Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drive C seen as removable drive-SCSI to SATA resto (Read 6896 times)
capt2004
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Drive C seen as removable drive-SCSI to SATA resto
Jun 29th, 2006 at 10:46pm

Hi,

I have the weirdest problem I have seen with Ghost 9 software. I have been using Ghost 2003 since about 3 years ago on my old PC where I only had IDE drives.
Now I bought a new PC where I have a SCSI and SATA controllers for hard drives.
SCSI is on LSI Logic 1020/1030 controller and SATA is on Nvidia controller. I have Win XP installed on SCSI drive.
The other day I made an image of my SCSI drive with Ghost 9 just to test how does the software work when restoring that image to SATA drive.
I was able to sucessfully restore the image on SATA drive and evereything seemed to be working fine, my system boots without any problems.
Now the weird stuff comes in. System boots fine on SATA drive but when everything loads up, I see my SATA C drive as a removable drive as if it was an additional drive in my PC which you can just unplugg and remove. Somehow system is not recognizing that C drive as an integral part of hardware which you can not remove as any C drive should be.
That is very strange, I checked disk management in XP and everything seems to be fine with the drive, XP sees the drive as operating system drive and as primary partition.
But drive is not configured correctly. When I try to run a boot defrag of my C drive offline with Raxco Perfect Disk, it reports a conflict with drivers and it does not continue, just boots back into win XP.

Did anyone see anything like this? I have been trying to figure out the problem, I searched Google, Symantec and I could not find any information. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Drive C seen as removable drive-SCSI to SATA r
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 12:54am

capt2004,

Here is part of the answer.

Quote:
"PerfectDisk does not complete offline defragmenting when Norton Ghost 9.0 is installed
Situation:
Norton Ghost 9.0 and PerfectDisk are installed. When you run offline defragmenting, the process does not complete.
Solution:
This problem is caused by the Norton Ghost service. To resolve the problem, stop the Norton Ghost service before defragmenting offline with
PerfectDisk.
To stop the Norton Ghost service
1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type the following:
msconfig
3. Press Enter.
4. On the Services tab, uncheck Norton Ghost to stop the service.
5. Click Apply.
6. Click Close.
After running PerfectDisk, restart the Norton Ghost service.
To start the Norton Ghost Service
1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type the following:
msconfig
3. Press Enter.
4. On the Services tab, check Norton Ghost to start the service.
5. Click Apply.
6. Click Close."

IP Logged

capt2004
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 2:43pm

Thanks, I will try that and let you know.
That is my minor problem I think.
My major problem is that my drive C is not seen as integrated part of my system, I have no idea why it is seen as a removable hardware, as if you are able to simply remove it and unplug it. Actually I tried to remove it and windows restarts and then installs it again as a drive C. I have no problems whatsoever with booting into Win XP.
Does anyone have experience ghosting from one drive type to another? SCSI to SATA or SATA RAID to IDE for example?
Thanks,

IP Logged

capt2004
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 6:22pm

Hi,

Just a follow up on my latest post. The problem with Raxco was not due to Ghost 9, the problem was caused by the latest version of Zone Alarm software suite which I installed on my PC. I uninstalled Zone Alarm and I could again do boot defrag without problems with Raxco.
Now my only problem lies with restoring the image from SCSI to SATA drive correctly.
SATA drive C after image is restored from SCSI should not show as a removable hardware. I still can not figure that one out. I already checked boot.ini file and the problem is not there. Boot.ini is the same when I do a fresh install on SATA or SCSI.
So somehow the system is mounting that SATA drive incorrectly.
If anyone has any ideas I appreciate any help. Thanks.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 8:06pm

capt2004 wrote on Jun 30th, 2006 at 6:22pm:
"... So somehow the system is mounting that SATA drive incorrectly..."

I use a PCI-to-SATA adapter card in my Dell Dimension 8100 to host a Maxtor 120GB SATA HDD as my MASTER (with a Hitachi 60GB IDE HDD as my SLAVE). 
NO MATTER WHAT I DO - OR FAIL TO DO
, my XP Home system insists on categorizing the SATA HDD as a
SCSI device
when there is no hint of SCSI anywhere on the entire computer.  So, go figure - and consider that perhaps the SATA HDD is being mistakenly identified as yet another SCSI device.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

capt2004
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 9:58pm

Hi,

I just uninstalled Ghost 9 and installed Ghost 2003 and the same happens when I create an image with Ghost 2003 of my SCSI drive and restore that image on SATA drive.
Everything is working well, XP start without any problem, programs do not report any errors.
The only damn thing is that SATA drive C is seen as a hardware which can be removed and if you try to remove it and boot XP after that, XP will restart and then reinstall it back again.
There must be a setting in the registry or something that is somehow making XP see this drive as removable.
If anyone has any ideas, they are all welcome. I can test on my computer whaever you suggest since I am just building my OS and programs. thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 12:12am

capt2004

Please clarify:

Quote:
The only damn thing is that SATA drive C is seen as a hardware which can be removed and if you try to remove it and boot XP after that, XP will restart and then reinstall it back again.

Are you saying:

a.  you shut the system down, remove (disconnect) the SATA HDD, reconnect the SATA HDD, boot the system, and XP boots that same as it did before?

or....

b.  your system is up and running, you *hot swap* remove (disconnect) the SATA HDD and do not re-connect it, and then re-boot, XP boots fine?

or....?

How exactly are you performing the Ghost procedure:

Quote:
The other day I made an image of my SCSI drive with Ghost 9 just to test how does the software work when restoring that image to SATA drive.
I was able to sucessfully restore the image on SATA drive and evereything seemed to be working fine, my system boots without any problems.

1.  You made an image of the SCSI HDD--saved it where?

2.  Are both HDD hooked up to the system when you create the image?

3.  You restored the image to the SATA HDD--was this done from within WinXP and both drives seen by the WinXP OS before and after the restore of the image?

4.  Are you then removing the SCSI HDD and booting to WinXP from the SATA HDD?

5.  Are you having to change the boot drive in the BIOS?

Quote:
SCSI is on LSI Logic 1020/1030 controller and SATA is on Nvidia controller.

Doing a Google search:  
SATA Nvidia controller hot swappable
, apparently certain Nvidia SATA controllers support *hot swapping* of SATA HDD's--thus, maybe it's correct for them to be listed as *removable*!

Check out your documentation for your Nvidia SATA controller.

I.  If you wipe the SATA and install it as a secondary HDD on the system, booting from the SCSI HDD to WinXP--is the SATA still listed as *removeable*?

II.  How are you determining which HDD you are booting WinXP from if they are both showing as C:\ drive--does this mean you are removing one or the other HDD, and they are never on the system at the same time--and they are identical copies of each other--other than the SATA vs SCSI type and probably size?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

capt2004
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 10:30am

Hi Nightowl,

These are the answers to your questions:

Quote:The only damn thing is that SATA drive C is seen as a hardware which can be removed and if you try to remove it and boot XP after that, XP will restart and then reinstall it back again. 

I remove the hardware from XP directly. I go into the removable storage screen (green arrow button seen in the taskbar on the right), doble click it and remove the hard drive from there. Xp says it needs to restart because hardware has changed. It restarts and when it comes up again, it again installs the same drive as removable. Nothing changes.
I am not disconneting the SATA drive. I disconnected SCSI drive when I finished restoring its image to SATA drive. So I only have connected SATA drive in the system. When only SATA drive is connected in the system and image from SCSI has been restored on that SATA drive, then this problem ocurrs. SATA drive is seen as removable storage.
When I try to do a fresh install of XP on my SATA drive (only 1 SATA drive connected) it installs XP well and Drive C is behaving as it should, it is not seen as removable storage.

Regarding Ghost procedure:

.  You made an image of the SCSI HDD--saved it where?
Image of SCSI drive is saved on external firewire drive connected to the PC.

2.  Are both HDD hooked up to the system when you create the image?
When I create the image, only SCSI is hooked to the system and external firewire drive.

3.  You restored the image to the SATA HDD--was this done from within WinXP and both drives seen by the WinXP OS before and after the restore of the image?
To restore the image, I first disconnect SCSI drive and connect only SATA drive to the system. External firewire drive is connected and running. I boot with Ghost CD and then restore the image from external firewire into SATA drive connected.

4.  Are you then removing the SCSI HDD and booting to WinXP from the SATA HDD?
Yes, I remove SCSI immediately before I restore my image to SATA.

5.  Are you having to change the boot drive in the BIOS?
I change the boot order in BIOS and I shutdown SCSI controller so only SATA controller is active when I boot into SATA drive where I just restored the image.

I do not think SATA drive should be listed as removable when you restore SCSI image to it, especially since it is the only drive connected to the system. Drive C should never be listed as removable as far as I know when it is the only drive connected to the system.

Regarding your question:
I.  If you wipe the SATA and install it as a secondary HDD on the system, booting from the SCSI HDD to WinXP--is the SATA still listed as *removeable*?
No, if I have SCSI drive as bootable and SATA drive as secondary, then SATA drive is not seen as removable. It is seen as a normal drive in the system, not listed as removable storage.

Regading your last question, you are right, drives are never on the system at the same time and they are identical copies of each other--other than the SATA vs SCSI type and probably size - SCSI is 73GB and SATA is 250GB. When I restore the image with Ghost to SATA I extend the SCSI partition to a complete size of SATA drive so all 250 GB from SATA drive are used.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 11:10am

capt2004

Quote:
I go into the removable storage screen (green arrow button seen in the taskbar on the right), doble click it and remove the hard drive from there. Xp says it needs to restart because hardware has changed. It restarts and when it comes up again, it again installs the same drive as removable. Nothing changes.

This behavior seems *normal*--when you use this feature, it is to make sure that any *write behind* caching is *flushed* before you disconnect the device.  If you do not physically disconnect the device, it will be re-detected upon re-boot.

Quote:
I am not disconneting the SATA drive. I disconnected SCSI drive
when I finished restoring
its image to SATA drive. So I only have connected SATA drive in the system. When only SATA drive is connected in the system and
image from SCSI
has been restored on that SATA drive, then this problem ocurrs. SATA drive is seen as removable storage.

This statement seems at odds with this later statement:

Quote:
To restore the image, I
first disconnect SCSI drive
and connect only SATA drive to the system. External firewire drive is connected and running. I boot with Ghost CD and then
restore the image from external firewire
into SATA drive connected.

I suspect it's a *typo* error--but you say two different scenarios here.

Quote:
When I try to do a fresh install of XP on my SATA drive (only 1 SATA drive connected) it installs XP well and Drive C is behaving as it should, it is not seen as removable storage.

Well, that doesn't give us a consistent response.

You're definitely using *images*, and not *Copy Drive* (grasping at straws here  Wink )?

Quote:
I disconnected SCSI drive when I finished restoring its image to SATA drive.

Once you have the image on the firewire HDD and you are re-booting to the Ghost CD, are you first going into the BIOS and disabling the SCSI controller and enabling the SATA controller--and then transferring the image--or are you making those changes in the BIOS after the image is transferred?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

capt2004
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 12:24pm

Quote:
Once you have the image on the firewire HDD and you are re-booting to the Ghost CD, are you first going into the BIOS and disabling the SCSI controller and enabling the SATA controller--and then transferring the image--or are you making those changes in the BIOS after the image is transferred?

I am first going into the BIOS and disabling the SCSI controller and enabling the SATA controller--and then transferring the image.
Anyway, I am not really sure if SCSI controller needs to be disabled. Since SCSI disc is not connected it should not matter if SCSI controller is disabled or not.

Here is the steps of the procedure:

1. Only SCSI disk is connected and firewire disk turned on -> I make the image of SCSI disc and save it to Firewire.
2. I turn off the PC, disconnect SCSI disk and connect SATA disc. Firewire disk is still turned on.
3. I boot with Norton CD and look up the image on firewire disc. I then select to restore that image on SATA.
4. After image is restored on SATA I boot normally into XP with only SATA connected and firewire disk turned on.
5. I remove the firewire disk from XP and SATA which is drive C now is still showing as a removable storage.

I know how removable storage works, I have some years of experience with XP, I am not a beginner with PCs. I did many copies of disk to disk, imaging and restoration on my old PC where I only have IDE disks. I had no problems there whatsoever.

With this new PC I think the problem is mixing of drives. I am pretty sure if I would do a clean install on SATA drive (without connecting SCSI), make an image of it and try to restore to the same drive, I would not have the problem.

Let me know if you get any other ideas. I am suspecting the problem might be in the registry, I still did not figure it out. thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print