Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imaging and Restoring with boot dvd's? (Read 7409 times)
hunterr3
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Imaging and Restoring with boot dvd's?
Jul 31st, 2006 at 9:33am

Hi im working on creating an image with standard aplications so i can just boot off a dvd of the image with a blank new harddrive for distribution.  I am having trouble making the images im sending to the dvd using ghost 10  bootable.
im currently using the 14 test version of it becouse i wanted to make sure it works for my needs before i purchase it.

Send some light my way please
Thanks
Ryan

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Imaging and Restoring with boot dvd's?
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 10:04am

Hunterr3, it appears that your objective may be better suited to the use of one component of the ‘corporate’ (rather than retail) version of Ghost 10:  Symantec LiveState Delivery.

P.S.:  Note that the license agreement for Ghost 10 prohibits its use on more than one PC.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

hunterr3
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 10:11am

yes im just testing this for now and realy would hope to fix the problem with not being able to boot of the dvd's im making

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 1:37pm

hunterr3

Quote:
I am having trouble making the images im sending to the dvd using ghost 10  bootable.

I believe Ghost 10 (and Ghost 9) do not support creating a bootable optical disc like the previous DOS based Ghost programs did (Ghost 2003 and corporate Ghost 7.5 and 8.xx).

You have to use a Ghost 10 Recovery Disk, that boots to the Ghost Recovery Environment--and then you could access a Ghost image stored on an optical disc.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

hunterr3
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 1:41pm

Realy? theres no way to boot from an image created with ghost? why would they take away such a good tool...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 3:45pm

hunterr3

Quote:
why would they take away such a good tool...

Unfortunately, Symantec has followed a new path (hot imaging--where you do not have to boot to DOS) for the *consumer retail* versions of Ghost--the corporate versions continue up through v8.xx (which is still supported)--still use DOS as the functional OS (except, there is a *Ghost32.exe*--version 8.xx that works in a command box under Windows--but can not image the OS partition under which it is running!)

The current latest version (what would have been Ghost 11) is no longer called *Ghost*, but *Save and Restore*--which I think is appropriate--Ghost origins was a HDD imaging tool--Symantec has made it more of a *Backup Program*

Most likely, this was done to discourage *file sharing* of the Ghost exe file for running under DOS without purchasing a license--activation of Ghost 10 is required.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

hunterr3
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 6:32am

If that is so then do you know another software that will still do good disk imaging...I dont exactly care about the hot imaging thing since i can live without using my computer for the duration of an image. i just want to be able to stick an image on identicle brand new hardware setups and have it work...without having to install windows first

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 8:55am

Hhunterr3, I believe it would be worthwhile to add another perspective onto the comments provided by NightOwl in Reply #5.
  • The most current enterprise imaging products sold by Symantec do in fact use ‘hot imaging’ rather than a DOS-based approach.  This suite of tools in the corporate environment is promoted under the label “Backup Exec” and “LiveState”.
  • Norton Save & Restore is a package of two tools in one:  (1) a file backup utility plus (2) Ghost 10.  All of the imaging functionality of Ghost 10 is contained therein.  So, it still very much an imaging tool and not simply a “backup program.”
To learn more about hot imaging, you may wish to visit this thread.

IP Logged

hunterr3
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 9:06am

So are you saying with 10 i can make a bootable copy of a dvd image for distributing in my office?  becouse essentialy that is my question

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 9:10am

Hunterr3, no - I was not implying that Ghost 10 would support a bootable DVD image.

IP Logged

hunterr3
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 9:12am

Looks like im stuck finding version 8.x and some licenses

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 9:53am

hunterr3 wrote on Aug 1st, 2006 at 9:12am:
"... Looks like im stuck finding version 8.x and some licenses..."

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11506... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print