Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copying partitioned HD to external HD in Ghost 10 (Read 31729 times)
kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Copying partitioned HD to external HD in Ghost 10
Jul 31st, 2006 at 1:57pm

I have spent over an hour with Symantec online chat, and I have gotten no where.

I have a SONY VAIO, Win XP, Ghost 10.

Have been using Ghost 10 to COPY my desktop non-partitioned C to an external. No problems, I love it. I prefer to COPY than backup an image so I can pick and choose what I want from the external backup.

I need to send the VAIO in for service, and the HD will come back wiped. Thus, I want to copy the SONY hard drive to my external.

External is 120 gig -- SONY is 60gig

PROBLEM -- SONY partitions the hard drive into C: and D: -- it's a SONY thing. In Ghost, I cannot copy C&D to the external drive together -- and Symantec says I can't do it sequentially, either (because D will overwrite the copy of C I put on the external drive first).

It seems to me that this is a simple thing to do, and the Sym tech support just doesn't understand English well enough to answer my question.

So, how do I COPY a partitioned C (into C and D) on to a single external hard drive as a backup before I send the VAIO in for service?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Copying partitioned HD to external HD in Ghost
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 4:00pm

kirby wrote on Jul 31st, 2006 at 1:57pm:
I need to send the VAIO in for service, and the HD will come back wiped. Thus, I want to copy the SONY hard drive to my external.

kirby,

I'm not quite clear on your partitioning. At present you have a non partitioned HD, with just a C drive. You expect the HD to be wiped when it returns from Sony. Where does the D drive fit in?

It's early here. Maybe I'm slow today.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 4:07pm

kirby wrote on Jul 31st, 2006 at 1:57pm:
"... I need to send the VAIO in for service, and the HD will come back wiped.  Thus, I want to copy the SONY hard drive to my external..."

If I were faced with your situation, I would simply route a legacy Norton Ghost "disk-to-image" Backup of your entire MASTER HDD to your external HDD.  After all, you almost certainly have on hand three different mechanisms to undertake such a task where a series of 2GB sub-sets are created - and where the initial file has the extension *.gho with all subseqent files having the extension *.ghs.  When the wiped HDD is returned, boot from your Norton Ghost 10.0 Recovery disk to perform a legacy Restore of the MASTER HDD in toto.

The first mechanism is employing the
Norton Ghost 2003 CD
that is included with Norton Ghost 10.0 - the retail boxed copies, that is.  The second mechanism is booting from your
Norton Ghost 10.0 CD
and engaging the Backup procedure in the Windows Preinstalled Environment by following the path 'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'.  The third - and most convoluted mechanism - is to use the
Norton Ghost 8.2 derivative RESTOREGHOST.EXE (aka GHOST32.EXE)
taken from the Norton Ghost 10.0 CD and embed it in a BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) bootable CD.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 5:14pm

El_Pescador wrote on Jul 31st, 2006 at 4:07pm:
"... The third - and most convoluted mechanism - is to use the
Norton Ghost 8.2 derivative RESTOREGHOST.EXE (aka GHOST32.EXE)
taken from the Norton Ghost 10.0 CD and embed it in a BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) bootable CD..."

CLICK HERE for commentary on using Norton Ghost 8.2 in a Windows Preinstalled Environment as opposed to using DOS-dependent Norton Ghost 2003 et al.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 5:36pm

I'm not so sure on the reason, but when I bought the VAIO, it came partitioned. My understanding is that "it's a SONY thing" For the most part, I have put programs on C and data on D but not reliable enough to let C: go and just reinstall programs.. But physically, as I understand,  it is one drive.

I  really would prefer to copy rather than image -- I have had nightmares restoring images in the past and I downloaded Ghost.

I thought I would be able to <shift> or <ctrl> and select both C & D as source drives and copy them to my one external drive that's double the size of the two together. But, no.

Is that more clear? Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 7:16pm

OK, I'm clear now. Single HD, two partitions.

First up, Copy Drive.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11393...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

You would need to Copy Drive twice. First from your 60 GB to the 120 GB and them back again. I'd strongly advise against this as there is a good chance that your final result won't boot. It should boot, but if you stray from the above recommendations then you won't be happy with the result. Have a think about this and let us know what you decide. We'll help you through the stages.

Do you have Partition Magic?

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 8:03pm

I do not have Partition Magic, and I don't care about a bootable external HD.  When I get it back, the original XP will be installed, with the SONY partition, ready for me to load software.

I want all the data copied so I can poke around and move things from the external back to the internal hard drive -- but not programs or XP -- I'd prefer a fresh install.

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 8:13pm

Brian, I've now had the chance to read your links. My BIG question is that when I have copied from my desktop (non-partitoned to non) to my external drive, just before the copy it says, "Data on destination drive will be overwritten" -- if I am copying one partition after another, will the second partition copy overwrite the first or sit nicely beside it and keep its hands to itself?

I can certainly try it -- but that would be an overnight cooy ~6hr

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 8:19pm

kirby wrote on Jul 31st, 2006 at 8:03pm:
I want all the data copied so I can poke around and move things from the external back to the internal hard drive -- but not programs or XP -- I'd prefer a fresh install.

Sounds easy. I'd start with an empty external HD. From Disk Management delete the partition on your external HD and just leave it as Unallocated Space. Reboot. Using Ghost 10 from Windows, Copy Drive your C drive as you have done in the past but don't tick “resize drive to fill unallocated space”. Now Copy Drive your D drive and don't tick “resize drive to fill unallocated space”.

Your external HD should now have your C and D drives the same sizes as on your 60 GB HD. There will be almost 60 GB of Unallocated Space on your external HD which we can deal with later.

Any questions?

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 8:23pm

So, I can copy sequentially and not have the first copy wiped out by the second partition? Sounds great to me.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 8:26pm

There is another way to do what you desire. With images. Go ahead with the above but an alternative way is to create  C and D drive images on your external HD and when your computer returns from Sony, install Ghost 10 and mount these images as virtual drives. This takes seconds and you have access to all files in the images. I think it's better than Copy Drive but do what you feel is more comfortable.

Images are better in the long run as you can store images from your two computers on the same external HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 8:36pm

One thing I didn't point out is when you are choosing a destination for your Copy, choose Unallocated Space on the external HD each time. For the C and D drive copy, each goes to Unallocated Space so it doesn't over write data.

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 9:11pm

Let me give it a try and I'll check in tomorrow. Thanks!

IP Logged

kirby
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 8:17am

I did a copy with partition 1 (C:) from the laptop to the external hard drive -- it takes up about half the space on the external. But, when I go to add partition 2 (D:) to the external drive, it tells me all data will be overwritten. So, looks like I can't do it sequentially.

Would the easiest thing be to partition the external drive, copy partition to partition for now, and when I get the laptop back and re-load, just re-format the external without partitions?

This is getting out of my league -- so I need help on the partition thing -- and how would I do the partition (do not have Partition Magic).

Thanks!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 9:42am

kirby wrote on Aug 1st, 2006 at 8:17am:
"... This is getting out of my league -- so I need help on the partition thing -- and how would I do the partition (do not have Partition Magic)..."
Pleonasm wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 10:56am:
"... I would add that the use of Ghost 8.2 provides application redundancy for an image backup strategy.  Personally, I use Ghost 10 as my primary image backup solution, but about once a month I create a .GHO image backup with Ghost 8.2... consider that the use of Ghost 8.2 through the Ghost 10 recovery environment CD allows a user to create and save an image of a “factory fresh” PC before any applications are installed.  Obviously, this objective could not be done with Ghost 10..."

As you can see above, the use of Norton Ghost 8.2 is not mutually exclusive from the use of Norton Ghost 10.0 (I have not tried it, but I have explicit faith in the judgement of Pleonasm).  Using a legacy Ghost "disk-to-image" Backup/Restore - as opposed to "partition-to-image" - is a simple and straightforward tactic you should consider.  The concern with partitions will then become a non-issue.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print