver library off the CD.  I will get into more extensive.  

Thats all i have right now, i will be working with it much more extensively the next 3 days, so i should be able to tell for sure the best way of doing this.  I am going to try all the different methods of prepping the system etc to see what the best method is.

Local ghost long time user, working on netcasting.
Tne7  
IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #25 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 11:51pm

Tnelson

I've read some and have heard it referenced fairly often, but *Sysprep* is somewhat of a mystery to me.

A step-by-step tutorial on its use would be very interesting and helpful--if you happen to have the time.

Quote:
Uninstall ALL hardware you can.  You will need an XP disk for this, prefereably the one you used to install originally.

WinXP uses the installation CD to uninstall hardware?--are you using *Device Mgr* to do this--I've not run across WinXP asking for the installation CD to uninstall hardware with Device Mgr.

Quote:
Send the image to another machine and pop the CD in to pick up the driver library off the CD.

At what point do you do that, and where are you putting the driver library?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 2:49am

My hand is up for a tutorial as well.

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 7:05am

Ditto, mine is up as well.

I use a less legal method that works wonderful in seconds.  But at the risk of being called a
pirate
..... not good if your worried about getting audited that's for d*mn sure. 

I've never had the problem with imaging and the WPA.dbl giving any message, then again I'm not a network administrator (only three computers on my network).

But I would like to hear the method discussed in the previous thread as well.

My method applies a patch which can be undone if necessary to the winlogon.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 7:20am

MadtKrandle wrote on Jun 29th, 2006 at 9:12pm:
Nice link.

Like I said in the other thread, I still have my doubts.  I'll meddle with Acronis as I do have a copy, but as your insightful link to their customer support forum warrants, it's going to remain an issue of what hardware was present at the creation of an image, and the difference in the destination's hardware.  I would love to see an older HP imaged on to a Dell Dimension, that would make me pitch a friggin tent!  Thus resurecting my love for imaging and my thirst for knowledge of the sort.

But for now, excellent work guys.  I've learned alot, this is like my third day in the threads total and I've learned so much from everyone.

You guys rock!!!

I'm going to Cleveland for the weekend with my four year old daughter, they have a big science museum (for her) and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (for me....  and her too... I guess).

I'm going to check out Acronis right now.

would you settle for an HP5300 to a Dell optiplex gx280?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #29 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 8:33am

mackey

Quote:
would you settle for an HP5300 to a Dell optiplex gx280?

Are you saying you *have done this* with the above systems--or you have those systems and could give it a try?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print