Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Restoring an image to a different computer (Read 124423 times)
mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Restoring an image to a different computer
Reply #30 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 9:27am

NightOwl wrote on Jun 30th, 2006 at 8:33am:
mackey

Are you saying you *have done this* with the above systems--or you have those systems and could give it a try?

I am gong to do it Monday Smiley I have the image of my HP 5300 and Monday I will drop that on the dell 280 -- Ill report back

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #31 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 5:46pm

Yeah, that'd be rad...  I'd like to see that.  I told you guys about what I did to my girlfriends Dell, I damn near got laughed at.  Had to restore the damn thing from an XP install all the way up.....    sucked, I was up half the night.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #32 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 9:51pm

Sorry for jumping in again, but I'm on DVD #7 of making a ghost image of my kid brother's Sony VAIO.  The brat bought it in Korea (Army) for $650.  It seems to be a nice laptop but he's got so much crap on it and it's got Win XP without an actual CD just the recovery console.  Anyways, he's got the thing running wicked slow so I'm backing it up on DVD with Ghost 2003, then I'm putting the image from my HP Brio onto it and hoping for the best.  If all else fails, he can have his 7 DVD image restored, or I can put a clean install of XP Home SP2 on it.  But I'm hoping my image works cos it saves me hours of bullsh*t.  That's why I love Ghost.

I'll jump in later and let you guys know.  I'm also looking forward to the previous post's task and the outcome of that endeavor.

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #33 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 5:59am

HP BRIO > SONY VAIO IMAGE RESTORATION IN GHOST 2003 from BOOTABLE CD

SUCCESS.....   NOT!!!!!

Not a chance in hell.  That screen that comes on and tells you to boot from windows, start in safe mode, with last working configuration etc.  is starting to give me nightmares.  Loops back to the beggining and that's where you're stuck.

I did a restore from a partition image and it all went to hell.  BUt here's something interesting, When I backed up the VAIO I did a disk image rather than a partition image.  NOw bear with me cos I'm no expert, but I would assume that would transfer both existing partitions on the hard drive (primary and recovery) to DVD.

So why is it then, that after sh*tcanning the system in general and subsequently having to restore the disk image priorly made with my tail between my legs did I get the message in Ghost "Norton Ghost needs to create a new image span, insert disc or select new drive"  I finally figured it was probably asking for all of my DVD's that had the image like it wanted to size them up, maybe like compression programs do when you span across multiple volumes.  But when I stuck all the DVD's in one by one it finally got to the last one and said it was looking for an additional consecutive file that didn't exist.

What's that all about?  At the bottom it said in the "what's happening right now" section "destination partion too small, some source data will not be transferred-----  HELLO, I just made the backup image from the same hard drive last night, Might have something to do with the two partitions-I don''t know. 

So, then I got worried and restarted the whole damn thing.  This time I did a restore partition from image and so far it's at about 40% and it's hard to type with my fingers crossed.

Why couldn't I restore a disk image from a disk image?
Restoring the partition image, I only restored the main bootable one (active, primary) with the OS on it, I didn't restore the recovery one yet and I might not after all.

I just don't get it, I feel like I'm meddling where I don't belong but it only makes me meddle even harder the next time because I guess that's just how I learn the best.

Any Ideas?

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #34 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 12:38pm

mackey wrote on Jun 30th, 2006 at 9:27am:
I am gong to do it Monday Smiley I have the image of my HP 5300 and Monday I will drop that on the dell 280 -- Ill report back

Update!!  --  this went off without issue!  pretty much as the thread owner said with his tests.. I made the image of the HP5300 dropped it to an external usb drive, booted up the dell 280 with the acronis cd, restored the image, it went through about 4 reboots and -- I was up an running...

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #35 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 9:43am

Now that is interesting!

I've been meaning to try acronis, the program I thought I had wasn't that, I think it was something that had the name acronis in it on an ISO I acquired, Maybe an image or something, or maybe that's where the ISO was created.  I think it was some disc utilities or something but not the Acronis program for imaging.  Looks like I'm going to have to look into it.

Thanks for the experiment.

IP Logged

mackey
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #36 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 10:04am

MadtKrandle wrote on Jul 3rd, 2006 at 9:51pm:
"... Anyways, he's got the thing running wicked slow so I'm backing it up on DVD with Ghost 2003, then I'm putting the image from my HP Brio onto it and hoping for the best..."

this would not work -- unless you have the new symantec -- restore anywhere or whatever they call it --

try the acronis it worked for me as advertised - maybe i just got lucky but Ill take it either way Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #37 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 6:05pm

note, i posted a link to this thread in the ghost guide, on the page where i discuss Restoring an Image, specifically,.. restoring an image to a different computer .. at the bottom of this page:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_3.htm

i always thot restoring an image to a new/different computer was taboo, but apparently, i was wrong.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #38 - Jul 30th, 2006 at 10:35am

Rad, on the same theme, I recommend that you also reference this thread in the Guide:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1136486359

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 2:59am

Brian wrote on Jun 30th, 2006 at 2:49am:
My hand is up for a tutorial as well.

My arm is getting tired.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #40 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 8:36pm

Pleo,

I added a link in the guide to the thread you recommend. Good thread. Lots of great info:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_3.htm

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #41 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 11:11am

Readers of this thread may also be interested in:  Universal Imaging Utility.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #42 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 2:56pm

Readers of this thread will also be interested in Reply #9+ of Can Ghost do this (for sure)?.

IP Logged

martin_ganir
Ex Member

Reply #43 - May 14th, 2008 at 10:34pm

I am new to this forum, and actually inexperienced with forums at all.
My question is this: I have often used Ghost (8) to image and then restore computers, but a recent attempt failed on more than one new disk. All the data were transfered (I checked that using my  BART boot disk, and TOTALCMD), but the new disk would not boot the computer. I suspected the image itself was corrupt, but the same result occurred using a different image. Any ideas what can be done? Thanks,
Martin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - May 14th, 2008 at 11:04pm

Martin,

Welcome. Were you using images created on the computer that you were restoring? Or were the images from a different computer?

Do you use Ghost 8 from DOS or BartPE?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print