Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Mouse for Ghost 10? (Read 9048 times)
IT

Need Mouse for Ghost 10?
Jun 23rd, 2006 at 9:51am

Has any one seen this yet. We use touchscreens and keyboard with our systems, no mouse. If we boot to the ghost  disk the screen comes up but you cant select any of the options on the left hand pane, they are all grayed out. If you use the keyboard to navigatge down the list it tells you that you have to restart. So you restart and it does the same thing. If you plug a mouse in you can then navigate to the options on the left. Is this a bug or am I missing something. Why cant I just use the keyboard like in every other pe or dos program. There is no mention of having to have a mouse in the manual.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Need Mouse for Ghost 10?
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 10:10am

IT

Quote:
There is no mention of having to have a mouse in the manual.

This may not be a *Ghost* issue, but a *system* issue--I know that I can run DOS Ghost without using a DOS mouse driver when booting to DOS--just navigate with the keyboard--but, that same system would not even boot if the mouse was not plugged into the serial or USB port.

Your problem may have to do with the software implementation of the *touchscreens* and its interaction with the *system* as far as expecting a *mouse* to be present--even if drivers are not actually loaded.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 10:21am

You are talking about the Ghost 10 Recovery CD boot, correct?  I've used Ghost 10 a lot but never tried booting the Recovery CD without a mouse.

I have booted XP many times without a mouse--usually because the mouse cable was inadvertently pulled loose.  I was always able to navigate XP without needing a mouse--using the alt key, tab key (to go to next menu item), space bar (to select) etc.

I think there is a list someone of all the keyboard keys that allow you to operate without a mouse, but I don't know where off the top of my head.

Out of curiousity, why is NOT using the mouse that important?  You are booting from the Ghost 10 emergency boot restore CD, so it is not a normal situation, but an emergency where you are trying to restore from a backup image.  Wouldn't a $5 mouse be a good investment?  Even though I can operate XP without one, I get tired after a few minutes, and recable and reboot with the mouse connected.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 10:23am

IP Logged

thousandbuckle
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 10:31am

I registered and changed my name now. I have service personnel that travel to company sites in mills and I dont want to make each one of them add a mouse to there tool bag. This is a problem even on a stand alone pc with a regular vga monitor and keyboard. I can use the keyboard to navigate but you cant select any of the options with the keyboard and if you try it tells you that you have to reboot the pc. Then it does it again. I have ran ghost 8 with no mouse fine, but ghost 10 is buggy on the need for a mouse. Any more ideas. Can any one else test this and see if they have the same problem?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 2:18pm

I just shut down my pc, disconnected my mouse, then booted from my Ghost 10 Recovery CD.

Using only the keyboard I was able to browse my external USB2 drive, select a recovery point and then select a folder and recover that folder to c: drive.

I have to say though that all the combinations (alt, tab, space bar etc) needed to select and accomplish it were not fun.  Any field (average) user would not be happy with the instructions on using a pc that way.

My guess is that your touchscreen device is interfering with the standard driver that's on the Ghost 10 CD.  What happens if you disconnect the touchscreen cable?  Of course if you tell your field users to do that, they could more easily connect a mouse.

Bottom line, looks like it is something unique to your configuration.  Ghost 10 worked fine (although clumsily) without a mouse.

IP Logged

thousandbuckle
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 4:21pm

I got it to work with the mouse. I never tried hitting the space bar. If I use the arrow keys to the tab I want on the side and use the space bar it works, if I hit the enter key it tells me that this application will exit. So it works I guess, thanx for the space bar thought, skipped my mind. Still dont understand why hitting the enter key gives that message. Many thanks to all and this forum. There is a wealth of info in here. I love it.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 4:27pm

Glad you made some progress.  Here's part of the quote from the Microsoft link.  Most of these (like the space bar to select) are ones I remember from my DOS days.  Smiley

Dialog box keyboard commands
• TAB: Move to the next control in the dialog box
• SHIFT+TAB: Move to the previous control in the dialog box
• SPACEBAR: If the current control is a button, this clicks the button. If the current control is a check box, this toggles the check box. If the current control is an option, this selects the option.
• ENTER: Equivalent to clicking the selected button (the button with the outline)
• ESC: Equivalent to clicking the Cancel button
• ALT+underlined letter in dialog box item: Move to the corresponding item

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print