Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Hangs (Read 6859 times)
newfilter
N00b

CA, USA

Ghost Hangs
Aug 1st, 2006 at 10:53pm

I have been using Ghost 2003 for a couple of years making regular backups. I recently added a third sata hard drive and a new monitor so I decided to make a DVD back up, something that I only do about every 6 months. I have one of these HDD just for ghost images and nti backup files of my programs and other files. I only use ghost 2003 to image my system partition c: . Ghost starts up it looks normal, it gives me the 1.2. options and I choose 1 or I let the time roll and it defaults to 1. run ghost. At that point the applicatin seems to hang up. Nothing happens for several minutes, I never get the ghost applicatin screen. I tried to start up from my Ghost Dos Disc and that does work, the ghost screen comes up and I can verify an image and then quit the disc and boot into winXP. I tried 3 different times to do my Ghost job and after the initial choice screen and 1. is chosen I get nuttin' , nada, zero. Does anyone know what has happened? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Ghost? I have not tried that. Could it have something to do with my drive letters getting up into n: and then I also have one partition labeled v:?? I know it sounds excessive but I store video files. I am really stumped and I just can't figure this one out. Any help is appreciated.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost Hangs
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 11:54pm

newfilter

So, your motherboard supports SATA HDD's, and you had 2 SATA HDD's hooked up and Ghost 2003 was working fine--correct?

Quote:
Ghost starts up it looks normal, it gives me the 1.2. options and I choose 1 or I let the time roll and it defaults to 1. run ghost

Well, that sounds like when Ghost is trying to address the various hardware (HDD's and CD and DVD drives), it's running into an incompatible component--my first guess is that third SATA HDD--but if Ghost has been working okay with the two other SATA HDD's, then that's hard to understand why that might be!

Booting from the Ghost CD?  Or, are you setting things up in Windows, and the system is closing down and re-booting to the Ghost *virtual partition*?

Is your motherboard set up to run 4 SATA HDD's? 

Can you plug the 3rd SATA into the remaining 4th SATA controller port?

Disconnect that 3rd SATA HDD--does the Ghost operation work okay now?

Quote:
Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Ghost?

I wouldn't do that until all other options for trouble shooting have been tried--I doubt this would be a problem or a solution!

Quote:
Could it have something to do with my drive letters getting up into n: and then I also have one partition labeled v:??

Not a likely issue!

Quote:
I tried to start up from my Ghost Dos Disc and that does work,

Interesting--if you are setting things up in the Windows Ghost GUI, you can see in the final screen what the *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys* files will be when the system boots to the virtual partition--or you may be able to *View Log* to see what the setup was--and if any errors are recorded in the log of the failed attempt--compare the boot files in the Windows GUI with what you have on the boot floppy disk.

Report back with the results of your troubleshooting.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

newfilter
N00b

CA, USA

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 1:33pm

YES, my motherboard has a Via SATA controller and a Promise SATA controller on board. For some reason when I went to a 2 HDD setup I could not get my second Via port to work properly so I just used the Primary Promise Port at that time. For this new 3rd drive I use the Secondary Promise Port, I was never able to get my 4th port (the sec. Via Controller port) to work right, I don't plan to use it. The drives are all of the same type, same brand Maxtor 200 GB.

The first time that Ghost ran it recognized that there was a new drive installed, it asked if I wanted to use it with Ghost and warned me that the app was only for "personal" use. I simply selected YES and the message/warning was gone.

When the problem occurred I was kind of stuck in the blinking cursor mode, even when I ctrl/alt/delete, dos would restart and the ghost event would begin but get stuck, I was in the virtual partition. At that point I could not get back out to where I could choose 2 and abort the attempted back up. So rather than just crash my machine I crtl/alt/delete inserted my DOS Boot disc (which I made with your help ~ your tutorial is simply the bomb) and was able to get into the ghost setup from the CD rather than the virtual partition. From there ghost fully loaded and I went in a verified an image that was on my hard drive, It worked fine and then I was able to gracefully get out of that and boot into windows.
Actually that image that I verified is one that I had moved to the new hard drive. I don’t like moving or defragging the ghost images and that is why I wanted to create new images as soon as possible.

I'll can try disconnecting the new drive, but I am at work now. HEY IN WRITING THIS I JUST REMEMBERED THAT WHEN I PUT THE 3RD DRIVE IN I SWAPPED POSITIONS WITH THE EXISTING (2ND) DRIVE. MY ORIGINAL BOOT DISK IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN DISK 0, BUT THE BRAND NEW (3RD) DRIVE BECAME DISK 1, AND MY EXISTING 2ND DRIVE BECAME DISK 2. MAYBE GHOST IS CONFUSED BECAUSE I SWAPPED THE DRIVES. I did this simply because the SATA cable fit better that way; I didn't think it would affect anything.

What I was thinking was perhaps if I re-install Ghost; it will re-asses my computer setup and work correctly. I plan to make all new backups that is no problem; my system is working well right now, of course except for this issue.

I read the log and it did not seem to give a clue, simply said that the backup failed, but I'll read it again and copy it here if you'd like. I can also get the case open if necessary once I get home from work this evening.

Thanks for getting back to me.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 2:14pm

newfilter

Uninstalling and reinstalling Ghost 2003 has become a problem--Symantec is no longer supporting LiveUpdate for Ghost 2003--so depending on the Ghost 2003 build on your installation disc, you may end up with a older version.

Ghost 2003 & Live Update ? ? ?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

newfilter
N00b

CA, USA

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 2:42pm

WOW!
My eyes are open! Can you beat that Symantec...DOGS. I think what I will do is pop the case and swap the drives on the Promise controller even if it means re-mounting the drives. I just have a gut feeling you know. If that does not work then well... Plan B. I'll get back to you with results. This forum (and I am registered in many) is by far the very best I've seen, no kiddin.
Thanks again, newfilter

IP Logged

newfilter
N00b

CA, USA

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 10:04pm

BINGO!

Nightowl you solved the problem simply by asking some very pertinent questions. The problem was the drive sequence, I had changed it when I installed that third HDD. I came home tonight and rearranged my cables, changing the disk sequence again, I put my newest drive last as it really should have been anyway. I cranked it up and started Ghost through windows and WA-LA it preformed in it's usual manner. Had I not come around and asked questions I just might have tried to re-install Ghost not being aware of of the latest issue related to the Live Update and I would have had a bigger problem on my hands. I just can't say enough good stuff about you and the Radified Forums.
Thanks again - newfilter  Grin

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 10:25pm

Re1: "
This forum (and I am registered in many) is by far the very best I've seen, no kiddin
."

Re2: "
I just can't say enough good stuff about you and the Radified Forums
."

Thanks for the kind words.

IP Logged

mvanner
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 5:33pm

Ok, I got all that, but does someone know why after doing a back-up Norton Ghost process ghost tray.exe would go spinning out of control and require a reboot to resolve the problem. This is on the latest and greatest version NG 10.
The system has SystemWorks 2006 as well. NSW was installed prior to NG. The backup device is a NAS attached disk device. Symantec support has just replied back with excerpts from the manuals, not terribly useful.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 6:04pm

mvanner,

Quote:
spinning out of control

Interesting, but I don't know what you mean. Ghosttray.exe isn't necessary and I've disabled mine in msconfig. I've seen reports of it causing problems so why don't you try disabling it and see if that helps.

IP Logged

mvanner
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 6:20pm

By spinning out of control, it's in a tight code loop (spin is an old IBM mainframe term). The process isn't responding to the GUI and even when try to activate it from the taskbar it doesn't respond. It uses up to 100% CPU. I used a product called process explorer from sysinternals to examine what was going on with the system. It shows where in the code the process is spending it's time, context switches, etc. A very useful utility.

I haven't tried disabling it, but I've turned off automatic backups for now. I'll have a look at disabling it and see if that at least solves the problem.

Thanks
Michael

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 6:23pm

I've learnt a new term. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print