Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RAID setup (Read 12234 times)
Matt Wenger

RAID setup
Jun 25th, 2006 at 6:26pm

Okay, I just got  15k rpm scsi drive setup to run the OS.

I bought an IDE Raid controller card to run two Seagate Barracuda 200GB drives, raid mirroring.

When I install the IDE RAID card into the computer I get a "disk boot error" even though I have the SCSI drive selected as the first boot option.

Only way I have gotten this to stop if pulling the RAID card.  I think it is conflict and some type of config issue but cannot seem to get this one figured out. 

The raid card is:  Creative I/O Ultra ATA IDE raid controller card.

Thanks.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: RAID setup
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 7:41pm

When do you get the disk boot error?  Is it before the POST test completes, or after?  Do you have any drives plugged into the RAID controller?  Are they know good drives (i.e. do they work when plugged into a different cotroller like the one on the motherborad?)  Does the RAID controller configuration screen flash up before you get the error (something like "Press F12 to configure RAID sets")?

You might want to try turning off things in your BIOS that you aren't using, like a parallel port if you have one, the serial port, the MIDI/Joystic port, the LPT port...  Many computers in the last few years still ship with these ports even though no one usesed them any more.  They take up IRQ numbers and DMA channels that this card might need.

IP Logged

Matt Wenger

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 8:15pm

I know the drivers are both good because I plugged them into
the onboard motherboard, they both pulled up, and work fine.

I get the disk boot error right before it goes normally into windows.

I get it if nothing is plugged into the controller, or if both
drives are plugged in.  Only way it to take it out.

I get a press F3 to configure the controller, but I hit F3 and nothing happens.  My feeling it is an IRQ error or DMA error.  I'll play around with the bios and post my results.

IP Logged

Matt Wenger

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 10:21pm

Well, no luck messing with that.  I disabled everything:
SATA, serial, Parallel, etc.  I even took out the TV tuner card I have and swapped the IDE controller card into it's bus.

It still says press F3 to config card, but I can't--and the keyboard
is working as I have numlock and bios.

It gives "DISK BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK" right after
it starts to say  "Veriyfying DMI...."

Removing this card fixes it immedately.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 12:39am

Matt Wenger

Quote:
It gives "DISK BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK" right after it starts to say  "Veriyfying DMI...."

In my BIOS, in the section that has to do with setting the system to *Auto assign IRQ's* vs *Manually assign IRQ's*, there's a setting to *force* the BIOS to re-detect the IRQ's being assigned--this has helped on occasion to select that option when a new card has been added.

Also, it may require that you remove all the cards except the video card and the SCSI card, select that option to force the BIOS to re-detect the resources assignments, re-boot, and then add cards back one-by-one--re-booting with each new card (it may require trying several different sequences of adding back cards and/or which slot they are added to--might need to make sure the SCSI and RAID controllers are not in slots that share an IRQ--might need to *manually* set one or both IRQ's (see documentation).  I once had to make sure the USB 2.0 PCI card was added before the sound card in order to get the resources to be assigned so everything would play nice.

The RAID controller may simply not be compatible with the BIOS and/or other devices--may have to try a different controller.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 12:43am

It may also simply be a bad card.  Can you exchange it for a different one and see if that changes anything?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 12:52am

Matt Wenger

Quote:
even though I have the SCSI drive selected as the first boot option

I've not worked with a SCSI HDD controller before, but your RAID controller may also be detected as a SCSI device--so the system may not be differentiating between the SCSI HDD controller and the (SCSI) RAID HDD controller--you may have to change which device is *detected* first during boot.

Does you BIOS allow you to specify which individual HDD is the boot drive?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Matt Wenger

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 1:23pm

Okay,

When I go into the BIOS I got to PC!/IRQ assignment. 
I have:

PCI1/PC15 IRQ ASSIGNMENT [AUTO]
PCI2         IRQ ASSIGNMENT  [AUTO]
PCI3         IRQ ASSIGNMENT  [AUTO]
PCI4         IRQ ASSIGNMENT  [AUTO]

I can to Auto, or manually assign things 1-15.

I have USB on PC1/PC15

In boot settings it is setup as:
SCSI to boot first, then I have disabled everything
after that. 

Tried selecting HDD 0 but then get DISK BOOT ERROR

So, no way to force to detect.

Suggestions on what to do next, thanks.

Matt

I have SCSI, RAID, Network, Multi Media, and USB on PCI2
(this is _without_ the IDE raid card in, so maybe it is detecting the SCSI card as a RAID card also, when I am only wanting to use it to control the SCSI card)

Scsi bus cntrl, BUS 0 DEV 10, FUNC 0
Raid controller, BUS 0 DEB 15, FUNCT 0

Still with IDE Raid card out of the computer

PCI3 I get SCSI Bus Ctrl
Bus 0, Dev10, Func1

PCI4 I get dislayer, IEEE 1394, and 2 USB controllers.

Gigabit Brand Motherboard
1 AGP which is using the video card.
5 PCI slots.

From top down 1-5 it is

1 EMPTY
2 Scsi controller
3 EMPTY
4 EMPTY
5 EMPTY

IP Logged

Matt Wenger

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 1:41pm

Sorry for the mixup in responses.  All this help is *greatly* appreciated.

" Does you BIOS allow you to specify which individual HDD is the boot drive?"

Yes, I can boot to HDD 0 or SCSI and it both works and goes into
XP.  (This is without IDE RAID and neither IDE plugged into MB)

I've also taken the IDE raid out and put it into slots 3 and 4
with both giving the same errors.

Thanks,
Matt

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 4:20pm

Matt Wenger

Every BIOS is a little different--but I re-booted and checked out the specifics on my system:

The section I referred to above on my system is *PnP/PCI Configurations*.

The *reset* to re-detect the add-on card configuration is:

*Force Update ESCD*  Setting--*Disabled*

The Help info for this setting states:

Quote:
Default is *Disabled*

Select *Enable* to reset Extended System Configuration Data(ESCD) when you exit *Setup* if you have installed a new add-on and the system reconfiguration has caused such a serious conflict that the OS can not boot.

In the *Advanced BIOS Features* section, * I can select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd boot devices.  When I press enter to select a device, a drop-down menu appears with all the choices and I have to scroll down to see all the options.  One option is the RAID controller and a separate option is a SCSI controller.  Now my system has the RAID controller *integrated* onto the motherboard--so that may be why I have those two choices--and you may not have the two choices listed if your two controllers are both *add-on* PCI cards.  And your BIOS may consider the RAID and SCSI controller as *both SCSI* devices--which may be causing the conflict.

Also, the Help info for selection a boot device says for my system that if I select the RAID controller, then the SCSI can not be a boot device, and vise verse.  So the BIOS will exclude the other from being a boot device once the first is selected.

And, there is a second option--*Boot Other Devices*--it has to be set to *Enable* if I want to boot from anything other than the built-in IDE HDD controller of the motherboard--i.e. the RAID controller or a SCSI controller.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 4:30pm

Matt Wenger

Quote:
I have SCSI, RAID
, Network, Multi Media, and USB on PCI2
(
this is _without_ the IDE raid card in
, so maybe it is detecting the SCSI card as a RAID card also, when I am only wanting to use it to control the SCSI card)

Scsi bus cntrl, BUS 0 DEV 10, FUNC 0
Raid controller, BUS 0 DEB 15, FUNCT 0

Still with IDE Raid card out of the computer

Does your system already have a RAID controller built-in on the motherboard?  If *yes*--why would you be adding a RAID PCI card as well?

IP Logged

Matt W

Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 4:53pm

I have a SATA Raid on the MB, but both these drivers are normal IDE.  No normal RAID for IDE.

I understand everything you have said.  I can go into Advanced CMOS settings and select which boot device I want to boot from first, I have done that (from CD-ROM to install XP, to different hard-drives, to my scsi drive which is the OS/boot drive)

I *believe* that maybe my MB is detecting both the SCSI card and the "raid" card as RAID devices.  I think that is the main problem and I think once we figure that out we are golden.  Maybe it is not possible.  If that is the case I can figure out another solution.

When I go into the PnP/PCI I only have the option to manually
set the IRQ, or auto-detect.  I have looked around and do not see
any place to "force detect" or anything like that.  I can manually set them or auto detect for each PCI port.

Am I being clear?

Thanks for all the help.

Matt W

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 6:07pm

Matt Wenger

Okay--gotcha--you have a SATA RAID controller built-in to the motherboard, but you are trying to add a IDE-RAID controller PCI card to use IDE HDD's.

(Possibly the simplest solution--buy SATA HDD's and use the built-in controller--but, that costs more $ !)

You should be able to *disable* your various *built-in* controllers--probably in the *Advanced CMOS* section--so change to *disabled* your RAID, Network, Multi Media, and USB *devices* or *chipsets* or *controllers*--whatever they're called--you can *re-enable* them later. 

Leave the SCSI controller installed.

Plug in the IDE RAID controller and attach one or both IDE HDD.  Boot.  You should get your initial *POST* screen that lets you enter the BIOS before anything else.  Go into the BIOS first--does the PnP section detect the IDE RAID card and  assign an IRQ or other resource to it?

In your *Standard CMOS* section--are the HDD's detected?

Exit the BIOS and let the boot process continue.  Do you get a screen indicating to press some key(s) to enter the setup program for the IDE RAID controller?

Can you boot to the OS now?

IP Logged

Matt W

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 7:26pm

Okay--gotcha--you have a SATA RAID controller built-in to the motherboard, but you are trying to add a IDE-RAID controller PCI card to use IDE HDD's.

Yes, that is correct

(Possibly the simplest solution--buy SATA HDD's and use the built-in controller--but, that costs more $ !)

Yes, I know, but like you said - $$

You should be able to *disable* your various *built-in* controllers--probably in the *Advanced CMOS* section--so change to *disabled* your RAID, Network, Multi Media, and USB *devices* or *chipsets* or *controllers*--whatever they're called--you can *re-enable* them later. 

I disabled everything, and I do mean everything in
"integrated peripherals"  audio, paralle, usb, lans, serial, game, IDE on board controller, etc.

Leave the SCSI controller installed.

Check

Plug in the IDE RAID controller and attach one or both IDE HDD.  Boot.  You should get your initial *POST* screen that lets you enter the BIOS before anything else.  Go into the BIOS first--does the PnP section detect the IDE RAID card and  *s*ign an IRQ or other resource to it?

Yes, I get the BIOS option, when I go into it I get (with everything disabled--even on board IDE controller) I get

PCI2= Scsi bus contrller, bus 0, dev20, func 0

PCI3= SCSI BUS CNTRLER=, bus 0, dev10, func 1
          RAID cntrler     bus 0, dev 11, fun 0

In your *Standard CMOS* section--are the HDD's detected?

Exit the BIOS and let the boot process continue.  Do you get a screen indicating to press some key(s) to enter the setup program for the IDE RAID controller? 

Yes, I have *always* had a F3 to enter into RAID utility, and
whenever I hit F3 nothing happened, but now it does work.

Can you boot to the OS now?

Yes!  So the combination was disabling everything, and having the drives plugged into the RAID controller.

I have to setup the RAID now and re-enable everything else, but this is progess.

I am now installing the raid software.  Had to re-enable the 2nd on board IDE controller to get the CD-ROM to work Wink

Any recommendation on what to enable first when I go back?

Thanks,

Matt

IP Logged

Matt W

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 8:07pm

Nevermind.  Got it completely figured out.  Enabled back the things I need, and everything is still working, knock on wood.

The solution was to disable everything, AND plug the drives into the card.  Guess I should have figured that out when I couldn't hit F3 to do things.

SATA drives from now on.

Now I gotta figure out the best way to also backup to an external drive.  I'm thinking Robocopy periodically, but that is another thread.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print