Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
restore OS from an image to the same drive (Read 52063 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: restore OS from an image to the same drive
Reply #30 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 3:44pm

NightOwl,

I think you are correct. Scratch Method #2 here.

What do you think about my suggestion in Reply #13? Using SavePart is probably quicker and easier.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #31 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 4:47pm

Brian

Quote:
Ghost4me introduced me to RegistryEditiorPE. John, do you think this could be done with BartPE and the plugin? It can't be done from Windows here as Windows won't boot. Now that would be an interesting alternative to SavePart. The "G: drive" OS would need to be set active to be accessed by BartPE.

*SavePart* seems to make this so easy.  I'm not sure having to mess around with BartPE to get that registry editing plug-in working, setting a logical partition in an extended partition as *active*--is that possible?--, and then having to do the calculations to figure out the value needed to correct the value(s) in the registry calculated from the new partition's beginning offset and the disk ID--I'm not up to that myself  Grin I'll let SavePart do that, thank you  Wink !

However, I'd be interested if Ghost4me thinks he could accomplish this!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #32 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 5:57pm

NightOwl wrote on Jul 25th, 2006 at 4:47pm:
However, I'd be interested if Ghost4me thinks he could accomplish this!

I would agree that SavePart is the easiest automatic (assuming it works) way to go.  I don't think however it's necessary to calculate the offsets manually if you know what drive letter has changed and want to manually fix it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/

That is what the Microsoft article explains--how to rename the bad drive letter to the correct one.  Also agree if you don't already have RegistryEditorPE and bartPE or other software and are already comfortable with it, it's too much to digest, especially for someone not familiar with it.

Bottom line, I agree:  SavePart is nice.  (But, it's also nice to understand what it's doing.)

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #33 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 7:47pm

NightOwl wrote on Jul 25th, 2006 at 4:47pm:
*SavePart* seems to make this so easy.  I'm not sure having to mess around with BartPE to get that registry editing plug-in working, setting a logical partition in an extended partition as *active*--is that possible?--, and then having to do the calculations to figure out the value needed to correct the value(s) in the registry calculated from the new partition's beginning offset and the disk ID--I'm not up to that myself  Grin I'll let SavePart do that, thank you  Wink !

I think the offset calculations that you or SavePart are referring to relate to REBUILDING the partition table, and not just fixing a drive letter problem.

Another partition repair program that I am familiar with (but never had to restore or rebuild a partiion with) is called Partition Table Doctor.

http://www.ptdd.com/

There is a free demo version which I use because it allows you to backup your partition table.  Nice insurance to have.

Also nice tutorial here:
http://www.ptdd.com/recover-partition-table.htm

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #34 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 11:00pm

manman and everyone else

I know this thread has run its course--but if anyone is still looking--

I noticed something that shows what I had said earlier--that Ghost, behind the scene, adjusts the *boot.ini* file--and in manman's case, because his partition table was in order--and his layout was only for 4 partitions on the original, and 3 on the final, i.e. not too complicated--Ghost handled things okay.

Note, his original HDD state shows *G* as the 4th partition which is where his OS was installed:

Quote:
State 1:

Harddisk        Partitions
-----------------------------------------
HDD1:         C E F
G
      OS 1 (functional in this state)
HDD2:         D H I             OS 2 (functional)

manman, do you have Ghost 2003 installed in Windows?  If so you will have *Ghost Explorer* available.  If you were to open your Ghost image file and extract the *boot.ini* file to a *temp* folder, open it with Notepad, and I have to assume it will say:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(
)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

(If you do not have Ghost 2003 installed, but have the installation CD, you can find *Ghost Explorer* here:  

NORTON_GHOST X:\Install\Data.Cab\F1088_Ghostexp.exe

If I right-mouse-button click and select *Open with WinZip*, it opens in WinZip, and if I right-mouse-button click again, and select *Open*, I'm able to run that program from the installation CD.)

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out--I bet *boot.ini* would have been a problem if Ghost had not adjusted the partition statement to (
) for manman--I assume Ghost 9 and 10 do the same if you are changing the OS partition position when you are restoring it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 2:54am

I'm interested too as I have no experience with the Microsoft system of dual booting.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print