Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost on 1 floppy? (Read 4549 times)
kim
Ex Member

Ghost on 1 floppy?
May 21st, 2006 at 9:32am

Hi
Sorry probably been asked a million times! (but couldn't find it specifically)
Before creating an image from DOS boot, Ghost asks "do you want to  add a ghost floppy...?"
Well, years ago I made the best Ghost2003 boot floppy ever (in my opinion) it uses graphics (using that "box" software stuff") and gives user questions (choices) all the way along, AND includes Ghost.exe all on one floppy.
BUT this new version of ghost is just too big, and therefore I require two floppies, but the image (when creating, as before) only asks for one floppy.
Therefore how do I put Ghost.exe (new one) plus small boot files on one floppy. (I suppose it's impossible)
Sorry question2: if I use ghost (new version Dos related) to create an image, can I then use Ghost2003 to restore it (ie using my old "single" boot disk) Or do I just continue using Ghost2003 and scrap all this.
Kim

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost on 1 floppy?
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2006 at 10:19am

kim

Need some clarification:

Quote:
BUT this
new version
of ghost is just too big, and therefore I require two floppies,

What *new* version of Ghost would you be referring to?

Quote:
Before creating an image from DOS boot, Ghost asks "do you want to  add a ghost floppy...?"

Are you talking about saving an image to optical media, and Ghost is asking if you want to make it *bootable*--by inserting a boot floppy disk for it to read and write the contents to the boot sector of the optical media?

Quote:
but the image (when creating, as before) only asks for one floppy

This is standard operating procedure for Ghost 2003--it only uses the 1.44 MB standard boot sector size (floppy disk size) for creating the optical media boot sector.

So, if the boot floppy--after you add all the DOS drivers--will not hold *ghost.exe* too, then you have to start *ghost.exe* with the command line:  *ghost.exe -ghostoncd*.

This will place a copy of *ghost.exe* on the data portion of the optical disc in the root directory along with whatever Ghost image you are saving to the optical media.  Your boot files will have to load DOS optical drivers that assign a drive letter to your optical drive so you can access that *ghost.exe*.

But, I don't know what *new* version you are using, so I don't know if we're talking about the same issue(s)!

Quote:
Sorry question2: if I use ghost (new version Dos related) to create an image, can I then use Ghost2003 to restore it (ie using my old "single" boot disk)

Not all versions of Ghost create files that are compatible with each other--need to know which version you are working with!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

kim
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2006 at 7:59am

Because I was unaware of ghost.exe -ghostoncd, I need to go away and fully test this scenario. Although I am concerned about "assigning" a drive letter to load ghost from a CD/DVD image, as this may infringe on 1:2 1:3 and so forth partitions (unless this drive letter can be Z (which I suppose it can)
Before I go, (ending this message, sorry for not clearly stating versions) can you please direct me to information on where to place ghost.exe on hdd, brief batch file info, and how does extraction of ghost.exe from an image and then restore from same image work.
I would also be interested in downloading someone's (best preferred  batch

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2006 at 10:08am

kim

Quote:
Before I go, (ending this message, sorry for not clearly stating versions) can you please direct me to information ...

Unless you can answer my questions--it will be impossible to answer yours--I can only guess as to if we are talking about *apples 'n oranges*!

Quote:
can you please direct me to information on where to place ghost.exe on hdd, brief batch file info, and how does extraction of ghost.exe from an image and then restore from same image work.

I would recommend starting separate forum threads for each of the individual questions--with details of what you are trying to accomplish, and why, and what you have already tried.....

Quote:
I would also be interested in downloading someone's (best preferred  batch

*batch* files are, by their very nature, *customized* files specific to a given system's setup that takes into account the various hardware components--and then lays out a *script* of what you want the Ghost program to do--step-by-step--
so, the answer is a question
--what do you want a *batch* file to do for you?

Again, it would be best to start a separate thread with specific details of what you are trying to do, what you have tried for your specific situation, and what's working/not working.....

And, possibly review this:  
How to ask good questions!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print