Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Network Boot questions (Read 7267 times)
Tnelson
Dude

ghoster

OKC

Network Boot questions
Jun 24th, 2006 at 8:29am

I have a windows 2000 server sitting here that was used entirely for ghost in the past, but I personally have never really used it much aside from direct copying of hard drives.  I have Ghost 8 on this machine.  It was used for our old gateway machines with 3com cards and worked wonderfully from what i hear.  But i am having trouble with the dells. 

I put the right driver on the boot disks, e1000.dos  for the built in intel cards on the 270s.  And the B57.dos for the broadcom cards that are in some of them.  I can get both of them to boot, recognize and load the driver, bind, and boot to ghost.  But when i unicast i cannot connect to the ghost server.  Yes, i have the right session name and server IP and have the ghost server waiting to "accept clients"  But I still cant get it to find it.

Do i need to have this on a seperate network, or is it fine to use inside my normal network?

I have also been working on getting a boot cd up and running.  I have read all the faq info etc and have not been able to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Local ghost long time user, working on netcasting.
Tne7  
IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Network Boot questions
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 9:18am

Tnelson

Setting up the Ghost server is not something I have experience with--maybe someone who does will help out here, but here's a tutorial on setting up a boot CD for Ghost 8 using network support:

How to Create a Ghost 8.0 Network Boot CD

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tnelson
Dude

ghoster

OKC

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 5:22pm

a bit of searching google and a few other places has turned up this:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/...

its a problem with the broadcom nics.  The ghost server is up and working perfectly, just has not been used in about 2 years.  I am working on getting the proper updated drivers etc.  That network boot disk intro isnt that helpful, thanks tho.  I have that, but there is another way of doing it, creating my own boot image with winimage.  And i think thats a bit more useful for my application where i need to make several boot disks for different nics.  Hopefully the upgraded drivers will help me load my nic drivers to be able to hit the ghost server.  Thanks.

I want to try a universal application like this:

http://www.netbootdisk.com/download.htm

so i can create a generic network boot cd to boot any machine up to ghost.  I think that would be useful.  I could zip and host my .ima after i finish.  

Ideally i would like to create a boot cd that boots to a menu with a list of the different nics i have.  I pick a number and it starts that ghost .ima to load the drivers, nic driver, bind, then run ghost.  That way i could make one cd for the entire network.  It would be really easy for someone to modify for their own use as well.

edit, should this go in High rad?

Tne7  
IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 11:21pm

Tnelson

http://www.netbootdisk.com/download.htm

Ooooh...good reference--that's a keeper.

Homepage has some good reading:  
Homepage--Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk

Quote:
I could zip and host my .ima after i finish.

We all await the results of your efforts--please do share when you have developed your boot disk.

Quote:
should this go in High rad?

No, it's fine right here!

Quote:
Ideally i would like to create a boot cd that boots to a menu with a list of the different nics i have.  I pick a number and it starts that ghost .ima to load the drivers, nic driver, bind, then run ghost.

Does this help: 
Create Multi-Bootable CD/DVD image file

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 12:46am

Quote:
I want to try a universal application like this:

http://www.netbootdisk.com

so i can create a generic network boot cd to boot any machine up to ghost.  I think that would be useful.

That's the one I use.  It boots up with a wider variety of DOS NIC drivers than anything else I've seen.  You can just boot the Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk, connect to a network share from the command line, and launch Ghost 2003 from a second floppy.  It works on an impressive variety of machines, and saves you the trouble of wrestling with pe plugins or usb drivers or trying to reinvent a NIC-specific Ghost bootdisk.

It's designed as a floppy, but you can make a bootable CD just by using the floppy image as the boot image for the CD.  I find it so useful I customized the scripts to boot quicker from a CD and strip out "floppy" parts I didn't need.  My CD boots DOS, can connect to TCP/IP networks, can run the DOS versions of Ghost 2003, Drive Image 2002, Partition Magic 8, ptedit, editbini, ntfsread, mbrwork, disk sector editors, a number of other DOS-based disk utilities--and doesn't even care whether a disk is SATA or 48-bit LBA.  Mine even includes versions of Dell's diagnostics programs for several dozen Dell models (I work on a lot of Dells).  I don't have to reinvent the wheel every time I work on a different machine, and it all fits on a 3" mini-CD that I carry around in my pocket.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 1:33am

Tnelson,

This may not interest you at all but you could run Ghost 8 from a ReatogoXPE CD. BartPE has excellent NIC and Storage driver support so the one CD should work in "all" computers. My previous computer had a B57 NIC and 925X chipset and these worked fine with ReatogoXPE and Ghost 8.

IP Logged

Tnelson
Dude

ghoster

OKC

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 8:24am

Dan Goodell wrote on Jun 25th, 2006 at 12:46am:
That's the one I use.  It boots up with a wider variety of DOS NIC drivers than anything else I've seen.  You can just boot the Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk, connect to a network share from the command line, and launch Ghost 2003 from a second floppy.  It works on an impressive variety of machines, and saves you the trouble of wrestling with pe plugins or usb drivers or trying to reinvent a NIC-specific Ghost bootdisk.

It's designed as a floppy, but you can make a bootable CD just by using the floppy image as the boot image for the CD.  I find it so useful I customized the scripts to boot quicker from a CD and strip out "floppy" parts I didn't need.  My CD boots DOS, can connect to TCP/IP networks, can run the DOS versions of Ghost 2003, Drive Image 2002, Partition Magic 8, ptedit, editbini, ntfsread, mbrwork, disk sector editors, a number of other DOS-based disk utilities--and doesn't even care whether a disk is SATA or 48-bit LBA.  Mine even includes versions of Dell's diagnostics programs for several dozen Dell models (I work on a lot of Dells).  I don't have to reinvent the wheel every time I work on a different machine, and it all fits on a 3" mini-CD that I carry around in my pocket.

Sounds good, i may have to use it, but i would like to add ghost to that disk after i boot and do the network setup so that ghost would run automatically.
Brian wrote on Jun 25th, 2006 at 1:33am:
Tnelson,

This may not interest you at all but you could run Ghost 8 from a ReatogoXPE CD. BartPE has excellent NIC and Storage driver support so the one CD should work in "all" computers. My previous computer had a B57 NIC and 925X chipset and these worked fine with ReatogoXPE and Ghost 8.

Thanks, this sounds good.  This is helpful.

I figured out that my problem does not lie in the boot disks, those are fine, I would like to have the single cd, but i will get that done this week.

my problem lies in my ghost server setup.  Does the ghost server need to have a static ip outside of dhcp?  I have a static IP inside the dhcp right now.  But for some reason i cant get any of them to find the server once they are booted (and this includes and old gateway with a 3com nic that loads fine.   I will just have to go over the setup and maybe do a reinstall to get it all working. 

Thanks for the help guys.

Tne7  
IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 9:24am

Tnelson

Quote:
Sounds good, i may have to use it, but i would like to add ghost to that disk after i boot and do the network setup so that ghost would run automatically.

Looks like if you follow the *How to...Boot CD Version* and *Logon Scripts*--and you enable CD-ROM support, you should be able to add *ghost.exe* to the data portion of the CD you burn--and by modifying the *autoexe.bat* or *logon script*, you should be able to *automatically* boot Ghost.

Quote:
you could run Ghost 8 from a ReatogoXPE CD

To clarify for those you have not seen other threads regarding using what Brian has mentioned--there are two versions of Ghost in the Corporate Ghost 8 suite--the DOS version (ghost.exe) which only runs in pure DOS,  and the 32-bit Windows version that runs in a *command window* within a Windows OS (ghost32.exe).

The ReatogoXPE CD and Barts CD run the Windows PE OS (Windows Preinstall Environment), which is a Window *lite* OS version--so *ghost32.exe* can run under that Windows OS too.

IP Logged

Tnelson
Dude

ghoster

OKC

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 10:51am

NightOwl wrote on Jun 25th, 2006 at 9:24am:
Tnelson

Looks like if you follow the *How to...Boot CD Version* and *Logon Scripts*--and you enable CD-ROM support, you should be able to add *ghost.exe* to the data portion of the CD you burn--and by modifying the *autoexe.bat* or *logon script*, you should be able to *automatically* boot Ghost.

To clarify for those you have not seen other threads regarding using what Brian has mentioned--there are two versions of Ghost in the Corporate Ghost 8 suite--the DOS version (ghost.exe) which only runs in pure DOS,  and the 32-bit Windows version that runs in a *command window* within a Windows OS (ghost32.exe).

The ReatogoXPE CD and Barts CD run the Windows PE OS (Windows Preinstall Environment), which is a Window *lite* OS version--so *ghost32.exe* can run under that Windows OS too.

Thanks for the info on ghost32.  I already created a cd for myself that boots itself to ghost, but just not one with network drivers.  And i have made the floppies for the generic network drivers.  Now i just have to combine the two.

I think my problem at this time is the setup of my ghost server.
  I am getting error 10030 on my client side, and the server never sees the attempt, despite being ready and having the client unicast directly to its ip.

Tne7  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print