Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost backup of folder or copy and paste? (Read 10401 times)
moocha
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost backup of folder or copy and paste?
Jul 23rd, 2006 at 4:03pm

What is the diff?  I have a single folder that holds the projects I work on.  I've been copying and pasting this folder once and a while for backup. What's the diff between this and a Ghost backup of just this folder?

TIA

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost backup of folder or copy and paste?
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 4:15pm

moocha

Quote:
a Ghost backup of just this folder?

What flavor Ghost are you using--Ghost, at least up through Ghost 2003 and corporate 8.xx, can only back up whole partitions and not individual files or folders--but you can restore individual files and folders from those partition images.

Ghost's original purpose was to restore or duplicate whole HDD's and not individual files or folders.  I think the newest product from Symantec that offers file and folder backups is no longer referred to as *Ghost*--it's now *Save and Restore*.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

moocha
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 2:33pm

Hi-Thanks Nightowl.  Yeah, the main thing is my OS/Programs backup and I've got that down.  But I have a project folder(music writing data) that constantly is added to.  Isn't copy and paste  the same as a full Ghost backup for just one folder?  I now have Ghost 9 and 10 and of course 2002 and 3.  I say this 'cause I see posters giving up "incremental" and just doing full backups on data once a week.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 3:39pm

Moocha, if the folder of interest is on the same drive that is being backed-up by Ghost, then the contents of the original folder and that of the folder within the Ghost image will be identical.  You can verify this yourself by mounting the Ghost image (version 9 or 10) as a virtual drive and running FolderMatch to compare the two folders.

If you are doing a manual cut-and-paste of the folder for backup, be sure (of course) that the destination is on a different physical hard disk drive than the source.  This will protect you in the event that the source hard disk drive becomes defective.  Also, if you have not already done so, you should incorporate off-site storage as a component of your backup strategy.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

moocha
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 2:20pm

Thanks Pleonasm. Yes it's on another drive.

Moocha

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print