Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
restore OS from an image to the same drive (Read 52201 times)
manman
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: restore OS from an image to the same drive
Reply #15 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 5:24am

Thank you for all posts. I need some time to read & try.
For now, I tried to find out information about partitions. MBRWizard said so:

Disk: 3   Size=117G
Pos MBRndx Type/Name  Size Active Hide Start Sector   Sectors
--- ------ ---------- ---- ------ ---- ------------ ------------
0    0    07-NTFS    6.0G   Yes   No            63   12,289,662
1    1    0F-EXTEND  111G   No    No    12,289,725  227,817,765

(Well, at this moment I have another 3 disks, one with OS2 and another 2 disks, without any OS on them. So, I wont list them here)

It seems to be no problem here.

Thank tou again. I shall post the results.

IP Logged

manman
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 6:46am

Partinfo - results for HDD1:

---------------
I condider myself a power user, I know HTML, but I cant insert yet a simple image !!

this does not work:
Code:

[img]C:\partinfo.gif[/img]
[img]C://partinfo.gif[/img]

with or without quotas

can i attach files?

in the help i did not find anything. Amazing userfriendliness... Sad

IP Logged

manman
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 7:32am

================================================================================
==

Disk 0:  117240.0 Megabytes

============================= Partition Information ==============================

Volume        Partition                         Partition        Start     Total

Letter:Label  Type            Status   Size MB  Sector     #     Sector    Sectors

------------- --------------- -------- -------- ---------- - ---------- ----------

NTFS            Pri,Boot   6000.8          0 0         63   12289662

ExtendedX       Pri      111239.1          0 1   12289725  227817765

EPBR            Log       89000.7       None -   12289725  182273490

NTFS            Log       89000.7   12289725 0   12289788  182273427

EPBR            Log       22238.4   12289725 1  194563215   45544275

NTFS            Log       22238.4  194563215 0  194563278   45544212

It seems to be OK until now, isnt it?

Later edit:
I read some of the articles you posted, and I think that the problem is with MBR & offset (and the registry of WinXP). So, I am going to try to change tge registry of the restored image. I hope this work. Thank tou very much for the links.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #18 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 9:16am

manman

You have to have your images hosted online and use that online location to pull in the image with this forum's software.

Several folks have given *thumbs up* to the
Photobucket
that apparently will host your images for free.

Actually, from your postings above, it *does* appear that you have a partition problem--at least as posted--I'll explain more below.

Here's the *boot.ini* you claim is present on your HDD after restoring the image:

Quote:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

But both MBRWizard and PartInfo say your primary boot partition is #1, and not #3!  The ARC path in *boot.ini* does not use the alphabetical order of drive letter assignments to determine the boot partition--it uses the order as specified in the MBR partition table.

You never mentioned in your reports of your system that the drive letters are not listed in the order of the physical layout of your HDD partitions.

But, I know for a fact, that Ghost 2003 may edit the *boot.ini* (in the background--and in my opinion *behind my back*!--I can find nowhere in the documentation that this happens--but I have documented it), and Ghost 2003 may adjust the *partition(x)* to be what it needs to be--and it works okay--unless your partition table (like mine) is not in sequential order--then Ghost 2003 can really mess things up!

You need to run this program,
TeraByte Unlimited Freeware--look for
EditBINI
, from DOS and confirm what the *boot.ini* file says.

Based on your posts, it should be *partition(1)*--so, if Ghost 2003 did not change it behind your back (or did not change it correctly), you will need to adjust that--the above program should allow you to edit the *boot.ini*.

But, as mentioned in my reply #12 above, I believe you will also have to deal with drive letters that have been re-assigned.

Report back with the results.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #19 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 9:55am

manman

Do you have any idea what the physical layout of partitions C, E, F, and G were in this *State 1*--and were the partitions *primary* or *logical* in an extended partition?

Quote:
State 1:

Harddisk        Partitions
-----------------------------------------
HDD1:         C E F G        OS 1 (functional in this state)
HDD2:         D H I             OS 2 (functional)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #20 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 10:00am

Quote:
Based on your posts, it should be *partition(1)*--

NightOwl, I hope I am not adding more confusion here, but I think we're still not in possession of all the pertinent facts.

I think you are not making the correct distinction between the BOOT partition and the OPERATING SYSTEM partition. My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the active boot partition is the one that contains:
ntldr
ntdetec.com
boot.ini
This is the one that the hardware starts the boot process from.

Normally the Operating System (XP) is also on that same partition, but (as long as those 3 files are on the active one)
XP can just as easily be on one of the other partitions
! So, you can have the primary boot partition as the first one (C in most cases) and XP on E or F or G (on the same drive).

boot.ini (regardless of which partition it is read from initially) tells the operating system where to CONTINUE from that point forward.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 10:08am

Brian wrote on Jul 25th, 2006 at 2:00am:
Ghost4me introduced me to RegistryEditiorPE. John, do you think this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/

could be done with BartPE and the plugin? It can't be done from Windows here as Windows won't boot. Now that would be an interesting alternative to SavePart. The "G: drive" OS would need to be set active to be accessed by BartPE.

As I mentioned, the registry edit has to be done "offline".  Manman has never successfully booted from his current configuration so no one knows what the registry shows.  BartPE, ubcd4win, or others that have the offline Registry EditorPE can fix the problem (assuming I am correct that XP thinks the systembootdrive is F.)

(P.S. I hope Windows Vista isn't going to create a whole new round of dual boot (XP/Vista) "unstandard" configurations that create havoc for years afterwards!)

IP Logged

manman
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 10:38am

NightOwl wrote on Jul 25th, 2006 at 9:55am:
manman

Do you have any idea what the physical layout of partitions C, E, F, and G were in this *State 1*--and were the partitions *primary* or *logical* in an extended partition?

C was primary, and the other were extended (logical) partitions.

OK, I have tried with savepart. I have modified the offset written in the Windows registry, for the restored partition. I have 2 images of the same G:, so I have tried with each:
1. with an older partition (slightly different hardware configuration) - I did not work
2. With a newer partition (19 iul 2006) (practically the same hardware config.) - and.... IT WORKED.

So, this was the problem. The Windows'registry memorizes the HDDidentifier and the offset of each partition.
I made an image of the G, then I deleted G: (and some other partitions), and then recreted G. So, now, I have another offset, that is different from one marked in the Windows'registry.
Using savepart, I change the key in the registry (on the restored part.) and system works. It seems to be completelly functional.

I think this was the cause. But I could be wrong. If you think so, please tell me.

Thank you very much for all your posts. All your opinions were great for me.

IP Logged

manman
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 10:52am

John. wrote on Jul 25th, 2006 at 10:00am:
NightOwl, I hope I am not adding more confusion here, but I think we're still not in possession of all the pertinent facts.

I think you are not making the correct distinction between the BOOT partition and the OPERATING SYSTEM partition. My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the active boot partition is the one that contains:
ntldr
ntdetec.com
boot.ini
This is the one that the hardware starts the boot process from.

Normally the Operating System (XP) is also on that same partition, but (as long as those 3 files are on the active one)
XP can just as easily be on one of the other partitions
! So, you can have the primary boot partition as the first one (C in most cases) and XP on E or F or G (on the same drive).

boot.ini (regardless of which partition it is read from initially) tells the operating system where to CONTINUE from that point forward.

This is right I understand the things work, too. So I thnik the primary partition wont be necesarilly the same as the OS partition.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #24 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 10:57am

Ghost4me

Hmmmm....I stand corrected--you are right--the *boot.ini* may need to point to *partition(3)*--which is the second logical partition in the extended partition based on the *partinfo* information and using the information on how to *count*  and enumerate the partition number for the *partition(x)* in *boot.ini* explained here (
Editing the Boot.ini file using BTini
), that would make it *partition(3)*.

I was focused on *primary* partitions--my bad!

So, probably only needs to address the drive letter assignments using
SavePart--aka Partition Saving

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #25 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 11:09am

manman

Good to hear you have figured things out!

I've not personally used *SavePart*--when you bring up your drive letter assignment using that program--does it show drive letter "G" and the old partition id based on the old partition offset--and you have to *calculate* the new offset and input it?

Or, does it show the new offset partition id and you just have to tell it to make that drive letter "G"?

IP Logged

manman
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 11:51am

yes, it show the new offset partition id and you just have to tell it to make that drive letter "G" - you also point to the windows partition, so the program could ghange Windows registry. It works simple. You have nothing to manually calculate. Details:

http://damien.guibouret.free.fr/en/lisezmoi.html#Chapitre_11

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #27 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 1:14pm

manman wrote on Jul 25th, 2006 at 10:38am:
I have 2 images of the same G:, so I have tried with each:
1. with an older partition (slightly different hardware configuration) - I did not work
2. With a newer partition (19 iul 2006) (practically the same hardware config.) - and.... IT WORKED.

Glad to hear it is working again!

Ghost is not meant to restore images onto dissimilar hardware configuration, so #1 above doesn't surprise me.

Regarding #2 above ("practically the same...") I would surmise at this point that you had invalid or corrupted boot partition information.  You could probably have corrected it with the XP Recovery Console FIXBOOT command, but your use of the Save-Part probably did a similar fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #28 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 1:37pm

Looking more closely at the SavePart information, it appears it does more than just fix the partition boot record (fixboot command).  It looks like it also does an offline registry edit of XP, similar to what I mentioned in reply #9 previously.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #29 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 3:08pm

Brian

In your reply #14, you speculated that Dan Goodell's *Method #2* might solve manman's problem:

Quote:
I think this technique is likely to resolve manman's problem as well.

But, *Method #2* only forces WinXP to *forget* it's current drive letter assignments--and therefore upon re-boot, WinXP goes through the process of re-assigning drive letters.  This method really only works if the OS is on the default location C:\.

But that would not help manman because his OS drive letter needs to be *G:\*, and that would not have occurred during WinXP's re-assignment process unless by pure luck if he happened to have another HDD hooked up that caused WinXP to give that 3rd partition on that first HDD the drive letter G:\ !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print