Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Windows Explorer:  Slow (Read 24750 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Windows Explorer:  Slow
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 9:45am

Brian, (1) concerning your comments in Reply #11 (“The Symantec site indicated that definitions for this malware had been available for over a year”), are you saying that there is a problem with LiveUpdate not downloading or maintaining the most recent virus definitions?  Did you try to use Symantec’s Intelligent Updater rather than LiveUpdate?  How did you get the virus definition file that was successful in identifying the malware?

(2) Can you kindly provide information on the files which are indicative of the presence of the malware ("I looked back at images taken over the few weeks prior to our problem and the malware files were present but were not being detected by NAV on the weekly scans")?

(3) When using the WindowsShiftKey+E method to launch Windows Explorer, the delay occurs on the first as well as all subsequent attempts.  The delay also occurs whether or not a Windows Explorer window is already open.  However, using the “program shortcut” method to launch Windows Explorer (see Reply #8 ) seems to consistently result in Windows Explorer appearing quickly.

Ghost4me, concerning the clearing of MRU items, Microsoft has made available a registry script to do this task (see “ClearMRU.reg” in the article Customizing Your PC with the Windows XP Registry).  Ad-Aware SE Professional can also be used to detect and clear MRU items.

Please keep the ideas coming.  More “detective work” yet to be done . . . .

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 3:56pm

Ghost4me, for your reference, you may be interested in ShellExView, a free tool to investigate context-menu problems in Windows Explorer.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 4:11pm

Quote:
Brian, (1) concerning your comments in Reply #11 (“The Symantec site indicated that definitions for this malware had been available for over a year”), are you saying that there is a problem with LiveUpdate not downloading or maintaining the most recent virus definitions?  Did you try to use Symantec’s Intelligent Updater rather than LiveUpdate?  How did you get the virus definition file that was successful in identifying the malware?

I mainly use LiveUpdate and the definitions in my computers are always current. Occasionally I try Intelligent Updater. LiveUpdate would be responsible for the definitions that identified the malware.

Quote:
(2) Can you kindly provide information on the files which are indicative of the presence of the malware ("I looked back at images taken over the few weeks prior to our problem and the malware files were present but were not being detected by NAV on the weekly scans")?

Sorry. This is now very relevant but I didn't record the names. I can't be certain that these agents caused the problem with two of my computers but it's very likely. Two computers with the same Windows Explorer problem and the same malware.

In the case of cmdow.exe, it had definitely been in my computer for over a year. In two places. Symantec claim definitions have been available since Jan 2004. I've submitted cmdow.exe to online scans and only a few companies regard it as malware.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 6:12pm

Thanks, Brian, for the post.  I run LiveUpdate automatically upon Windows startup, and so my Norton AntiVirus definitions are always current.

Concerning my problem with Windows Explorer, I have run "sfc /scannow" and it reported no difficulities.  Additionally, I have re-registered Shell32.dll ("regsvr2 /i shell32.dll") as described here.  Unfortunately, the issue remains . . . .

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 7:10pm

Pleo, is your CPU on 100% while you are waiting for Windows Explorer to open? I think mine was.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 9:42pm

No, Brian - there is little (if any) disk activity between the time Windows Explorer is launched (using WindowsShiftKey+E) and the time the application appears, and the CPU usage is minimal during this 30-second interval.
The subjective appearance of the system is that Windows Explorer is "waiting" for something, and after a time-out criterion is reached, it starts.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 12:41am

Pleonasm

There seem to be some interesting *clues* here--but I'm not sure what to make of them.

You said you have a backup that pre-dates when the problem began--so you must have some good idea of when this started--what changes in the system occurred just before the problem started--install of some new program, Windows Update, other program updates......? ? ? ?

I wonder how the *WindowsShiftKey+E* keyboard shortcut differs from using the *“program shortcut” method*--is there a registry key that defines how the keyboard shortcut acts?

On my system the *WindowsShiftKey+E* opens *My Computer* with it's own view of the system, while the *program shortcut* for Windows Explorer has this command--*%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe*--and it opens Windows Explorer focused on *My Documents*--so the two commands are not exactly the same function call!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #22 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 1:06am

Pleonasm

This is an interesting article that discusses using
ProcessExplorer

from Sysinternals.com to see what's going on while waiting for Windows Explorer to delete an *in use* file--maybe you could use this to see what's taking place while there's a delay in the opening of Windows Explorer:

Eliminating Explorer's delay when deleting an in-use file

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Windows Explorer:  Slow
Reply #23 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 1:25am

Pleonasm

Also found this on *Kelleys Korner's* website, across for the item #157 in the right column--*
Prevent Delay Opening My Computer/Explorer
*:

Registry Edits for Windows XP

If you
download
the registry *tweak*, and open it with *Notepad*, you see the following:

Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\stisvc]
"Start"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoRemoteRecursiveEvents"=dword:00000001

Maybe this could help?!

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #24 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 11:19am

Building upon the observations of NightOwl, it seems that there are really two fundamental problems occurring.

Problem #1:
  WindowsKey+E launches Windows Explorer with about a 30 second delay, whereas invoking Windows Explorer through other methods results in an immediate launch (e.g., using “Start -> My Computer”, or clicking on a program shortcut to “C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,"C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents").
    Therefore, the root cause of the problem may not be with Windows Explorer per se, but with the mapping of the WindowsKey+E keyboard shortcut to the Windows Explorer application.

Question:  How does Windows XP Pro SP2 “know” that the WindowsKey+E is associated with Windows Explorer?  Where is this information stored?
Problem #2:
  When using Windows Explorer, clicking on a document associated with Office 2003 applications (“*.DOC”, “*.XLS”, or “*.PPT”) results in about a 30-45 second delay before the application is launched and the document is loaded and appears.  However, if an Office application is invoked directly (through the “Start -> All Programs” menu), it starts promptly; and if the document is then selected from within the application (using “File -> Open”), it opens instantly.  Additionally, clicking on other non-Office document types (e.g., “*.PDF”) within Windows Explorer operate as expected, immediately opening the application with the document loaded.
    Therefore, it appears that the association between Office 2003 files types (“*.DOC”, “*.XLS”, or “*.PPT”) and the corresponding applications have been corrupted.
With the above analysis in mind, what troubleshooting steps might you recommend?

P.S.:  NightOwl, thanks for the ideas in Reply #22 and #23.  I’ll take a look, and report back.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #25 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 4:14pm

NightOwl, the registry edits documented in Reply #23 are designed to (A) disable Autoplay on removable drives, (B) disable “net crawl” functionality (same as Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options –> View -> “Automatically search for network folder and printers”), and to (C) bypass possible problems with mapped network drives.  Since the issues I have described occur without removable media present in the floppy/optical drives and the PC is not on a network, I don’t see that the registry edits are applicable.  Nonetheless, it was good troubleshooting idea, and I appreciate the suggestion.

One idea to correct the “WindowKey+E” problem is to use the AutohotKey utility to explicitly “reprogram” that key combination to launch Windows Explorer as illustrated in the technique described here.

Concerning your comment in Reply #21 about “what changes in the system occurred just before the problem started”, I can’t be 100% sure, but I believe the most recent Windows XP updates (issued on July 11th and including several critical security updates for the Office 2003 applications) may be the instigating factor.  I also upgraded from Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.5 to version 5.0 and from Macromedia Flash Player 8 to version 9; however, these are probably fairly benign alternations.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #26 - Jul 21st, 2006 at 9:32am

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #27 - Jul 21st, 2006 at 12:02pm

Ghost4me, thanks again for the troubleshooting idea.  I have not used ShellExView (see Reply #16) , but will give it a try if some of the hypotheses I have yet to test prove to be false.

By way of an update, concerning “Problem #2” (see Reply #24) with Office 2003, I have tested the following (but with no positive impact).
  • Running “CHKDSK /R” and "sfc /scannow" did not reveal any problems.
  • Running "winword /unregserver" followed by "winword /regserver" (and the same for "excel" and "powerpnt") has not corrected the problem.
  • Running "Detect and Repair" on the Help Menu from Word and from Excel did not correct the problem.
  • Running "Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Microsoft Office 2003, Change, Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation" did not correct the problem.
More information to follow . . . .

IP Logged

Kool
Dude

Reply #28 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 5:12am

I had a similar problem, not exactly the same but in case it helps...

I have a laptop with a single 100Gb Drive. There are two partitions, Drive C: 40Gb; Drive D: 60Gb. Both use NTFS.

Recently, in Explore when clicking on Drive D: it's been taking an age to display the folders and files in the right pane.

I created a shortcut to the top level folder that I use most and this opened instantly. Eventually I decided to try to fix the problem and discovered that Drive D: was almost full, just 2.6Gb free space.

I deleted some  redundant files (a backup of an old hard drive) and now have 17Gb free. The drive now opens instantly.

I also decided to lower the Windows "Restore" from 12% of disk size, some 7Gb, to 2Gb. I was not too sure that this was really needed for a data partition but figured I could spare 2Gb!

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #29 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 2:42pm

Golden Rule of Troubleshooting

"Whenever you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Arthur Conan Doyle

Much to my surprise and chagrin, the root source of the problems documented in this thread is the installation of a new sound card driver.  Reverting to the original driver solved both the difficulties (A) with the Windows+E keyboard shortcut and (B) with the launching of Office 2003 applications by clicking on a file name within Windows Explorer.  (Who would have guessed?)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print