Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
usb keyboard & mouse (Read 8444 times)
jim barron

usb keyboard & mouse
Jun 12th, 2006 at 5:06pm

Have just purchased new pc with only usb keyboard and mouse. I want to image the new drive before i do anything toit as the new system came pre installed and I do not have installations disks. When I boot to ghost the thing hangs. I believe this is because it cant find the keyboard / mouse. how do I get the DOS interface to work with my new setup?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: usb keyboard & mouse
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 6:06pm

Quote:
"... When I boot to ghost the thing hangs. I believe this is because it cant find the keyboard / mouse. how do I get the DOS interface to work with my new setup?..."

Consider the
/norst (no reset)
option in CONFIG.SYS to handle legacy USB issues.  Review the threads below:

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 7:36pm

jim barron

Just to clarify--

1.  What version of Ghost are you attempting to use?

2.  How are you setting things up--using the Windows Ghost GUI--or booting to DOS and attempting to load Ghost from a boot floppy?

3.  If a boot floppy--how are you creating that disk--Ghost Boot Wizard, or .... ?

The above mentioned *switch* by El_Pescador applies the the Panasonic DOS USB drivers--and not the Ghost provided DOS USB drivers.

Some, using the Ghost Boot Wizard, have reported success with USB mouse and/or keyboard by selecting in the *Peer-to-Peer Options*--*USB Support*--but, then there is no option to include USB external HDD access--unless you create a *custom* boot disk, and add the Panasonic DOS USB drivers--we can walk you through that if you need it--but may not work depending on your setup.

Questions?  Let us know how things go.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

jim barron

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 3:28am

Hi, Thanks for info,

I am using Ghost 2003 booting from Floppy into DOS. I created the Floppy using W98 boot disk with Ghost.exe added. The machine boots to the Gost GUI but then hangs. It works fine on my old PC (Dell Optiplex GX270) but my new PC (Dell Dimension 5150) only has USB keyboard & Mouse) and I believe that to be the problem. Is it simply a matter of adding drivers to my boot floppy?

Jim Barron

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 9:37am

jim barron

Quote:
Is it
simply
a matter of adding drivers to my boot floppy?

Maybe, but may have to try a couple different combination of drivers to see what works.

1.  Does your new system have the option of using the old style *serial* keyboard and mouse?  If *yes*, then possibly the easiest/fastest solution is to *borrow* them from another system, or stop by a computer shop and see if they have an old system that's being trashed--they may *give* you a keyboard and mouse.  Hook those up only when you plan to boot to DOS for Ghosting--disconnect when you are ready to boot back to Windows.  You can buy a cheap serial keyboard and mouse for less than $20.00 probably.

2.  If we're going to try adding USB DOS drivers--then we need to know where we can find them.  Do you have Ghost 2003 installed in Windows on one of your systems?  That would give you easy access to the Ghost Boot Wizard to create different floppy boot disks with different drivers to *test*.  It also gives us access to those DOS USB drivers for placing on a *custom* boot floppy.

3.  Sounds like your system boots from the Win98 boot disk to DOS okay, but freezes when you load Ghost--so, does your keyboard allow you to type in DOS commands?

So we know what we're working with--look in the BIOS for something to the effect of *Legacy USB Support*--is that present and what is it's setting--*Enabled or Disabled?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 12:48pm

NightOwl wrote on Jun 12th, 2006 at 7:36pm:
"... The above mentioned *switch* by El_Pescador applies the the Panasonic DOS USB drivers--and not the Ghost provided DOS USB drivers..."

Quite correct, and I confess that I failed to "flesh-out" my suggestion.  Read excerpt below for commentary on issues with USB keyboards and mice:

Quote:
"...  I have found a effect of the "/norst" switch with the USBASPI.SYS (Panasonic USB to ASPI driver v2.06) The situation: I have connected a USB mice (Logitech USB Wheel Mouse Optical on the USB port, not with the PS/2 adapter).

The "USB Mouse Support" in the BIOS is Enabled, the mice works in DOS with the BIOS PS/2 Emulation with a standard DOS mice driver.  If I load the usbaspi.sys with device=usbaspi.sys /V the
LED of the optical mice going off, when the usbaspi.sys scan the UHCI controller interface
.  If I try now to load the mice driver under DOS the computer hangs.  When I use device=usbaspi.sys /V /NORST, the
LED of the mice going NOT OFF and the mice works fine
.  /norst make it apparently possible to use a USB mice with the BIOS PS/2 emulation (When I use device=usbaspi.sys /E /V, without scanning the UCHI controllers, the usbaspi.sys only scanning the EHCI controller and the mice works fine too, but then I can not use UHCI mass storage devices)..."

EP
Cry

IP Logged

jim barron

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 3:57pm

Hi Thanks again.

In answer to your questions.

1. No my new PC does not have PS/2 connectors therefore only usb keyboard & mouse.

2. Yes i do have Ghost 2003 installed in windows but have never used it that way, preferring to use the DOS method for imaging. I will look at the boot options and play around a bit.

3. No, when the thing hangs I cannot do anything except button it!

Thanks

Jim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print