Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recover from spanned ghost image (Read 11928 times)
Sam Sunders

Recover from spanned ghost image
May 5th, 2006 at 2:05am

Helllo all,

I had 7 DVDs containing ghost imges made by using Ghost 2003. These are old images, however I have misplaces the last 2 DVDs are not to be found.

My trouble is that I need to recover some important data, that I am sure to find within the first 2 of the spanned images. Note that these images are having the extension .v2i.

Is there a way to mount any one of the spanned image file independently of the other spanned image file, so that I can look up what data exists in wach of the spanned image file to try and recover it.

Please help me!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Recover from spanned ghost image
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2006 at 2:22am

Sam,

Are you sure about the .v2i extension? That's for Ghost 9/10, not for Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

Sam Sunders

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2006 at 7:46am

Yes, these are .v2i files.. And I checked, and yes these files were made using ghost 9

I have only 5 out of 7 parts of the spanned image. How do I retrieve data off the first 5 parts?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2006 at 1:10pm

Sam, realistically speaking, you face quite a challenge.  I recommend that you ask Symantec to see if they are willing to share specifications about the internal format used by .V2I files as well as about the compression algorithm.  It doesn’t hurt to ask, but I would be exceedingly surprised if Symantec provided such details, probably because they perceive it to be a ‘trade secret.’  If the .V2I files are password protected, then that adds yet another layer of complexity to the problem.

In any case, ask Symantec to see if you can learn more about the structure and format of the .V2I files – and, if Symantec can recommend any solution to the problem (such as a third-party service provider who performs file recovery from .V2I files).

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Sam Sunders

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2006 at 7:21pm

I went on to symantec live chat (after almost 6 hours of waiting.. !!). The support guy, said I'll need all the parts to be present. So he gave up on my issue, saying there is no solution.

Well, my image is not password protected.. I'll try and email them and ask what you did.. but by the sound of it, the chances are very slim that I might get a solution.

Actually, it can happen to anybody that a person stores backup on say 4 discs and 1 of them become corrupt..  Why should the user then, lose data on all the other 3 discs? So what is thery are spanned.. !!

This problem might not be so common.. But I didn't like the way symantec makes it so difficult (read impossible for the moment) to recover data off corrupted images.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2006 at 7:38pm

Sam Sunders

Well, to be fair--you don't have a corrupt image set--you have misplaced a couple of the discs--not quite the same.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2006 at 1:35pm

Sam, I understand your frustration.  Your experience does highlight the importance of storing a Ghost image on multiple destinations so as to guard against media failure.  In my own case, my primary Ghost storage is a slave internal hard disk drive and my secondary storage is DVD discs.  The hope is that both media (the hard disk drive and the DVD discs) will not fail at the same time.

As the number of CD or DVD discs used to store a Ghost image increases, so too does the likelihood that the image will not be able to be restored.  If the failure rate (p) of a set of discs (N) is independent, then the probability that one or more discs in the Ghost backup set will be unusable is equal to Np.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2006 at 2:18pm

Pleonasm wrote on May 6th, 2006 at 1:35pm:
If the failure rate (p) of a set of discs (N) is independent, then the probability that one or more discs in the Ghost backup set will be unusable is equal to Np.

Pleonasm,
Given that it is more likely than not that the discs are stored near each other, I would say the probability that if one were lost/misplaced is not independently independent to another being lost/misplaced.   Grin

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2006 at 2:39pm

Ghost4me, I agree with your observation.  My comment was directed to the case concerning media failure (i.e., a CD or DVD becoming defective) rather than human error.

The bottom line impact, nonetheless, is that an image spanned over multiple optical discs becomes more risky as the number of discs increase.  Redundancy is the key word in any backup strategy, and the concept applies to media.  Personally, I save the most recent six months of Ghost 10 images on DVD+R discs, so that I have a redundancy across media types (hard disk drive, DVD discs) as well as within the optical media avenue.

Although I predicted that Symantec would not be able to assist Sam, it is still unfortunate that Symantec could not make available a recovery point browser tool that functions with incomplete image file sets.  Maybe an enterprising indepenent programmer will create such a third-party tool in the future?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2006 at 3:09pm

Pleo,

I was just joking and adding some humor with my post!  Cheesy

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2006 at 3:59pm

Sam Sunders

You could consider contacting one or more of the *data recovery* services--such as *
Ontrack Data Recovery
*, etc., and asking if they offer any means of accessing an incomplete CD ghost image set or a set with a corrupted disc--this is not the first time I've seen this issue--and maybe the recovery services have developed a solution--but, I've not seen anything like that advetised.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2006 at 4:52pm

Hey, Ghost4me, I know it was humor – no problem!

NightOwl, I did check the listing of file formats that Ontrack claims to be able to repair, but unfortunately .V2I is not listed.  Nonetheless, it would not hurt for Sam to call Ontrack and ask about the situation.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2006 at 7:23pm

Quote:
"... I had 7 DVDs containing ghost images made by using
Ghost 2003
... Note that these images are having the
extension .v2i
..."

A set of Norton Ghost 2003 spanned images with the extension .v2i ?  In my experience, I have yet to see anything other than .gho and .ghs.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print