Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and NTFS partitions. (Read 9249 times)
Killerbee

Ghost 2003 and NTFS partitions.
Jun 5th, 2006 at 8:39am

Hi all,

I've been here before, a while ago, but there is still a question left for me to ask. I know you can use Ghost for imaging NTFS partitions but the filenames which you see in Ghost are somewhat different than with imaging a FAT32 partition.

Like here on this screenshot you see with "current file" a directory structure is mentioned. This isn't the case with imaging NTFS partitions. Is this correct or should I worry about this?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 and NTFS partitions.
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 8:58am

Killerbee

That appears to be the DOS file name of a *long filename*--if you are referring to the *CDDAE_~1*.

If everything is working okay--then, I wouldn't worry about it.

But you say:

Quote:
Like here on this screenshot you see with "current file" a directory structure is mentioned.
This isn't the case with imaging NTFS partitions.

What are you seeing that's *different* with the NTFS partition?  I haven't paid much attention to that *Current file* line during imaging, so I don't recall what's different.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Killerbee

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 1:12pm

I posted the image so I could visualize where my problem lies BUT this image shows an imaging process of a FAT32 (I couldn't find any of an NTFS process).

The difference is that when I used to make of a FAT32 partition I got the exact same thing as on the image, for example:

\Progr_~1\.........

Like you said it is the DOS name for long file names. But when I make an image of my NTFS partition, I get something like:

1908 SpySweeper.exe

So, first some digit code and then a filename and not a directory. The format is the same as above only the digits and filename are fiction.

I hope I could explain my problem better this way.

IP Logged

Killerbee

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 1:51pm

I'm sorry for bumping this thread but isn't there anyone who can give me an answer on this? There must be several people who make images of NTFS partitions though, who see the exact same thing and can tell me if this is correct or wrong.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 8:53pm

This is all fine and expected; the reason for the difference lies in the way NTFS works internally. In FAT to find all the files on a disk the code has to walk through lots of little directory files scattered all over the disk, so Ghost builds up the full pathname to each file as it chases the files around (and shows that to you in a collapsed form).

In NTFS information about files is collected into a single mega-file called the Master File Table, and files are internally identified by their index number in it, so Ghost just has to walk the table, and constructing a pathname like the one you see in the FAT clone would take extra work and slow down the cloning process. The number you see before the file in an NTFS clone is the slot the file occupies in the Master File Table.

IP Logged

Killerbee

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 7:59pm

Thank you very much for your clear answer. I already thought it would have something to do with how the file are stored. But this way I'm sure and I don't have to bother having a corrupt image. Thanks again!!!!

IP Logged

ZBREAKER
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 9:41am

Yeah, I had jitters also when I upgraded from win98 to winXP about my Ghost 2003. But much to my delight, the original boot floppy worked just fine and the program has continued to save my butt with NTFS, tho some "things" as mentioned look a little different.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print