Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copying partitioned HD to external HD in Ghost 10 (Read 31745 times)
kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Copying partitioned HD to external HD in Ghost
Reply #30 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 7:52pm

Well, Brian, I don't intend to be backing up partitioned drives much. I just needed to do this one for service so I don't pay them to back it up for me. I live on my desktop, which I copy every night to external HD, and the reason I like that is because then I can connect that non-bootable external HD to any of my laptops, grab what I need and go. Being able to simply copy data is ideal for how I operate.

After 3 disasters of laptops crashing (Acer, Compaq, Toshiba)
and dying -- I don't keep a whole lot hanging around on them. This was totally for convenince with all my customizations that I can re-load. I would re-install programs, anyway. Just good practice, I've found.

Why do you prefer an image?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Copying partitioned HD to external HD in Ghost
Reply #31 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 12:40am

kirby, your recent post made me change my mind. Your technique of data backup is fine and obviously suits your circumstances. I back up my data with Second Copy but there are numerous suitable apps. The OS/program partition is really the only partition that must be imaged. If you have a HD failure then that image can be restored to your newly purchased HD. Your data is then copied into a data partition (like your Sony setup) and you are up and running in less than an hour. Some people backup the OS/program partition by Copy Drive (cloning) and this is what Dan has to say…

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11329...

Another of Dan’s articles on backup is a classic even though it was written a few years ago.
http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#13

You mentioned..
Quote:
I have had nightmares restoring images in the past

What happened? Restoring images should be straight forward.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print