Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Save & Restore (Read 36359 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Norton Save & Restore
Jun 3rd, 2006 at 9:39pm

was thinking about updating the rad ghost guide to discuss norton save & restore. what do we know about it?

is it really "ghost 11" like mentioned here by Ghost4me?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11490...

is it ghost based?

is it based on drive image, like ghost 9 & 10?

what should i say?

i have no experience with it. is it any good?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Norton Save & Restore
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 10:53pm

Here's the 3 links copied from the FAQ section:

Norton Save & Restore Topics:

Overview, information and features

Norton Save & Restore User Guide

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11410...

I have Norton Save & Restore in use at one location.  The main feature/difference between Norton S&R and Ghost 10 is that S&R added the feature to backup files/folders as well as take full image backups.

Quote:
is it ghost based?

Yes, it's Ghost 10 plus file/folder backup capability.

Quote:
is it based on drive image, like ghost 9 & 10?

Yes.

However, I would say that Norton Save and Restore is more of a "marketing" renaming (just my opinion here).  If you review the press releases and marketing and features, you will see they are appealing to the masses with the revised name, and specifically hyping the saving of documents, pictures, files.

The other aspect of it (my opinion) is that Symantec appears to have taken about a 3 step evolution of the product line:
1. Ghost 2003 and previous DOS versions imaging.
2. Ghost 9, 10 imaging using XP.
3. Norton Save & Restore, emphasizing Recovery Points rather than image backup and restore.  You can almost read into this they incorporated the Norton GoBack software, which I think is discontinued now.

Finally, the file/folder backup capability is most likely partially in response to Acronis's True Image 9.1 which has that, as well as all the "one touch" backup buttons on external usb hard drives.  Symantec I believe has tried to create a "one touch Save and Restore" product capability for those that want that.

Conclusion:  Norton Save & Restore is a product name that the general public will likely recognize (as opposed to Ghost) the purpose of.  Call it dumbing-down if you want.  That's the marketing.

For us techie-types here, if you disregard the file/folder backup capability, then you have Ghost 11, which is the way I use it.

Quote:
is it any good?

It works as good as Ghost 10.0.  You can define separate backups to separate targets that are just certain data folders, or all files, such as *.doc files, so it is fairly powerful in terms of data file strategy backup.

Considering that most pc user's don't backup anything, it is probably a good product for that.  Yet it remains faithful to the Ghost 10 imaging audience.

(All other opinions gladly solicited.)

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 12:01am

nice. thanks for the response.

would you say it is then *better* than ghost 10? .. logically speaking?

IP Logged

bigblu91
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 12:19am

I used the SNR disk to boot from a few days ago and restored an image created with I believe Ghost 9. It worked wonderfully.

I purchased it because of the price (FAR) and because it says it can backup individual files and folders. I haven't used it yet though for that but did use it to backup an entire drive.

I typed with Norton Symantec "techs"(yeah right) and they said it was the successor to Ghost. I spoke with the "techs" at the 800 number that was on the SNR manual which is the same as the 800 number on the 2 Ghost manuals I have and they say it is the successor to Ghost.

They deny though that  there is a subscription tied to it which concerns me somewhat since it plainly shows there is an expiring subscription tied to it after you register it. What exactly happens after the sub. runs out is a mystery to me at this point but I'm not going to let it bother me. What bothers me more is that the supposed "techs" at the Ghost department say they know nothing about it and when I show it to them in a screenshot AND while they're remotely connected to my PC their response is to run some utility that is built in to Ghost to send them info on my PC. Who should know better what a program does (adding a sub.) than the people that supposedly wrote it? You would think anyway.

First off, I was plainly talking about SNR and not Ghost so why they instucted me to look for the utility in the Ghost dir. irks me. The utility they spoke of is included with SNR also but the files it creates isn't readable by me so I'm not about to send that info to them without knowing what it says.

To finish, it looks to me to be the newest version in the Ghost series. It worked for me restoring an image from a previous Ghost version and booting from the SNR cd. The terminology and interface is slightly different as Ghost4me stated but it woked for me as Ghost has in the past. I haven't used Ghost as much as you guys have so I'm not a Ghost geek yet so I don't know all the little differences.

I'll shut up now Tongue

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 8:00am

Rad wrote on Jun 4th, 2006 at 12:01am:
nice. thanks for the response.
would you say it is then *better* than ghost 10? .. logically speaking?

Yes.  Logically and functionally it contains a file backup methodology as well as a drive image-backup recovery solution.

I've seen very few postings or comments on it on any forums yet.  (Thanks bigblu91 for yours!)

It will be interesting to see what Symantec does in October which is the month they usually release all their new versions.  Will they release a Norton Save & Restore 2.0 or will they try and bundle S&R with Norton Internet Security etc.?

As bigblu91 points out, the biggest weakness may well be Symantec's own (lack of) tech support!  I hope they get their act together.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 9:39am

From the website:

* Safeguards photos and important files

* Schedules automatic backups

* Restores from system failures

* Automatically monitors and optimizes backup disk space.

* Encrypts backups to help keep them secure

* Built on Norton™ Ghost technology

* For Windows® XP Home/ XP Pro/XP Media Center Edition

thorin

IP Logged

bigblu91
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 1:45pm

One thing I left out and may not be stressed enough yet, it doesn't come with Ghost 2003 so it only works with XP based OS's.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 6:55pm

Official web site linkage:

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=is&pvid=nsr

Features:

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/features.jsp?pcid=is&pvid=nsr

Key Features

Offers all the power of Symantec's Norton Ghost™ technology, plus faster ways to back up files.

Backs up everything on your computer—digital photos, family videos, key financial records, essential computer system files, and other data—in one easy step.

Recovers your system and data even when you can't restart your operating system.

Makes incremental backups to maximize space and save time.

Makes backups on the fly, without restarting your system.

Backs up to almost any media, including CDR/RW and DVD+-R/RW drives, USB and FireWire® (IEEE 1394) external storage devices, and Iomega® Zip® and Jaz® drives.

One-step setup wizard automatically creates an initial backup schedule based on your computer's storage devices and system settings.

Automatically monitors and optimizes backup disk space.

Triggers backups on key events, such as new program installations or user logins.

Encrypts backups to help keep them secure.

New Features
(compared to Norton Ghost 10.0)

File and folder back up lets you choose specific files and folders to save, rather than an entire drive.

Protects all files of a certain type (such as photos or documents) by finding and backing up the exact file types you indicate.

Norton Protection Center console integration allows you to manage your Norton security applications from a single easy-to-use interface.

Outbreak Alert trigger automatically initiates a back up when Norton Internet Security 2006 is notified about a virus or worm outbreak. (Norton Internet Security 2006 sold separately.)

User guide
:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/products/nsr/nsr_1/manuals.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print