Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Data Recovery Services? (Read 45473 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Data Recovery Services?
Reply #15 - May 8th, 2006 at 8:31am

Brian, note that only Ad-Aware SE Professional – to the best of my knowledge – allows the user to pass command-line parameters to the application.  Once the command line is constructed, it is simply a matter of scheduling its execution through the Windows XP Scheduled Tasks facility.

See section 5.2 (pages 46+) in the Ad-Aware SE Professional Manual for a description of the available command-line parameters.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - May 8th, 2006 at 5:42pm

Thanks Pleo. Read the manual! I must think of that next time.

I thought these switches were appropriate for me.

+silent +update /custom +auto +remove:3

Which ones do you use?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2006 at 9:22am

Brian, the command-line switches I use with Ad-Aware SE Professional are:
    /custom
    +log
    –mru
    +nodefnotice
    +noset
    +silent
    +update
The above are listed in the sequence in which they appear on the command-line.

IP Logged

fobmagi

Reply #18 - May 10th, 2006 at 5:26pm

Well,

I sent it to ontrack overnight delivery for standard analysis (not expidited)... they got to it the very first buisness day (monday) and by tuesday morning had a full directory listing along with a price quote. They managed to recover all of my files and said that the drive had 'internal mechanical problems and file system corruption that required clean room services'. They said they could send it out Fedex overnight the same day.So great service there, very fast turn around (3-4 days including shipping both ways).

Before I sent it in, I had read the PC magazine article somebody listed  in a previous post. The article was from 4 months ago and said that prices range from $500-$2200, they sent in a HDD that had been burned in a campfire (literally) and said that it cost $1300 to have it fixed, so I thought certainly my simple circuit failure (as I believed it to be) would be well on the bottom side of that price range.

However they said it would cost $1900 to get my files off... what the hell happened to my HDD that a campfire is more forgivng?? Me and my wife talked it over and decided that nothing on there was that important, we'd just pay the $100 evaluation fee and forget the data ever existed. I told the ontrack representative that and he offered to lower the price to $1200 (sounds like a commission worker to me...). The $1200 might have been low enough for me to spend initially, but its too little too late since we have already gone thru the emotional struggle of saying goodbye and letting the files go...

so in the end I guess we are just out an addition $140 and still don't have the files back.. oh well.. *shrug*

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #19 - May 10th, 2006 at 6:35pm

Quote:
"... Me and my wife talked it over and decided that nothing on there was that important, we'd just pay the $100 evaluation fee and forget the data ever existed. I told the ontrack representative that and he offered to lower the price to $1200 (sounds like a commission worker to me...). The $1200 might have been low enough for me to spend initially, but its too little too late since we have already gone thru the emotional struggle of saying goodbye and letting the files go..."

Me and 500,000 other Americans suffered the ravages of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.  When survivors have been questioned about what category of loss or damage ultimately proved most distressing, the overwhelming number have responded that destruction of family photos and mementos best fit that description.

If such material was contained on your stricken HDD, then believe me when I say that I do indeed feel your pain for I was flooded once (and looted twice) during Katrina - and several weeks later was forced once again to evacuate under the threat of Hurricane Rita.  Our losses of such items was quite traumatic late last summer, so when my eldest daughter had several years of family photos at risk when her eMachine hiccupped I was coldly determined to spare no expense nor effort in order to preserve her files and images. 

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #20 - May 11th, 2006 at 12:54am

Quote:
Well,

I sent it to ontrack overnight delivery for standard analysis (not expidited)... they got to it the very first buisness day (monday) and by tuesday morning had a full directory listing along with a price quote. They managed to recover all of my files and said that the drive had 'internal mechanical problems and file system corruption that required clean room services'. They said they could send it out Fedex overnight the same day.So great service there, very fast turn around (3-4 days including shipping both ways).

Before I sent it in, I had read the PC magazine article somebody listed  in a previous post. The article was from 4 months ago and said that prices range from $500-$2200, they sent in a HDD that had been burned in a campfire (literally) and said that it cost $1300 to have it fixed, so I thought certainly my simple circuit failure (as I believed it to be) would be well on the bottom side of that price range.

However they said it would cost $1900 to get my files off... what the hell happened to my HDD that a campfire is more forgivng?? Me and my wife talked it over and decided that nothing on there was that important, we'd just pay the $100 evaluation fee and forget the data ever existed. I told the ontrack representative that and he offered to lower the price to $1200 (sounds like a commission worker to me...). The $1200 might have been low enough for me to spend initially, but its too little too late since we have already gone thru the emotional struggle of saying goodbye and letting the files go...

so in the end I guess we are just out an addition $140 and still don't have the files back.. oh well.. *shrug*

THat's a cheap price.

Remember, I paid about $400 to recover a measly 1.2GB drive about 10 years ago.

The information on a drive, not to mention the cost of putting it there, and, if any sentimental value, is worth thousands of dollars.

Even $1900 would be cheap.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #21 - May 11th, 2006 at 9:30am

Fobmagi, if you have not already done so, I recommend that you ask Ontrack to mail back your hard disk drive.  You can retain the unit and by doing so, allow the option of changing your mind about the recovery of the files at a later date, if circumstances change.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print