Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 Restore Problem with SATA Hard Dr (Read 11613 times)
dellcrash2

Ghost 9 Restore Problem with SATA Hard Dr
Jun 4th, 2006 at 12:47pm

I have Norton Ghost 9.0 with the original CD.  On my PC I have ran live update and the windows based Ghost 9.0 shows version 9.0.2.3981

I am using a Dell Dimension 8400 PC with Windows XP, and a 160 GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive.

I tried to use my Norton Ghost 9.0 CD in order to restore an image file.  Norton found the image on a USB Hard Drive but when I got to the screen where I was asked to select which drive I wanted to restore the image on (destination drive), the PC’s 160 GB SATA Hard Drive was not listed.  Thus, Norton didn't recognize the PC’s SATA drive.

I perform hours of research on how to work around this issue.  Many suggestions were made to install the SATA drivers using the F6 option during boot up with the Norton Ghost CD.  I tried getting the Dell Dimension 8400 PC SATA drivers from Dell, however, thus far, the drivers appears to be with the motherboard.  Dell said it is an Intel proprietary mother board made for Dell. 

Alternately, in an attempt to restore the image, I downloaded and installed a trail version of Norton Ghost 10.0.  However, I was not able to create and or use Ghost 10.0 in my CD to restore the image from made from ghost 9.0

Norton Ghost must recognize this known problem and have one or multiple solutions.  Please Help.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 9 Restore Problem with SATA Hard Dr
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 2:49pm

dellcrash2

Quote:
I tried getting the Dell Dimension 8400 PC SATA drivers from Dell, however, thus far, the drivers appears to be with the motherboard.

Does this help?

Drivers and Downloads

Click on the *Serial ATA* item, then the *Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition* link, and then on the *Driver* link:  *Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition, v.4.5.0.6515,
A01
Smiley  (--emphasis added at approx 6:40 pm)

According to the *Installation Instructions*, this is the driver you put on the floppy to add to the boot sequence using the *F6* feature.

Let us know if this helps!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 3:54pm

dellcrash2,

I have a Dell 8400 too. Like you, the Ghost 9 CD doesn't have SATA drivers for our controller. The Ghost 10 CD does.

If you get keen, you can eventually add those drivers to your Ghost 9 CD so that you don't need to use a floppy. The following applies to Ghost 9 and 10.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Full_Rad_Board;action=display;nu...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11131...

Also, the actual driver to choose from the floppy is SATA AHCI Desktop.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11491...

IP Logged

dellcrash2

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 6:22pm

6/4/2006 7:15:29 PM

Brian & NightOwl,

Thanks for the replies.  No success yet!  Here is more info and current status:

In order to identify the mother board chipset, I previously downloaded Intel® Chipset Identification Utility Chipset ID Utility [CHIPUTIL.EXE] (156KB) for the Intel web site.

The program provided me the following info:

Intel® 925X Express Chipset Family
Memory Controller   829925X
I/O Controller Intel® 82801FR I/O controller Hub (ICH6R)
Integrated Graphics   This chipset does not contain integrated graphics

With this info, I went back to the site and downloaded     Floppy Configuration Utility - Intel® Matrix Storage Manager [F6FLPY32.ZIP]  (264KB). 

This is the same file you reference in your Posts: 1345   

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/download.aspx?url=/1 0611/eng/f6flpy32_57.zip&DwnldId=10611&ProductID=2115&lang=eng

Unzip and self extract to a floppy.

PS    After pressing F6 you will see a list of 4 to 5 drivers. You only need to load one. It's SATA AHCI Desktop.

I made the floppy and tried it. When I eventually got to the F6 option screen, I had the following choices:

Intel ® ESB2 SATA RAID  Controller (Server ESB2)

Intel ® ESB2 SATA AHCI  Controller (Server ESB2)

Intel ® 82801GHM SATA RAID  Controller (Mobile ICH7MR/DH)

Intel ® 8280GR/GH SATA RAID  Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)

I tried the last three choices on the menu without any success in recognizing the SATA Drive. ??????.

I look into the info recommended by NightOwl at Dell,s Web site.  The information and file listed below is available.  However, how can I get the correct files from the 15 MB file to a floppy?

Release Title:
Serial ATA: Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Multi Language, Multi System, v.4.5.0.6515, A08

Release Date: 9/15/2004

R82884.EXE
15 MB
36.8 min
Hard-Drive

Please continue to work with me to solve this problem.  Looking forward to your help.

Note: I am trying to restore a ghost 9 image file from a USB hard drive to replace the SATA Hard Drive, Partition C;\ on the computer.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 7:18pm

dellcrash2,

I misled you. The link I provided to moocha doesn't contain drivers for our controller (82801FR). The link supplied by NightOwl does. Choose the A01 file (82876.exe), not A08. It extracts to a floppy. From the F6 menu it gives two choices for drivers. You need SATA AHCI.

I've just tested both floppies. NightOwl's one will work.

IP Logged

dellcrash2

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 10:21pm

6/4/2006 11:15:38 PM

Brian,

I used your last suggestion and used the A01 file (82876.exe), not A08.

Cheesy:D:DIT WORKS FINE NOW!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Thank you very much.  I have been trying to solve this problem for the last two days.  I really appreciate this help given by you and  NightOwl.

Thanks again

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 11:04pm

Glad we could help. Let us know how the restore works out. This is how I do a restore.

Quote:
Boot to the Ghost CD
Set the Time Zone
Advanced Recovery Tasks
System Restore
dot in Restore drives          ,Next
dot in Single drive            ,Next
Browse to your image file      ,Next
Select a destination           ,Next
tick Verify backup
tick Check for file system errors after restore
tick Resize drive to fill unallocated space (Y or N) Will be greyed out if partition is correct size
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signatures
tick Restore MBR (for new HD's)
Next
tick Reboot after finish
Finish

Check computer clock after OS boots. May be out by an hour or two.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print