HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restore Speed (Read 5142 times)
m3parker
Ex Member

Restore Speed
Jun 13th, 2006 at 10:32am

i recently updated the server that has our ghost images on it from 2000 to 2003.  Before the update i could ghost a machine in around 20 min across our network, now it's showing to take over 3 hours!  Shocked 

Any ideas why the sudden change? 

one other thing, before the update the config of the server was a 40GB primary HD with at 80GB secondary HD.  With the update i swapped the roles of the two making the 40GB secondary and the 80GB primary.  I also cant remember if I had the ghost console loaded on the server before the change...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Restore Speed
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 11:00am

m3parker

Not my area of expertise--hopefully someone with more knowledge will see this--but....

I suspect the most likely issue is the upgrade either installed different network drivers that are proving to be less efficient, and/or the new network drivers are configured with wrong settings--I would look there for answers.

Any way for you to *revert* back to the old setup (do you have Ghost images of the originals?)--sure doesn't look like an improvement--why the upgrade?

If you can revert back, maybe try the swapping of the HDD's before the upgrade to make sure that works without problems before trying the upgrade.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 4:51pm

Perhaps the hard drive swap had something to do with it.  Do you have any idea what type of interface the hard drives have?  For example, if you switched from a SATA II @ 300 Mbs to a SATA I @ 150 Mbs, that might account for the speed decrease.

IP Logged

m3parker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 12:32pm

both drives are IDE so the swap shouldn't be the problem...perhaps i'll open up the box again and check that out...

the driver on the destination machine is the INTEL Pro 100 VE, has anybody heard of any problems with this NIC card and it's drivers?  i swear i've tried every dos driver for the thing from 2002 to present...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print