Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost Solution Suite v1.1 and Maxtor PS3200 (Read 41707 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost Solution Suite v1.1 and Maxtor PS3200
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2006 at 5:31pm

amber5465,

I'm not trying to usurp NightOwl's assistance but when you have it sorted out could you address this post?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11479...

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2006 at 10:59am

I borrowed a 200GB One-Touch II from another department and Ghost 8.3 sees it fine.   ???  -a.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2006 at 11:00am

amber5465

Some interesting results that you reported:

Quote:
Before creating the iso file the boot disk wizard does display the contents of autoexec.bat and config.sys but there is no way to edit them.  They do not call aspiehci.sys or guest.exe so the handy dandy drivers are not getting loaded so I'm back to square one.

I can confirm that Ghost 2003 reports the contents of *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys*, and does not allow any way to edit them just as you have reported.

What's interesting is that they do not call *aspiehci.sys* or *guest.exe*--I think that confirms my previous observation that Ghost 8.x has *built-in* support for USB--rather than depending on those external DOS USB driver files being loaded as occurs with Ghost 2003

(I'm surprised that Ghost 8.x even has those files in the subdirectory where boot files are stored for the Boot Wizard being as they are apparently no longer being used by Ghost 8.x.  

When running through the steps of the Boot Wizard--do you have to respond to an *options page* where you have to check a box that says you want USB 1.x, or USB 2.0, or Firewire, etc. support--and whether to have drive letter assigned to external HDD's?

I'm suspecting that if you have been upgrading your Ghost installation over time without deleting the old installation--then those files may be there from a previous Ghost version and simple have been left behind as new versions have been *over-installed* that use the same sub-directories.)

Quote:
Used boot disk wizard to create boot floppy set.  Edited config.sys to include Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v & Device=di1000dd.sys statements in =[common] section.  Added usbaspi.sys and di1000dd.sys files to floppy #1 of 2.  
PC booted without errors AND usbaspi.sys saw the Maxtor 3200.

Ghost would not run.  It made it to the blue background with gray box in foreground then hung.

Also interesting--if Ghost 8.3 has built-in USB support, AND *usbaspi.sys* saw the Maxtor 3200--Ghost hanging probably represents two drivers butting heads and trying to access the same resource and causing a *hang*--when Ghost 8.3 tries to load and access those USB HDD's--*Usbaspi.sys* has already loaded and accessed those resources.

But, that brings up some other questions--can you set your boot disk with *Usbaspi.sys*, and *di1000dd.sys*  to boot simple to the DOS A:\ prompt and not automatically attempt to load Ghost 8.3 on boot?

Does *Usbaspi.sys* mount the Maxtor 3200?  Does *di1000dd.sys* assign it a drive letter?  From the DOS A:\ prompt can you change to that drive letter of the Maxtor 3200 and access files and directories on it (the file system would have to be FAT for that test)?

Now here's an interesting question--if you have *older* versions of Ghost, such as Ghost 7.5--or even the retail non-corporate Ghost 2003 version (i.e. a version that does not have built-in USB support and therefore will not have *driver* conflicts with the USB DOS drivers)--can you load those versions of Ghost with the above USB DOS drivers and successfully access the Maxtor 3200 HDD?  

I'm still wondering what's wrong with Symantec Support!!!  They should know that Ghost 8.3 has that built-in USB support, and does not depend on some external USB DOS driver from Maxtor to work with external USB HDD's.

You should probably submit a *hardware/software* incompatibility report to Symantec Support--the only way Ghost 8.3 will be made to work correctly with that Maxtor 3200 is if Symantec tests that particular hardware, and updates their built-in USB software support for that USB HDD to correct whatever incompatibility is occurring.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #18 - May 19th, 2006 at 11:05am

Brian wrote on May 18th, 2006 at 5:31pm:
amber5465,

I'm not trying to usurp NightOwl's assistance but when you have it sorted out could you address this post?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11479...

Brian,
I'm sorry but I don't even know what BartPE is and do not use GhostCast server.  -a.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - May 19th, 2006 at 4:28pm

amber5465,

BartPE is a Windows Preinstalled Environment where you can run many Windows applications from plugins. There are hundreds of apps that will run and Ghost 8.X is one of them. BartPE has support for multiple network cards and SATA drivers. I'd expect your USB HD to be seen.

To build a BartPE CD you need

Quote:
   1. The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
     Supported Windows versions are:
         * Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
         * Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
         * Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
         * Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
         * Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
   2. PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
   3. CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD.

To create a ReatogoXPE CD you need Win XP SP2. Discussed later.

Once the CD has been created it will run on any Windows version computer. Even Win 95 if you desire.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/intro/

Start from this page, download his zip file and open the "ghost8" folder from the plugin folder. Instructions are in ghost.htm. Don't worry, ver 8.3 works. Now build your CD (making sure the plugin is enabled). See if it works.

A far more sophisticated version is Reatogo XPE.

http://www.reatogo.de/

A little confusing at first but he walks you through the steps. Just follow blindly. Copy your ghost8 folder to the Reatogo plugin folder. Reatogo has a plugin for just about every NIC on the planet. The Mass Storage driver pack has problems but there are other ways to add SATA drivers and these steps are outlined in the setup.

In Reatogo, Ghost 8 appears under the NU2 menu.

Good luck. Any questions?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #20 - May 19th, 2006 at 4:46pm

Brian

Just to be clear--amber5465 has so far been referring to the DOS version of Ghost v8.3--and that will not work with either BartPE or Reatogo XPE.

One has to use the 32-bit Ghost v8.3 (should be *ghost32.exe* on a regular Ghost installation--and presumably that's part of the *Ghost Solution Suite v1.1* installation--as apposed to *ghost.exe* which will be the DOS version).

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - May 19th, 2006 at 5:11pm

Thanks NightOwl,

The ghost.htm (in the plugin) says..

Quote:
Install and activate ghost as described in the ghost installation manual.
Then copy the following files from programs files\symantec\ghost into the plugin\ghost8\files directory:
ghost32.exe, ghostexp.exe, ghostsrv.exe, ghostcdr.dll

When building make sure you click the plugin button and enable the ghost plugin. Otherwise you get a BartPE CD and no Ghost 8.X.

As NightOwl pointed out, this is not a DOS application.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #22 - May 19th, 2006 at 6:45pm

Brian

Quote:
BartPE is a Windows Preinstalled Environment where you can run many Windows applications from plugins. There are hundreds of apps that will run and Ghost 8.X is one of them. BartPE has support for multiple network cards and SATA drivers.
I'd expect your USB HD to be seen.

That is a good *alternative* to using the DOS version of Ghost if the USB DOS drivers do not successfully allow for access to the USB HDD!

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #23 - May 22nd, 2006 at 11:02am

NightOwl wrote on May 19th, 2006 at 11:00am:
When running through the steps of the Boot Wizard--do you have to respond to an *options page* where you have to check a box that says you want USB 1.x, or USB 2.0, or Firewire, etc. support--and whether to have drive letter assigned to external HDD's?

There is a screen that asks if you want to let Ghost override the BIOS for control and access of usb &/or firewire devices.  I have been selecting the option for letting Ghost override the BIOS for USB control.  There is nothing there about assigning a drive letter.

I'm suspecting that if you have been upgrading your Ghost installation over time without deleting the old installation--then those files may be there from a previous Ghost version and simple have been left behind as new versions have been *over-installed* that use the same sub-directories.)

We have only recently gotten into using Ghost.  This was our first yearly renewal.  I installed 8.0CE on a test PC when we first got it.  I installed Solution Suite 1.1 on my PC at my desk so it was not upgraded from a previous install.  Whatever files are on my PC are what comes with a fresh install of Solution Suite 1.1.

But, that brings up some other questions--can you set your boot disk with *Usbaspi.sys*, and *di1000dd.sys*  to boot simple to the DOS A:\ prompt and not automatically attempt to load Ghost 8.3 on boot?

Does *Usbaspi.sys* mount the Maxtor 3200?  Does *di1000dd.sys* assign it a drive letter?  From the DOS A:\ prompt can you change to that drive letter of the Maxtor 3200 and access files and directories on it (the file system would have to be FAT for that test)?

Yes, I can set the routine to not load Ghost 8.3 automatically.  Yes, usbaspi.sys does mount the Maxtor 3200 but di1000dd.sys does not assign a drive letter.  Also the Maxtor 3200 is formatted NTFS so no, I cannot switch to it and access its contents.

Now here's an interesting question--if you have *older* versions of Ghost, such as Ghost 7.5--or even the retail non-corporate Ghost 2003 version (i.e. a version that does not have built-in USB support and therefore will not have *driver* conflicts with the USB DOS drivers)--can you load those versions of Ghost with the above USB DOS drivers and successfully access the Maxtor 3200 HDD?

I only have versions 8.0CE and Solution Suite 1.1, nothing older.
Sad

You should probably submit a *hardware/software* incompatibility report to Symantec Support--the only way Ghost 8.3 will be made to work correctly with that Maxtor 3200 is if Symantec tests that particular hardware, and updates their built-in USB software support for that USB HDD to correct whatever incompatibility is occurring.

I will definitely submit an incompatibility report.  I am also going to attempt the BartPE instructions from Brian and see how that goes.  A thousand thank yous again for all your assistance.
-a.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #24 - May 22nd, 2006 at 12:26pm

amber5465

Quote:
Yes, usbaspi.sys does mount the Maxtor 3200 but di1000dd.sys does not assign a drive letter.  Also the Maxtor 3200 is formatted NTFS

Well, if your Maxtor 3200 is formatted NTFS, then you will not get a drive letter assigned!  Only get a drive letter assigned to partitions that DOS can *see*--and DOS does not *see* NTFS partitions!

But(!!!!) ... DOS Ghost *does* see NTFS partitions--but they show up in the DOS Ghost GUI designated as a *drive#:partition#*--so it may be *3:1* if the USB drive is seen as the third HDD and has one partition, etc.

Does the USB HDD show up as a source or destination HDD with that designation?

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #25 - May 22nd, 2006 at 12:55pm

NightOwl wrote on May 22nd, 2006 at 12:26pm:
But(!!!!) ... DOS Ghost *does* see NTFS partitions--but they show up in the DOS Ghost GUI designated as a *drive#:partition#*--so it may be *3:1* if the USB drive is seen as the third HDD and has one partition, etc.

Does the USB HDD show up as a source or destination HDD with that designation?

??? I don't think I understand the question.  The whole issue is that Ghost doesn't see this drive.  ??? 

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #26 - May 22nd, 2006 at 1:58pm

amber5465

What I'm saying is that any drive or partition that is formatted NTFS will not show up in DOS, or be listed in the Ghost interface as a *drive letter* similar to what you would see in Windows--because DOS can not *see* NTFS partitions--so can't assign a drive letter.

But in Ghost's DOS interface, NTFS partitions will be seen, but as *drive#:partition#* (for example *4:2*) designations instead of drive letters--so I'm asking if the USB HDD is being seen, but you are not looking for the correct way that it's going to be listed?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #27 - May 22nd, 2006 at 2:32pm

NightOwl wrote on May 22nd, 2006 at 1:58pm:
"... But in Ghost's DOS interface, NTFS partitions will be seen, but as *drive#:partition#* (for example *4:2*) designations instead of drive letters--so I'm asking if the USB HDD is being seen, but you are not looking for the correct way that it's going to be listed?..."

To wit:

For the Dell Dimension 8300 displayed at the right in the illustration above, the first Windows XP FAT32 partition encountered is
logical 'Drive G:'
which Ghost 2003 in turn redesignates
logical 'Drive C:'
.  All the other logical drives are NTFS file system format and have numeric designations.

Likewise, for the Dell Dimension 8100 displayed at the left, the first Windows XP FAT32 partition encountered is
logical 'Drive O:'
which Ghost 2003 in turn redesignates
logical 'Drive C:'
.  Again, all the other logical drives are NTFS file system format and have numeric designations.

Using Ghost 8.2 in a Preinstalled Environment reveals designations similar to - but not exactly like - Ghost2003.

<<< Norton Ghost 2003  (DOS)>>>       <<< Norton Ghost 8.2  (BartPE-XPE)>>>
  • 1:1 [Boot8100] NTFS Drive >           <  C: 3:1 [Boot8100] NTFS Drive
  • 1:2 [F_Drive] NTFS Drive   >           <   F: 3:2 [F_Drive] NTFS Drive
  • 2:1 [H_Drive] NTFS Drive   >           <   D: 1:1 [H_Drive] NTFS Drive
  • D: [G_DRIVE] Local Drive   >           <   G: 3:3 [G_DRIVE] FAT Drive
  • E: [I_DRIVE] Local Drive    >           <   H: 1:2 [I_DRIVE] FAT Drive
  • F: [FAT32_J] Local Drive   >           <   E: 4:1 [FAT32_J] FAT Drive
EP
Cry

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #28 - May 22nd, 2006 at 2:51pm

No, it is not there.  I understand the numeric labeling convention.  Alongside the numerical designation it will also display the file volume label in brackets, i.e. 3:1 [AMBER120] or 4:1 [SCOTT80]. We gave them our names so we could easily tell which one was which if both were connected to a machine.  I'm green but not quite that bad. Wink

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #29 - May 22nd, 2006 at 3:20pm

amber5465

Well, it was a thought when you mentioned the USB HDD being formatted NTFS.

I guess if you do not have older versions of Ghost to test to see if the Panasonic USB DOS drivers will work, then it looks like you're stuck with the BartPE option and/or hoping Symantec will respond to a hardware/software incompatibility issue.

Keep us posted on your progress.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print