Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GHOST 10 ARCHIVE to ext USB  error msg (Read 53933 times)
hankp
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Phoenix , AZ

GHOST 10 ARCHIVE to ext USB  error msg
Jul 22nd, 2006 at 7:05pm

Problem: Trying to archive a recovery point set from internal hard drive partition to an external MAXTOR One Touch II USB2 drive. Get error mesage below (EBAB0013) and if I click OK again , I get EOB0118 The file G:\C_Drive001.v2i is in use.

The file is on an internal logical drive H: , I am trying to archive it on G: external. 

I did two re-installs of GHOST10 , (one where I kept the settings etc as they suggest) , the other a total re-install including deleting all files on the H: drive.

I disabled Norton AV in both cases. I left the Maxtor external USB drive connected and on in both cases during reboot . Also tried closing and reopening GHOST with ext drive connected. 

Trying to archive exactly as the book says , starting page 77 ,get same error message EBAB0013 in both cases.
"Test that safeguards intergrity of the program failed unexpectedly.

Precondition Failed.FileAccess::LinkFileAccessor:.\Path.cpp(775):!path.empty []

Ran Live Update after installs-it says all my Norton programs are up to date. My GHOST 10 version is VER 10.0.0.8400

Any hints -thoughts ?

Hankp

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: GHOST 10 ARCHIVE to ext USB  error msg
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 10:03pm

IP Logged

hankp
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Phoenix , AZ

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 10:41pm

El-Pescador --Thanks for reply -

I had read all of those messages in some of my searches this afternoon.  I also read just about all of your journey through getting Ghost 2003 to work with an external USB drive. Quite a journey !

But none of these refernced messages  really address why you buy a program and then it does not do what it says it will do in the manual ! I can do the copies of the .v2i files fine and put them on the external USB drive as Brian suggests. Bing somewhat bull headed I would just like to understand why I have to do all sorts of work arounds .

Maybe the guys with the pitch it in the wastebasket are right , but I am not quite there yet - but getting  closer !

Anyhow thanks for the references -- Hankp

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 11:39pm

hankp wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 10:41pm:
Maybe the guys with the pitch it in the wastebasket are right , but I am not quite there yet - but getting  closer !

I like Ghost 9 and 10 but I prefer Ghost 9. One of my reasons is that it lets you move images manually without complaining. I think Ghost 10 has over complicated some quite simple functions. Maybe to help beginners, but I doubt it has worked.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 9:30am

hankp, as soon as you define your Ghost 10 backups as "Recovery Point Sets", then Ghost maintains a catalogue of what drive is being backed up, and where the backup is stored.  That is why there is strict control of placement, and movement of any backups.  After all, at some time in the future, you would tell Ghost to restore to a specific point in time, and Ghost will then have to figure out from the catalogue of base and incrementals and timestamps where to find everything.  I think you can see why Ghost is particular; it has to be to successfully restore.

That is one reason I don't use Recovery Point Sets and that I only use "Independent Recovery Point".  I am in control and responsible for locations, not Ghost.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

hankp
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Phoenix , AZ

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 3:22pm

Ghost4me - Good points .  Its the argument between how much/what control a user wants and how much control a program has and they don't often mesh well.

Last night I copied  a v2i file to the external HD from my internal store location and today I am going to see what I run into when I try to restore from that file.

I am also going to move my My Documents files/Outlook Express to their own partition- so I can establish op system/programs on one partition and files on another.

I had been reluctant to do so but found a forum last night that says the "hooks" stay in place when you just move folders in WXP. (I know about the hoops you have to go through to move and find OutlookExpress files) Then I should be set - I will just  do it myself like you say !

Thanks for all the help

Hankp

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 5:30pm

hankp wrote on Jul 23rd, 2006 at 3:22pm:
I am also going to move my My Documents files/Outlook Express to their own partition- so I can establish op system/programs on one partition and files on another.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=49222

Christer has written this excellent guide.

Also see

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11367...

re Tasks, Advanced Recovery.

IP Logged

hankp
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Phoenix , AZ

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 6:58pm

Brian -

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=49222 is the site I found and printed out last night. 
I suspected this was true but good to see it written out  !
Had already figured outv the Outlook Express trip. 

I guess you are referring to this in the networked thread. I just have a local ext USB not networked but this part seems to apply.

Back to computer 1. On clicking “Recover My Computer” there was the Recovery point again. But on trying to restore there was an error because the file couldn’t be found. As expected. So from the “Recover My Computer” window I clicked “Open”, navigated to the folder now containing the moved image and it didn’t show in the window. The window was blank. I then clicked Tasks, Advanced Recovery, navigated to the folder and there was the image ready to be restored.   

I mention this because unless you have created the image in computer 2 from Ghost 10 (computer 1), it will not be found by “Recover My Computer” unless you do Tasks, Advanced Recovery

Just saw this mesage as I was getting ready to shut down and try the recovery.

Thanks - hankp

IP Logged

hankp
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Phoenix , AZ

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 8:02pm

Brian, Ghost4me, NightOwl
Well thanks to you folks I think I have beat this thing into submission. I have made three successful  restores of my operating system/program partition and numerous restores of my data.

1. As long as I start with a clean drive (either by formatting or by writing zeros to it) and I restore to it , and :

2. Never let the computer re-boot until I disconnect the original source master and connect the new drive as master - it simply boots - no issues - no playing with anything.

Finally - I found buried on my PartitionMagic 8.0 CD a utility called DataKeeper - which does exactly what I wanted - it monitors my data files continuously and  keeps an update of any new or altered files . I can either put those incrememtal updates on my external USB as "primary " or on my internal second hard drive as "secondary" and the neat thing is if I don't turn on the external USB drive , it automatically puts the files on the internal second hard drive and when I turn on the external it moves the files there .

I only have it looking at my documents /data /picture files - not the OS/Program  partition - I will do that manually with GHOST10  - or possibly let GHOST10 make a new image whenever I start to install a new program or patch etc.

I was surprised I could find nothing on this forum about the DataKeeper - but maybe my searches just were not parsed right .

And one of you thought there was an update on Symantec for PartitionMagic 8.0 - I could not find any sign of one -

Thanks to all -

Hankp

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 9:36pm

hankp wrote on Jul 26th, 2006 at 8:02pm:
1. As long as I start with a clean drive (either by formatting or by writing zeros to it) and I restore to it , and :

2. Never let the computer re-boot until I disconnect the original source master and connect the new drive as master - it simply boots - no issues - no playing with anything.

Are you restoring image backups or doing Copy My Hard Drive?

IP Logged

hankp
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Phoenix , AZ

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 9:41pm

Brian - I am restoring image backups - Ghost4me and NightOwl pretty much nudged me that direction and after trying it a few times  I decided it was as good as or better than drive copy.

Hankp

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 9:44pm

I agree. Your previous statements made me think you were doing Copy My Hard Drive. I don't have to do your points 1 and 2 when restoring an image. I wonder where we differ.

IP Logged

hankp
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Phoenix , AZ

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 11:28pm

Brian -

Did not mean to infer this was the only way to restore. It is just what I did because I had a couple  hard drives that had other data on them that I wanted to remove then make a bootable drive with that version of the OS. I have not gotten to the point of absolute trust in my own ability of being able to restore - so I like to keep a drive or two that I can just plug in and boot and at least use email/internet . That has saved my bacon several times . I ALWAYS  have kept my data backed up but have not done the same with the OS/programs until now.

This whole thing started when I got nailed by a conflict between Microsoft updates and Norton AV in mid June - and I wanted to learn how to avoid that ever again.

I HATE to have to start from scratch and do a re-install of WXP and all my  programs /settings/preferences etc etc . I do not anticipate ever having to do that again - assuming my short term memory does not fail me ! I have copious notes from this episode.

I have  in fact made  restores of the OS to a primary partition that already existed  but had to alter the boot.ini to see  the drive, or sometimes run fixmbr depending on what existed or if I zigged when I should have zagged.

One of these days I may try a more normal restore but right now I am burned out and have other things I want to work on !

Again thanks to all for all the help - especially the eurekas and the patience in getting me out of the mess I had. I am in better shape than I have ever been now , having the confidence to do several things I had wanted to do but was reluctant to try.

Hankp

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 12:57am

hankp

Thanks for the feedback--I'd say that's another *success story* here on the Rad Forums--take care and don't be a stranger!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 2:03am

hankp,

OK. I now understand what you were doing. I mistakenly assumed you were restoring images to the master HD. Your confidence seems fine to me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print