Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restoring Disk Image to Larger Disk (Read 2040 times)
damienb
Ex Member

Restoring Disk Image to Larger Disk
Jul 4th, 2006 at 8:06pm

I have Ghost 2002, which I periodically use to create a disk (not partition) image that I store on another disk in a removable rack.

Yesterday my main disk -- 40MB -- began to sound like it might die soon, so I decided to get a new 40MB disk to replace it. But when I was checking out the WD400JB 40MB drive, I noticed that they sell the 80MB version of the drive for just $3 more (!), so I figured that even though I'm currently using only 28.7GB of my 40MB, why not get the 80MB disk for future expansion room.

Then it occurred to me that when I restore the Ghost image of my 40MB onto the new 80MB disk, I might wind up with only 40MB (used + available) -- i.e., rather than 80MB.

Is that normally correct? If so, is there some way I could get Ghost to make the full 80MB available, in the same partition?

By the way, I seem to remember reading years ago that the real-world disk access speed of a larger disk will be greater than that of a smaller disk. As long as I still have less than 40 MB of data, is there any disadvantage of using a 80MB disk rather than a 40MB?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Restoring Disk Image to Larger Disk
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 11:35pm

damienb

I used Ghost 2002 only briefly--and a long time ago--so I don't really remember the details--but I suspect it works much the same as Ghost 2003 in this regards--it should offer to use the whole 80 GB of the new HDD when you restore the image of the 40 GB HDD.  At least on Ghost 2003, it offers you the option of changing the size after if first suggests using the whole HDD size available.

Quote:
is there any disadvantage of using a 80MB disk rather than a 40MB?

You will be tempted to put more on it  Wink !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print