Send Topic Print
Ghost BootDisk WIKI (Read 6399 times)
jasmofo
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost BootDisk WIKI
Jul 27th, 2006 at 9:44am

hey guys,

I started a ghost boot disk wiki on my webserver.

the only thing on there right now is my mutlinic autodetecting boot cd. 

with enough help from everyone here I think we could create a great site for boot diskettes and CD's along with tutorials on how to use them.

the site is here...  http://wiki.supertitus.com ;

please feel free to email me or contact me via ICQ, MSN, or YAHOO if you are at all interested in helping with this.

email: titus@supertitus.com
MSN: jasmofo@hotmail.com
YAHOO:jasmofo

IP Logged

jasmofo
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost BootDisk WIKI
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 12:17pm

I am getting the notion that no one is interested?

I am willing to put a lot of work into this and provide all hosting and whatever else it may take (like giving the admins here access to the admin of the WIKI).

i think this would be a very good way to efficiently provide all our combined knowledge to help everyone out. 

this can be expanded into a lot more than just boot disks.

PLEASE...  any feed back would be great!

IP Logged

Tnelson
Dude

ghoster

OKC

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 1:01pm

looks good, this site is kinda small, probably wont get a lot of responses right away.  I can help, but i have had a bunch of issues myself, and dont really know enough to be of much use.

Local ghost long time user, working on netcasting.
Tne7  
IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 6:52pm

NightOwl has a great guide on creating boot disks.

http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html

IP Logged

jasmofo
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 7:33pm

there are tons of sites out there that have tutorials on creating boot disks... thats not what im talking about.

for instance... correct me if I am wrong... but I dont see anywhere, anything about creating a multi nic boot cd that auto detects your network card. 

anyone can find basics on creating a boot cd/dvd or other simple boot needs. 

I thought it would be  a good idea to have a simple to follow resource on booting various computers for ghosting purposes.  everything I know has come from the past 8yrs of researching and trial and error.  I could have saved myself HOURS and DAYS of headaches if there was a simple resource with logically collected experiences from other IT professionals or even home users. 

there is a lot of knowledge out there (as I can tell there is even more on this board) when it comes to ghost.  putting that knowledge together to create an amazing ghost resource web site would be benificial to soo many people. 

nothing against this site...  but most everything I have seen tutorial wise has been very basic and honestly...  hard to read with all of the google ads. 

I proposed a wiki because its something that EVERYONE can add  edit and all round make better. 

was only a thought...   if there is no interest...  please feel free to delete this thread.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 9:35pm

obviously it would be a great idea, but the problem, i think, is time, which is a scare commodity for most people, as you know.

it's like that movie: http://www.fieldofdreamsmoviesite.com/

if you build it, they will come
.  Smiley

when you have working code, lemme know and i'll drop a link to it into the ghost guide.

sorry about "all the google ads" .. trying to pay bills.

no one will delete your thread.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2006 at 2:13am

jasmofo

Your WIKI is an excellent resource.  It's obvious that you put a lot of work into its creation.

I am still looking over the code and will see how it works on my system shortly.  I may have to work through the *how to* add my own NIC DOS driver for one of my computer's NIC card.

But, in looking over the code, this is why folks are wary of networking--there are so many variables--and the boot files are not just a few lines that are easy to follow and figure out--several degrees of more complexity

You appear to have excellent knowledge of networking--which I admit that I have only cursory familiarity with at this point--and I think others here have limited experience--but are moving in that direction.

You appear to be impatient with the lack of response.  I'd advise patients--stick around here, and offer your insights into networking and using Ghost over a network--refer folks to your WIKI when the question warrants that as an answer.

Your WIKI is missing the *how to* apply it to using Ghost over the network--although it may be second nature and apparent to you--again, most are novices, and understanding how to set Ghost up to use with your boot disk would be a helpful addition.

Also, how is the network address being assigned for each NIC--I'm not sure I see where that happens in the various boot files--could you explain that?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print