Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost Solution Suite v1.1 and Maxtor PS3200 (Read 41701 times)
amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Ghost Solution Suite v1.1 and Maxtor PS3200
May 16th, 2006 at 3:16pm

I'm stuck in a software says its hardware and hardware says its software loop.  I support 210 PCs for a local government agency.  I have all my images on a Maxtor One-Touch II external usb hard drive and replicated on another one for redundancy.  However I'm outgrowing the 120GB capacity SO we purchased a 300GB Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 and Ghost does not see it.  I spent an hour on the phone with Symantec Ghost support and he finally said I needed a driver from Maxtor.  Maxtor says the drive is plug and play and the operating system provides the driver.  I'm booting to a CD and running Ghost from there so all drivers in use have to be on boot CD.  Any suggestions?  All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!  Amber

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost Solution Suite v1.1 and Maxtor PS3200
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2006 at 3:32pm

amber5465,

I haven't used Ghost Solution Suite v1.1 and I'd be interested to know which Ghost is used. Ghost 8.* or LiveState Recovery? If it's the latter we may have a quick solution for you.

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2006 at 8:09am

It is 8.3.  Sad

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2006 at 9:09am

amber5465

Quote:
It is 8.3.

Quote:
I'm booting to a CD and running Ghost from there so all drivers in use have to be on boot CD.

So, this is the DOS version of Ghost 8.x (and not the 32-bit Ghost version that runs under a Windows OS environment), and you are using a boot CD.

The CD boots to the DOS Ghost GUI, and it sees your 120 GB Maxtor One-Touch II, but not your 300 GB Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 (which appears to be a USB 2.0 external HDD).

1.  How are you hooking up your USB HDD's--directly from the system motherboard and/or USB add-on card--or through a USB Hub of any type?

2.  Your 300 GB Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 shows up in Windows without any problems?

3.  Are there other USB devices hooked up at the same time?

4.  Will other USB external HDD's show up okay?

Quote:
I spent an hour on the phone with Symantec Ghost support and he finally said I needed a driver from Maxtor.

Hmmm....that's not the DOS Ghost 8.x version I have seen!  I think the version I saw in action was DOS Ghost 8.1, and it had USB drivers *built-in* to the Ghost *.exe* program--no external DOS USB drivers where loaded--and it mounted USB HDD's even through a Hub as well as directly from the USB controller.

Quote:
Maxtor says the drive is plug and play and the operating system provides the driver.

Hmmm....these guys are *bad*--they should know that if booting to DOS--*plug and play* does not apply and the Windows OS is not even loaded--so the OS can not be providing the driver!

5.  If you or someone else there are able to work with customizing DOS boot floppys and bootable CD's, you could try a non-Ghost DOS USB driver to see if that offers a *work-around* to the problem:  
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

DOS Ghost 8.x will not fit on a single boot floppy--the *ghost.exe* is too big to fit along with the boot files--so, you create the boot disk with the DOS boot files and drivers, and place *ghost.exe* on a second separate floppy.

After testing with floppys, you can put the *custom* boot files on a bootable CD:  
Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

And because Ghost 8.x will not fit in a standard 1.44 MB boot sector on a bootable CD, you need to place it on the data portion of the CD:  
Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD

Questions?  Report back with your progress!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2006 at 10:40am

So, this is the DOS version of Ghost 8.x (and not the 32-bit Ghost version that runs under a Windows OS environment), and you are using a boot CD.
--  Yes

The CD boots to the DOS Ghost GUI, and it sees your 120 GB Maxtor One-Touch II, but not your 300 GB Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 (which appears to be a USB 2.0 external HDD).   
--  Yes

1.  How are you hooking up your USB HDD's--directly from the system motherboard and/or USB add-on card--or through a USB Hub of any type?
At first I was using a port on the front of the case which is a hub for all intents and purposes.  Then I tried a port on the back (direct to the motherboard).  No joy on either.

2.  Your 300 GB Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 shows up in Windows without any problems?
--  Yes

3.  Are there other USB devices hooked up at the same time?
There was a usb mouse but I switched to a PS2 mouse just in case the usb one might be interfering. Again, no joy on either. Sad

4.  Will other USB external HDD's show up okay?
--  Yes

Quote:I spent an hour on the phone with Symantec Ghost support and he finally said I needed a driver from Maxtor. 

Hmmm....that's not the DOS Ghost 8.x version I have seen!  I think the version I saw in action was DOS Ghost 8.1, and it had USB drivers *built-in* to the Ghost *.exe* program--no external DOS USB drivers where loaded--and it mounted USB HDD's even through a Hub as well as directly from the USB controller.

The Symantec support rep told me to rename aspiehci.sys to aspiehci.old, then drop in the driver from Maxtor to the following folder:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\Common
Of course I didn't do this b/c I didn't get anything from Maxtor.

Quote:Maxtor says the drive is plug and play and the operating system provides the driver. 

Hmmm....these guys are *bad*--they should know that if booting to DOS--*plug and play* does not apply and the Windows OS is not even loaded--so the OS can not be providing the driver!

Exactly!  I didn't get anywhere with them.

Thanks so much for the suggestions in step 5.  I'll get to work on them and let you know how that goes.  I'm so glad I found this forum!

-Amber.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2006 at 12:40pm

amber5465

Quote:
The Symantec support rep told me to rename aspiehci.sys to aspiehci.old, then drop in the driver from Maxtor to the following folder:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\Common
Of course I didn't do this b/c I didn't get anything from Maxtor.

Interesting!--I have a question--does *Ghost Solution Suite v1.1* create a
bootable CD
for you using a Ghost Boot Disk Wizard? 

The retail consumer Ghost 2003 will only create bootable floppy disks, and not a bootable CD using it's Ghost Boot Disk Wizard--but, when creating an image to optical media, Ghost 2003 will create a bootable optical disc if you elect to have it do that.

As I said, the DOS Ghost 8.? that I saw had USB support built-in--and the program mentioned above, *aspiehci.sys*, is the DOS USB driver for USB 2.0 that mounts a USB 2.0 HDD in DOS--that's used by Ghost 2003, which is the retail consumer version of the corporate Ghost 7.5.  Ghost 2003 does not have built-in USB 2.0 support, so the *aspiehci.sys* DOS driver has to be loaded during boot.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2006 at 1:01pm

Quote: Interesting!--I have a question--does *Ghost Solution Suite v1.1* create a bootable CD for you using a Ghost Boot Disk Wizard?   
The boot disk wizard gives the option to create an iso image file then you burn that to CD and the disk is bootable.  I'm guessing that when the wizard creates the .iso file it looks in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\Common directory for something since the rep told me to put whatever file I got from Maxtor there.  He said to put the new file in that directory then have the boot disk wizard recreate the .iso file and then burn a new cd.  I tried putting the usbaspi.sys and di1000dd.sys files [ referenced in "A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!"] in that directory then recreating the boot CD but that did not work.  I probably did something wrong or don't understand the process fully enough.  I'm going to try the whole process in that article starting with the floppies and see if that works.
Thanks again,
Amber

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2006 at 1:05pm

Also just a point of interest. . . Solution Suite 1.1 uses ghost.exe ver 8.3.  This is the latest version we received when we renewed our corporate maintenance in February '06.
-a.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2006 at 2:34pm

amber5465

Quote:
I tried putting the usbaspi.sys and di1000dd.sys files [ referenced in "A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!"] in that directory then recreating the boot CD but that did not work.  I probably did something wrong or don't understand the process fully enough.

You might try this:

1.  Download the most recent Panasonic USB DOS driver(*Usbaspi.sys*),: 
v2.20
, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

After clicking on the downloaded *.exe* file which extracts the enclosed files, you will find the *Usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* subdirectory.

2.  Rename the Ghost file *aspiehci.sys* to *aspiehci.old*, and then rename *Usbaspi.sys* to *aspiehci.sys* and place it in the Ghost subdirectory *C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\Common*.

3.  Rename the Ghost file *guest.exe* in the Ghost subdirectory *C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\Common* to *guest.old*.

4.  Download the *di1000dd.sys* DOS USB driver:

The *di1000dd.sys* file is also referred to at the *Motto Hairu USB Driver*, and can be found in this download from
Rad's download page
usb-dos.zip

After you un-zip the above file, there will be another zipped file--*MHAIRUDO.ZIP*--after un-zipping this file--you will find the *di1000dd.sys* there.  (Warning--there is another *USBASPI.SYS* file in the same zipped file as the *di1000dd.sys*--but, that is not the one you want to use!--it's the version 1.xx and not the version 2.xx.)

Rename *di1000dd.sys* to *guest.exe*, and place it in the *C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\Common* subdirectory.

5.  Now try re-creating the boot iso and re-burn the boot CD (always recommend a RW-CD when doing test burns  Wink )--does that work?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2006 at 4:26pm

Hey - is this a great forum - or what !!!
EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2006 at 12:50am

NightOwl rocks.

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2006 at 8:54am

Yes!  This is a great forum and NightOwl does in fact totally rock!  Grin Thanks so much for all your assistance. 
Let's see. . . where am I?  Yesterday the last thing I did was put the new 2.20 ver of Usbaspi.sys into the Ghost\template\common directory renamed as aspiehci.sys and di1000dd.sys renamed as guest.exe  --  ran boot disk wizard again to create new .iso file and burned that to CD.  Unfortunately,  Cry Ghost still does not see the Maxtor 3200.  I tried this same boot CD with the One-Touch II connected and Ghost sees that drive just fine.  I changed USB ports then I changed PCs (from Gateway E4000 to Gateway E4100).  Nothing. Boo hoo hoo.  What now?  Any hope?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2006 at 9:32am

amber5465

Did all the boot files load okay?  I just tried my own suggestion using Ghost 2003--and discovered that the *autoexec.bat* and the *config.sys* files that the Ghost Boot Wizard creates are not able to boot those non-Ghost USB DOS files correctly.

I'm using a floppy boot disk, being as Ghost 2003 does not offer the option to create an *.iso* file.  Here's the modifications I had to make to get things to boot:

[config.sys]

Rem  DEVICE = usb\aspiehci.sys
/int /all

DEVICE = usb\aspiehci.sys
/v

Device = guest.exe

LASTDRIVE = Z

I *rem'd* out the original command line for *aspiehci.sys* created by the Boot Wizard so the line would not execute with the switches at the end (in red)--I got an error during boot saying the switch option was *invalid*).  I re-entered the line without the switches in red, but added the */v* switch which is for *verbose* so it shows more detail when it's loading during boot.

And added the line in yellow--according to the original article on the Panasonic driver--both DOS USB drivers are supposed to be loaded in *config.sys*.

[autoexec.bat]

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
rem  GUEST.EXE

MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE

Just *rem'd* out the *guest.exe* line--because it's being loaded in *config.sys*.

Now the above worked--everything loaded fine and both my USB HDD's thru a USB Hub showed up in Ghost and I had access.

When using the Ghost Boot Wizard in *Ghost Solution Suite v1.1*, does it show a summary of what it is going to create just before you tell it to proceed?  What are the *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* command lines?  Did it boot without any error messages?

Editing the *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys* on the floppy disk is easy after the Boot Wizard creates it--doing it on the *.iso* will be more complicated--but, I think doable--but, I will not have time to test the process out until later tonight or tomorrow.

Just creating a *custom boot CD* as mentioned above may be easier than trying to get the Ghost Boot Wizard to do it for you: 
Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive
and
Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD

IP Logged

amber5465
Dude

Help me Obiwan, you're
my only hope!

Sunny Central Florida

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2006 at 4:08pm

Let's see if I can coherently explain the steps I've taken and the results of those attempts.

1.  Put Usbaspi.sys into the Ghost\template\common directory renamed as aspiehci.sys and di1000dd.sys renamed as guest.exe  --  ran boot disk wizard again to create new .iso file and burned that to CD.  --  PC boots without errors and Ghost will run but it doesn't see the Maxtor 3200 drive.  Before creating the iso file the boot disk wizard does display the contents of autoexec.bat and config.sys but there is no way to edit them.  They do not call aspiehci.sys or guest.exe so the handy dandy drivers are not getting loaded so I'm back to square one.

2.  Used boot disk wizard to create boot floppy set.  Edited config.sys to include Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v & Device=di1000dd.sys statements in =[common] section.  Added usbaspi.sys and di1000dd.sys files to floppy #1 of 2.  PC booted without errors AND usbaspi.sys saw the Maxtor 3200.  Ghost would not run.  It made it to the blue background with gray box in foreground then hung. 

3.  Used instructions in article *A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More* to create boot floppy.  Put ghost.exe on separate floppy.  PC booted without errors and usbaspi.sys saw the Maxtor 3200.  Again Ghost hung.

That is it for me today.  Will *talk* to you all again tomorrow.  Smiley

-a.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - May 18th, 2006 at 4:38pm

amber5465 wrote on May 16th, 2006 at 3:16pm:
"... However I'm outgrowing the 120GB capacity SO we purchased a 300GB Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 and Ghost does not see it...."

Hmm - 120GB capacity is shy of the
illusory 137GB threshold
, but 300GB well exceeds it.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print