Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do you really need to be----- (Read 10115 times)
Smokin Joe
Dude

Nothing so constant as
change.

Do you really need to be-----
May 29th, 2006 at 11:08am

A computer "Geek", to figure out how to make Norton Ghost work?? I sure wish I had known this before purchasing. Not happy wirh it! I don't really know if I could recover anything with it, if I had troubles.
The moderators and posts on this site, have been helpful but I guess I am too old and such a dummy I may  get it to working in six months. Maybe!!!
I guess I should have had a clue, when it came with a 3/8" thick "Users Guide"!

Smoke

Smoke

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Do you really need to be-----
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2006 at 11:15am

Smokin Joe, Ghost 10 is definitely not designed for a 'computer geek' (in contrast to Ghost 2003, which is considerably less user-friendly).

I do not mean to offend, but have you actually read the Norton Ghost 10 User's Guide?  If not, grab a cup of your favorite beverage, relax, and take a read.  Once you understand some of the unique verbiage of the product, you'll almost certainly agree that the product is quite straightforward.

Please do post any questions you may have.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Smokin Joe
Dude

Nothing so constant as
change.

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2006 at 2:13pm

Pleonasm, I am not offended in anyway. Thanks for your reply.
Yes I have read the "User Guide", even the parts that I have no idea what they are talking about, but more so, the items that i am having problems with. Here is my problem of the day:
The "Windows"Norton Ghost Backups screen of my external HD shows this for yesterday--5/30/06
3:33am-20,008KB- Symantec Image File
6:10PM-4,194,176KB-   "          "        "
6:16PM-4,194,176KB    "          "        "
6:18PM-4,194,176KB    "          "        "
6:18PM-1,797,888KB    "          "        "
7:00PM-10,496KB        "          "        "

I am not even sure the computer was on at 3:33AM but I could have booted it up that early.
From every thing I can tell, I have it set to only make two maximum, backups a day??
Of course it has backups for the days back to 5/24 but nothing like the 30th.. If that keeps up I will be out of HD space in a few weeks or days? Can I just right click the ones I think I don't need and delete them?

Well that is about three questions in one but I sure have more questions than answers!

Undecided  Embarrassed

Smoke

Smoke

IP Logged

Smokin Joe
Dude

Nothing so constant as
change.

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 5:31am

Pleonasm, Have I offended you or insulted your intelligence ? Maybe I just am lost in the shuffle?

Just forget my previous post, as I have reformatted the external drive to get rid of all of the unneeded "Image Points". I did have it plugged in to a USB socket that was full of lint and not making good contact, I guess? I couldn't reformat before cleaning the USB.

Figuring everything was solved, I proceeded to make a new full image but got an error message which I did not write down, regretablly. At this point I am considering uninstalling Ghost 10 and reinstalling. Your thoughts, if you see this.

Smoke

Smoke

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Too many automatic recovery points in Ghost 10
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 7:24am

I am not nearly as experienced with Ghost as Pleonasm, but my thoughts are that it would be extremly helpful to have that error message.  Is there any way you could reproduce it?

Also, one thing you may want to keep in mind is that your post may have been overlooked by someone who knows the answer to your question due to the vague subject line.  It is very important to have specific subject lines to draw in people who are knowledgable on that topic.

IP Logged

Smokin Joe
Dude

Nothing so constant as
change.

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 8:24am

MrMagoo, Thanks for the reply. I was able to reproduce the error message again. I went through  four screens in this order--
1-Norton Ghost
2-Back Up Now
3-Progress and Preformance - 0%
4- Norton Ghost, that reads as follows;

X Cannot creat recovery points for job: Complete System Backup.
(Under "Hide Details <<")
-Error CB8F17B7: Cannot creat recovery points for job: Complete System Backup
--Errors exist.
---The VSS Provider vetoed the operation. See the application event log.
----Unable to write to file.
-----Error EBAB0F1: The system cannot the fiile specified.
------Error EBAB03F1: The system cannot find the file specified.

Smoke

Smoke

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 6:01pm

Like I mentioned, I am not an expert on Ghost, but the error message keeps mentioning a recovery point.  I assume this is on Windows XP, and it makes me wonder if there is any issue with the System Restore.  Could you check to make sure your System Restore is running?

IP Logged

Smokin Joe
Dude

Nothing so constant as
change.

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 7:47pm

MrMagoo wrote on Jun 7th, 2006 at 6:01pm:
Like I mentioned, I am not an expert on Ghost, but the error message keeps mentioning a recovery point.  I assume this is on Windows XP, and it makes me wonder if there is any issue with the System Restore.  Could you check to make sure your System Restore is running?

MrMagoo,  It will run but The System Restore has not worked for many months on this computer. All of the restore points are there but I get a message that it can not restore, for any point I chose. That is one of the reasons I purchased the external HD and Norton Ghost 10. Please don't tell me I am going to have to fool with Microsoft to make the Ghost and HD work, unless you want to see an old man cry!!!

Smoke

Smoke

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 3:23am

To me, the error message suggests that Ghost does not want to run the backup because it failed to set a Windows recovery point.  I could be wrong.  I'm still hoping that someone with more Ghost experience will jump in here.  If we don't get a response in a day or two we may want to consider reposting the topic with a better subject.  In the meantime, I noticed this line of your error message:

---The VSS Provider vetoed the operation. See the application event log.

Can you find the application event log and post the most recent entries?  There is probably a way to access it from the program, although I am unsure how.

IP Logged

Smokin Joe
Dude

Nothing so constant as
change.

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 9:32am

MrMagoo I do thank you. The problem is solved. I think it all stemmed from a USB port not being recognized by the external HD. I "swapped" USB ports with my printer and everything works perfect, printer included?? Go figure!!

Smoke

Smoke

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 9:40am

Smokin Joe

Congratulations--you have officially qualified for designation as *Computer Geek--Level I*  Wink !

Keep up the good work and you'll move up in the ranks--and folks here will be glad to try 'n help!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print