Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10: For VB programmers only (Read 6691 times)
Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Ghost 10: For VB programmers only
Jun 22nd, 2006 at 2:37am

A few months ago, I encountered a problem that seems to be caused by Ghost 10.

If you are a VB programmer, please look at http://www.standards.com/index.html?GhostIssueFindFiles.

The question is whether the code is correct, not whether the code runs correctly on a system, as it may be difficult to reproduce the problem.

I do believe that it's a Ghost issue, but I do not want to muddy the details until folkes agree that the code is kerect,

If a bunch of VB programmers  agree that the code is correct, I'll try to rationalize and summon the courage to contact Symantech tech "support".

Also, see http://www.standards.com/index.html?CompareDrives.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 10: For VB programmers only
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:19am

Howard, I believe that examining and building upon the VB scripts found here may be of assistance in your project.

Readers who are interested in comparing drives and identifying differences may wish to use FolderMatch – which, by the way, does indeed work with mounted Ghost 10 virtual volumes.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:48am

Pleonasm wrote on Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:19am:
Howard, I believe that examining and building upon the VB scripts found here may be of assistance in your project.

Readers who are interested in comparing drives and identifying differences may wish to use FolderMatch – which, by the way, does indeed work with mounted Ghost 10 virtual volumes.

The point of this thread was to examine the code I posted.
Unlesss I made a mistake in the code, other programs, at least those using VB,  will also have the same problem with specific types of drives.

However, I doi not believe the problem is programming language specific.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:57am

Howard Kaikow

Any possibility that comparing *your posted code* to that of other similar code, especially if it does not show the same functional incompatibility--you might find *clues* as to where the problem lies?

I'm not a *coder*, and I do not know if Pleonasm's link refers to code that performs similar functions as to what you are attempting--but, it they are similar--wouldn't it be helpful to test that coding with mounted Ghost 10 drives to see if the same error(s) occur.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 12:44pm

NightOwl, you correctly summarized the motivation behind the link I provided to sample VB code (authored by Microsoft) that performs the function of listing “All the Files on a Computer” and of retrieving “File Attributes”.  If Howard were to successfully run these snippets against a mounted Ghost 10 virtual volume, it would suggest that the problem resides within Howard’s code or algorithm – and, it may provide direction toward a solution.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Howard Kaikow
Technoluster

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 12:57pm

I can see already that posting such a thread in forum not devoted to programming was not  useful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print