Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 -operating system not found (Read 42300 times)
Brucest
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 2003 -operating system not found
Jun 6th, 2006 at 2:00pm

Hi, looking for help.

I was trying to clone my hard drive with Ghost 2003 to a usb hard drive on the theory that I'm going not get a new computer soon, and might be able to use the clone to transfer stuff from the old computer to the new one.

Any things seemed to be going fine until Ghost restarted the computer.  It came up "operating system can't be found".

I can get into dos with the Ghost 2003 disk with some Ghost  pages, but I don't have  a clue as to what if anything to tell it to do.  If I exit these, I'm in dos, but don't know what to do next.  I can access the C drive in dos.

IP Logged

Brucest
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 2003 -operating system not found
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 2:31pm

I double checked: it says Missing operating system

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 2:44pm

Brucest

Need more clarity--it's unclear what you have done so far, and on which system?

What cloning procedure did you do to the USB HDD--*disk-to-image*, or .....what?

What cloning procedure are you doing now where you do not find an operating system--*image of whole disk-to-disk*, or....what?

Which system are you using that says *no operating system found*?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brucest
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 4:20pm

Thanks,

I was using Ghost in Windows 2000.  I was using the cloning wizard and was trying to clone the C HDD to a file on the USB hard drive.  Whatever the wizard called for I was doing.

After starting the procedure, the program went through a restart of my computer.  On the restart boot the message came up "missing operating system".  that is the computer will not boot.
All that's working is the start of the bio system.  I can access that system and for example change the boot order but that's about it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 5:45pm

Brucest

Ah--okay--so you have Ghost 2003 installed on your Win2k system, used the cloning wizard to send the HDD data from your Win2k system to an attached USB HDD--but now the Win2k system will not successfully boot back to the Win OS--all correct?

If that's correct, then it sounds like you are *trapped* in the Ghost 2003  *virtual partition* that is created when you setup and run Ghost from the Windows GUI for Ghost 2003.

This usually happens if Ghost 2003 is not completely compatible with the system hardware--many can use Ghost 2003 DOS version booted from a floppy disk or bootable optical media to avoid this compatibility issue with the *virtual partition*.

Here are a couple references that should allow you to recover:

How to use GhReboot

Cannot start Windows after starting a Ghost 2003 task from Windows

How to restart the computer into Windows if a problem is encountered after running Ghost 2003

Questions?  Let us know if this solves the problem.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brucest
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 6:20pm

Thanks much.

Plan A didn't seem to work since the dos program came up in the a drive and didn't seem to recognize the E drive.  I'll create the floppy boot disk and try that tomorrow.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 6:37pm

Brucest

Quote:
Plan A didn't seem to work since the dos program came up in the a drive and didn't seem to recognize the E drive.

Again, not sure what you are trying to do!--most folks boot from the C:\ partition--and that's where you get *OS not found* error messages--why are you concerned about E:\?

What is the setup of your HDD's and partitions?

IP Logged

Bruce Stram

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 6:46am

the website you kindly directed me to told me to enter *e:\support\ghreboot.exe*.

That seems to be accessing the E drive, no?

in any case, that command doesn't run.

The site also tells me that when the Ghost 2003 disk boots up the computer that I should choose the option (1) not to install any drives.  When I choose that option it comes back with drive not recognized.

When I choose 2, and recognize my CD drives, it picks them up assigns an E which I'm able to access, but then I get a bad command response.

IP Logged

Bruce Stram

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 7:29am

I'm not sure which partition I'm in.  I have an unpartioned hard drive c, and a usb hard drive which normally gets assigned e.  I've tried disconnecting that drive on the theory that it might be a conflict, but indeed one of my cd drives does get assigned an e when I choose option 2. 

when I boot up with the ghost cd, and choose 1, or 2, the prompt is for the a drive.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 9:58am

Bruce Stram

It may be a *terminology confusion factor*, but please clarify:

Quote:
I have an unpartioned hard drive c,

Is this the original system's HDD that you tried to clone to the USB HDD?  If so, then you have *one internal HDD with a single partition*!

If it is *unpartitioned*, then it can not be formatted, and it can not hold any files, and would not have an OS installed on it--and you would get an an error such as "Missing operating system" or "Invalid system disk" if trying to boot from it.

I'm assuming it's *one internal HDD with a single partition*!

It appears that you are booting from the Ghost installation CD, and *yes* you need to choose one of the options other than #1 where it says *
1.  Continue without loading any drivers
*!  That option will simply take you to the A:\ prompt, but without any drivers loaded to access the data on the Ghost installation CD!

So, choose *
2.  Load CD drivers (IDE and SCSI)

There have been several Ghost 2003 installation CD's released over the years, and each behaves in a different fashion.  The earlier CD's would load the boot file drivers, and then ask you to type in the preferred language, and based on the report of the loaded drivers, you had to tell the boot program what drive letter had been assigned to your CD drive (it might be the other way around--been awhile--can't remember if it's drive letter first, and then language selection)--then the program would proceed to load Ghost in the selected language from the CD.

You might get a number of load *error* messages for different types of optical drives if they are not found on your particular system--but don't worry about those.  At the end of the boot sequence--the last couple lines should say if your optical drive was found and what drive letter was assigned.

The most recent Ghost 2003 installation CD that I have simply ends at the A:\ prompt--instead of loading and running Ghost as an endpoint.

You are now in the DOS OS--and it responds differently than what you might be accustom to.  Unless the boot files include what's know as a *path statement* which tells DOS where it can *automatically* look for files in response to a typed command, DOS will need to be run on *manual* commands.

To change to a different drive, you type the drive letter followed by *:*, and press enter--so if your CD drive is assigned E:\, then type:

e:  (and then press enter)

The prompt should switch to E:\>.  If that drive does not exist--you will get an error message *Invalid drive specification*.

You can now type *dir*, and then *enter* to list the directory contents of E:\--it will list other sub-directories and any files in the *root* directory of E:\.

To change to the *Support* sub-directory, you type *cd support*, and then *enter* (*cd* stands for *change directory* in DOS).

Type in *dir*, and *enter* again, and you should get a list of files in the E:\support sub-directory--it should have *ghreboot.exe* there.

Type *ghreboot.exe* at the E:\support> prompt and that recovery program should run--if all goes *well*, it should delete Ghost's *virtual partition* and make your C:\ the boot partition again, and all should be back as it was before the problem.  Remove the Ghost installation CD, and reboot.

Questions?  Report back how things went.

IP Logged

Bruce Stram

Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 2:24pm

Thanks for the adivce, an adventure in DOS land.

I had to take an additional step to bring up the English dir in order to find support, and then ghreboot.exe in support.

Ran that to no avail.

Program reboots (with 2003 disk out) and missling operatiing system pops up.

I created a floppy boot disk from the site and I'll try that next.

IP Logged

Bruce Stram

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 2:49pm

boot.disk didn't work

the other files i see in the support dir are: gdisk.exe,ghost.exe,ghstwalk.exe.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 3:13pm

Bruce Stram

Well, one always hopes for the *easy* fix--now we dig deeper:

Boot with the Ghost installation disc, change to that *Support* directory again.

1.  This time type:

gdisk /status  (and hit return)

Record the information under *Disks* and *Partitions*--if you only have one HDD hooked up to your system with a single partition, and if Ghost has created a *virtual partition*, I suspect you will get 2 disks, 1 and 2, listed under *Disks*.

2.  Now, type:

gdisk 1 /status  (and hit return)

Record the *Partition*, *Status*, *Type*, and *Volume Label* (if present) information.

3.  And, assuming you have a disk #2 listed, type:

gdisk 2 /status  (and hit return)

Record the *Partition*, *Status*, *Type*, and *Volume Label* (if present) information.

Report back with the results.

IP Logged

Bruce Stram

Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 4:52pm

1             Primary
c:   2      A     Primary

no volume label for either

the other external USB HDD doesn't come up

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 5:32pm

Bruce Stram

Okay.  *gdisk* is Symantec's DOS command line partitioning tool.

You have two primary partitions listed in the Master Boot Record (MBR)--the first should be your original HDD with your Win2k on it, and the second should be the *virtual partition* that the Windows based Ghost program created.

(Edit by NightOwl (approx 7:30 am, 06/09/2006)  for clarity --The above sentence is a correct statement--but what follows below is incorrect--somehow my *thinking cap* switched from *two primary partitions* to *two disks--#1 and #2--and the *gdisk* command lines below are incorrect.

This is cleared up in the next several posts--so read on if you are following this thread, and want the correct information!)

1.  Using *gdisk*, let's make disk #2 *not* the *active* partition and then *hide* that disk #2  Primary partition by typing at the E:\ ....\Support> prompt:

gdisk 2 /-act  (and press *enter*)

and then,

gdisk 2 /hide  (and press *enter*)

2.  Now, using *gdisk*, set the disk #1 as *active* by typing:

gdisk 1 /act  (and press *enter*)

3.  To confirm that the changes have been made correctly, you can type:

gdisk 1 /status  (and press *enter*)

and

gdisk 2/status  (and press *enter*)

You should see that disk 1 is now set as active, disk 2 is not active, and disk 2 is hidden.

If everything looks as it should, remove the CD and reboot--are you back into the Win2k OS?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print