Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NSW-ghost 10-Ext 320gb-Are Partitions allowed (Read 9663 times)
kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

NSW-ghost 10-Ext 320gb-Are Partitions allowed
Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:08pm

I am using ghost 10 from Norton Systems Works and trying to perform a backup of my HD. With Brians help I was able to make a backup to DVD, but it took 3hr32min. I purchased a new external Iomega 320gb for backups to my four machines. After formating to NTFS I created four partitions and named them according to the computers and size of their internal drives. When I tried to backup the first one it ran for about 2 minutes and said TARGET DISK FULL. I tried it two or three more times, all the same message.
Partition 1 100gb  Computer hd 120gb using about 40gb
Partition 2 100gb  Computer hd 120gb using about 30gb
Partition 3 80gb    Computer hd 80gb using about 43gb
Partition 4 40gb    Computer hd 40gb using about 23gb
All computers running XP Pro.

I went back and removed all partitions and it worked fine in 32 min. Does that mean I can't have partitions in the external drive or am I not doing something right???

thks
Harold

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: NSW-ghost 10-Ext 320gb-Are Partions allowed
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:58pm

kaletonto wrote on Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:08pm:
"... I purchased a new external Iomega 320gb for backups to my four machines. After formating to NTFS I created four partitions..."

Check your Iomega documentation very carefully to see what is said - if anything - about reformatting and partitioning.  I reformatted and partitioned an external USB 2.0 Iomega 80GB HDD contrary to the manual's recommendation and suffered all kinds of grief with Norton Ghost 2003.  It was exceedingly difficult to return it to the "out-of-the-box" condition, but I managed to pull it off and the Iomega has worked perfectly ever since - including Ghost 2003 Restores to two Dell Dimension desktop PCs immersed in Hurricane Katrina's salty floodwaters (the external HDD was sealed in a ZipLok bag placed on the highest shelf in the house before the storm).

EP
Cry

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:00pm

How big (used and unused) was the partition you were backing up with Ghost 10?  Did you check compress?

You really don't need to create separate partitions, one for each of your four pc's.  Just create one partition as you did (NTFS) and then four folders.  Put each pc backup image into separate folder.  That way you don't have to constraints and worries about the partition filling up, and to split.

Welcome to Ghost 10!

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:04pm

El_Pescador wrote on Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:58pm:
I reformatted and partitioned an external USB 2.0 Iomega 80GB HDD contrary to the manual's recommendation and suffered all kinds of grief with Norton Ghost 2003.  

I've never had any problems with Iomega USB hard drives, and have used several.  They normally come formatted as FAT32.  Just use the Windows XP Disk Management utility to delete that Fat32 partition and then use the utility to create a NTFS one.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:28pm

John. wrote on Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:00pm:
You really don't need to create separate partitions, one for each of your four pc's.  Just create one partition as you did (NTFS) and then four folders.  Put each pc backup image into separate folder.  That way you don't have to constraints and worries about the partition filling up, and to split.

I agree. I used to have two partitions on my external HD and I could write images to either partition. But I couldn't see any advantages in having multiple partitions on an external backup HD and now I have a single partition.

I don't know why you couldn't write images to your partitions.

IP Logged

kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: NSW-ghost 10-Ext 320gb-Are Partitions allowed
Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 6:56am

El_Pescador wrote on Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:58pm:
Check your Iomega documentation very carefully to see what is said - if anything - about reformatting and partitioning.
EP
Cry

I read all the info a couple of times and there was nothing that had any restrictions for formatting or partitioning. I just thought it would help in seperating the backups if I used the partitions. Harold

IP Logged

kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 7:13am

John. wrote on Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:00pm:
How big (used and unused) was the partition you were backing up with Ghost 10?  Did you check compress? Welcome to Ghost 10!

These are the sizes, and I did check compress:

USB Partition 1 100gb    Computer hd 120gb using about 40gb
USB Partition 2 100gb    Computer hd 120gb using about 30gb
USB Partition 3 80gb      Computer hd 80gb using about 43gb
USB Partition 4 40gb      Computer hd 40gb using about 23gb 

Head in sand----Never thought about using folders and that will work just fine. thks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 7:15am

kaletonto wrote on Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:08pm:
Computer hd 120gb using about 40gb

Harold, is this the partition that you imaged in 32 minutes? How large is the image? What compression level did you use?

IP Logged

kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 7:49am

Brian wrote on Jun 23rd, 2006 at 7:15am:
Harold, is this the partition that you imaged in 32 minutes? How large is the image? What compression level did you use?

The image is 11.6gb and I did one of the laptops first which has about 23gb used. If I remember correctly I just left it as standard compression per your suggestion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print