Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What does marking the drive as usable in ghost do? (Read 4254 times)
xertech
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

What does marking the drive as usable in ghost do?
Jun 6th, 2006 at 9:02pm

"Mark these drives as usable in Ghost?"

I see this message and I always cancel out.  But I was wondering, what exactly does "marking the drives" do to the drives? 
Does it affect, in any way whatsoever, my data if I choose to restore it?   Does it alter any of my data when I image it?  Do most people "mark" their drives or not?

TIA

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: What does marking the drive as usable in ghost
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 10:58pm

xertech

Quote:
But I was wondering, what exactly does "marking the drives" do to the drives?

You can read up on the details here--warning--it's a long read  Wink  (starting with reply #28 shows the specific details of what Ghost is doing when it is *marking* and *fingerprinting* a HDD):

Ghost 2003 build 793 Broken options (NOPtions)

Quote:
Does it affect, in any way whatsoever, my data if I choose to restore it?

Actually, no--if you are restoring a whole disk image to a new HDD--that Sector 62 is outside of the Master Boot Record that is included in an image--so if you dis-allow *marking* and *fingerprinting*, nothing will be transferred and no new data will be placed in that sector on the  new empty HDD.

But Ghost will *fingerprint* in that sector if you have not used the switch to disallow it.  And it will place its *mark* there if you do not refuse when it asks upon first loading.

Quote:
Does it affect, in any way whatsoever, my data if I choose to restore it?

Again, no.

Quote:
Does it alter any of my data when I image it?

Ghost really only copies the first sector of the boot record area of a HDD which is the critical area for booting correctly.  If you use the *-ib* switch (image boot--meaning the entire boot record area), then the entire boot record area is included in the image, and that sector 62 will be restored on a new HDD.

Quote:
Do most people "mark" their drives or not?

I do--it avoids the nag screen  Wink !

And, you must mark the HDD if you want to use the Ghost Windows GUI--in Windows, Ghost will not let you refuse, and still continue with the Ghost procedure.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print