Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copying partitioned HD to external HD in Ghost 10 (Read 31898 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Copying partitioned HD to external HD in Ghost
Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 9:57am

kirby

Quote:
But, when I go to add partition 2 (D:) to the external drive, it tells me all data will be overwritten.

When doing your second procedure--are you able to *see* and select *unallocated* space to copy the second partition to the destination HDD--if you are saving to *unallocated* space, then you can not be *over-writing* anything.

Quote:
I did a copy with partition 1 (C:) from the laptop to the external hard drive -- it takes up about half the space on the external.

If you are following Brian's recommendation *but don't tick “resize drive to fill unallocated space”--why is a partition that must be smaller than the 60 GB HDD it's coming from (being as there are two partitions on it) taking up half the size of a 120 GB destination HDD?

Strange results!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are ;) !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 1:52pm

kirby,

You are so close now. Just a few questions. How large are your C and D drive partitions? How much data is in each? Is the C drive copy on your external HD the same size as the C drive on the laptop? Is the remaining space on the external HD called Unallocated Space? Have a look at Disk Management to confirm this.

When you tried to copy the D drive, was there an option to not tick “resize drive to fill unallocated space”? Are you sure that you chose Unallocated Space as the destination for the D drive copy because it sounds like you chose the C drive copy as the destination? Just a thought.

The thought to remember is that you are not doing any harm to your laptop. If you do accidentally overwrite a partition on the external HD it doesn’t really matter. You can just start again.

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 5:29pm

The partition labeled C: is 15gig
The partition labeled D: is 25 gig
The external drive is 120 gig.

Ghost > copy my hard drive > next > drive to copy >  choose C: > next > destination > F [external] > next >
check source for file system errors          yes
check destination for file system errors    yes

resize drive to fill unallocated space -- greyed out
destinatiion partition type -- greyed out

nothing else selected

next > finish > all data on the destination drive will be overwritten. Are you sure you want to proceed?

After I copied the C: I followed the same steps for the D: and stopped at the overwrite message.

Just got home from work -- thanks in advance for the help!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 5:41pm

kirby, thanks for all the details as they are certainly helpful.

Quote:
destination > F [external] >

As the external HD had a drive letter it could not have been Unallocated Space. Unallocated Space does not show in My Computer. There is no drive letter. It does show in Disk Management (Right click My Computer, click Manage, Disk Management). From here, to delete a partition you right click your external HD partition and click Delete partition. Once it's empty, reboot and confirm there is no drive letter. From here on, it should be easy.

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 5:46pm

There are no partitions on the external HD.

When I initially hooked it up, it was represented by * , not a drive letter, so I assigned a drive letter to it.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 5:51pm

In the Ghost wizard you will be asked for a partition type. Choose primary for the C drive and don't tick "set drive active". You will need to choose a drive letter too from the drop down arrow. Any letter is OK.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 5:53pm

Quote:
When I initially hooked it up, it was represented by * , not a drive letter, so I assigned a drive letter to it.

Did you assign this letter from Ghost or prior to starting Ghost?

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 6:21pm

I don't remember if Ghost was open when I assigned the drive letter through disc manager (my computer)

Do I need to format the external hard drive? It currently has the C: partition copied on to it -- reformatting no problem to start fresh.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 6:34pm

kirby wrote on Aug 1st, 2006 at 6:21pm:
I don't remember if Ghost was open when I assigned the drive letter through disc manager (my computer)

Ah, that was the problem. Don't assign a drive letter through Disk Management for what we are doing. No problem (for me anyway). Start again by deleting the partition on your external HD. Reboot and make sure there is no drive letter for the external HD. Start Ghost and this time it should work.

Questions?

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 6:44pm

OK, Brian -- so far, so good. I am copying now, and am betting it will take about 3 hours. If I don't write back tonight, I'll post in the AM.  Right now, it says it is copying to unallocated space.

Thanks so much for your help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 6:53pm

I'm pleased. Sorry if I confused you initially.

How much data is on your C and D drives? Your copying time is long so I guess you have a USB 1 connection.

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 7:00pm

Yes -- the USB 1 is the killer. But, the VAIO is so small and lightweight compared to my Toshiba laptop that it's worth saving and sending in for service. Can't do high horsepower stuff on it, but I can work around that.  I bought this VAIO just after 9/11 when they cut us down to one carry-on for the airplane. This fits in a generously-sized purse.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 7:12pm

Yes, my USB 1 connections get 1 MB/second, USB 2 connections get 25 MB/second and external SATA connections get 45 MB/second.

For anyone reading this thread we are not doing

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

as our aim is not to make a bootable partition.

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 7:02pm

Brian, it worked like a charm. Thanks.

This is the best I can remember of the steps. Can you double-check for me? Then, maybe post as a sticky?

To copy a partitioned hard drive to an external hard drive using Ghost 10 in Windows XP Home

Attach external hard drive to computer
Start > right click on my computer > disk management look for * drive, do not assign it a drive number (this drive will not show up in Explore)

Exit from disk management

Open Ghost
Copy my hard drive > choose one of your partitions (represented by drive letters) to copy on to external HD > next > choose * drive for destination (this represents your external HD) > next > options

DO NOT choose resize drive to fill unallocated space
CHOOSE * drive letter
>next > copy

This will copy one partition from your current HD to your external HD
After this is done, start over from the beginning, choosing the other partition to copy
As long as you do not assign a drive letter to the external HD during this process, you will NOT get the message “all data will be overwritten” when you try to do the second partition copy on to the same external HD.

When done, shut down computer, remove external hard drive. If you have another computer, check external HD – other computer should recognize partitions automatically and assign drive letters. 

If I missed anything, please correct. Am I right in that you don't have to choose primary or logical partition in the copy options screen?

Thanks again -- as long as you check, Brian -- would love to leave this for others since Symantec doesn't get this.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 7:16pm

That's good news, kirby.

I agree with your summary. The better news is that you don't have to do this again. Now that the partitions have been established you can copy as you did before. The C drive goes to the Copy C drive partition and does overwrite the data. Same for D drive.

In Disk Management you will have around 60 GB of unallocated space. Right click and format this as a logical NTFS partition and accept the drive letter. Now you have 3 partitions on your external HD. Use the third for whatever you like.

When you are ready I'd like to convince you that images are a better way to go than what we have done.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print